Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

23/11/13 - World Cup Semi Final 1: England v New Zealand (Wembley)

Who will win?   110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 25 points or more
    • England by 19 to 24 points
    • England by 13 to 18 points
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 to 18 points
    • New Zealand by 19 to 24 points
    • New Zealand by 25 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

780 posts in this topic

Agreed Sam Burgess should be opposite SBW, Sam has plenty of form in smashing Sonny, and we'll need the edge that will bring if he can dominate him again.

New zealand by four.we would have more chance if we changed our half backs and I also think cudjoe will bottle it.my team would be. Tomkins, charnley watkins ablett hall widdop burrow hill mcolorum gburgess sburgess westwood oloughlin. Subs. Graham ferres roby farrel.

Seriously, do people not actually watch how players play before they pass comment on their abilities?

Cudjoe and Watkins kept the so called superhuman Aussie centres quiet at Wembley (and Cudjoe outjumped 4 Aussies for his try). What they have lacked is quality ball with space ahead of them, when they have got it, they have cut loose

Our back 5 are the equal to ANY of NZ or Aus.

No they're not, and the game you refer to was at the Millenium Stadium, not Wembley.

The back 3 you could make a case for, but our 3/4 aren't at the same level as Australia's.  They have cut loose against weaker opposition which is what you would expect them to do.  On the left there has been scope for the centre to be far more clinical instead he's gone for the glory option, and has been lucky to get away with it.  His goal line defence has also been very weak. 

I can't see beyond New Zealand unfortunately. Our decision making is poor, we force the play and we don't respect possession .We also make too many silly mistakes, especially in our own half. The Kiwi's know this and they'll just wait for the inevitable mistakes. I hope I'm wrong but for me it's New Zealand by two tries.

No they're not, and the game you refer to was at the Millenium Stadium, not Wembley.

The back 3 you could make a case for, but our 3/4 aren't at the same level as Australia's. They have cut loose against weaker opposition which is what you would expect them to do. On the left there has been scope for the centre to be far more clinical instead he's gone for the glory option, and has been lucky to get away with it. His goal line defence has also been very weak.

They have got next to zero quality ball, unlike the Aussies and Kiwis

And Cudjoe has put hall in for how many tries now? Doesn't suggest a greedy player to me...and you base his goal line defence on one. Poor tackle v Fiji?

Go back and watch all the Game of the "big 3"

Our back 5 are the match of any.

For England to win:

Option 1- All the England team to play to their full abilities- it would work, but Chase's confusion antics work against SL average players they don't against top internationals who watch, don't commit too early, assess and counter. Widdop to play?

Option 2- Bribe the Chef at the NZ team Hotel, it seemed to work for the Union team against NZ last year ;)

At cardiff watkins did well against inglis but I also think the aussies were far from their best that day.I would say we match them in the pack.but they are far superior from one to seven I think hall woulb be the only one with half a chance of getting in their side.

And Cudjoe has put hall in for how many tries now? Doesn't suggest a greedy player to me...and you base his goal line defence on one. Poor tackle v Fiji?

Our back 5 is easily the best we have had for many many a year, it's all class and we have a choice of 2 class wingers in the right. Last WC we had mark calderwood and ade gardener on the wing.

At cardiff watkins did well against inglis but I also think the aussies were far from their best that day.

We were far from our best that day too.

I have a feeling a new Zealander will be the downfall for England resulting in a nz win -please don't put that headless chicken in an England shirt.

No point going through it with you, you've made your mind already.  I was also thinking about the effort in the corner for one of Australia's tries too.   He was lucky to put Hall in for some of them tries, his first decision was to go for the glory himself, he was lucky the defence wasn't better or he wouldn't have been able to get it out to Hall.

He has all the skills in the world, but his decision making is way off where it needs to be.

NZ have had an off spell in most of their games like england. plus they havent really had a game like eng v aus. plus we are at home and in front of 60k+. last WC england were rubbish but only lost by 10 in aus.

Think we can win need a massive 80 mins also cut out pens 10 meters out resulting in a try also pls can we have a French ref and lineman not a newzealand lineman and aussie ref. They are a very good side but so are we come on england kick ass 

if we get within 10 points we've done well,

our 3/4 are average apart from Hall

our halfbacks are a joke,a srum half who's never played it for his club nevermind internationally that has the pace of Paul Wellens and a stand off that is just a show pony,

NZ aint perfect their FB & SH aint no great shakes,but the rest of their team can match ours.

might be better going out at this stage than getting totally embarrassed by a up and running Aussie team

Let's really get behide them sat and make some noise who knows we might turn them over like when southend united beat man u. I know new Zealand are class and Australia. Are maybe better but it would be the best thing ever if we can win it .We got some world class players just need to turn it on 

What are you basing this on, who have NZ played that has vaguely given them a game?

Over 50 years of watching RL. Nobody.

No point going through it with you, you've made your mind already. I was also thinking about the effort in the corner for one of Australia's tries too. He was lucky to put Hall in for some of them tries, his first decision was to go for the glory himself, he was lucky the defence wasn't better or he wouldn't have been able to get it out to Hall.

He has all the skills in the world, but his decision making is way off where it needs to be.

So he was lucky to be able to have the strength to ride the tackle and skill to make the pass to put his winger in unopposed? Yeah. Ok.

And v the Ausies do you mean the try just before half time when Perenara moved Burgess to the wrong side of the scrum leaving 3v2?

At least I've based my thoughts on watching the game with an open mind

We've scored 24 trys in 4 games were not doing too bad on that score.

and scored 4..should have been 5 tries against australia...

we don't have a problem scoring tries...against anyone

my 17

1. tomkins
2. hall
3. cudjoe
4. watkins
5. charnley
6. chase
7. sinfield..........its not going to change guys so stop whinging about widdop lol
8. graham
9. roby
10. sam burgess
11. ferres
12. westwood
13. o'loughlin

14. burrow
15. george burgess
16. chris hill
17....not sure yet? 

its gonna be a massive forward battle so would probably go with mossop or tom burgess?

So he was lucky to be able to have the strength to ride the tackle and skill to make the pass to put his winger in unopposed? Yeah. Ok.

And v the Ausies do you mean the try just before half time when Perenara moved Burgess to the wrong side of the scrum leaving 3v2?

At least I've based my thoughts on watching the game with an open mind

Sorry Ant but your assesment of you basing your thoughts 'with an open mind' does just not sit true, in fact most people would believe that you have got quite an obsession or should that be a fixation for Leroy, you do come over quite juvenile with your comments on this topic.

and scored 4..should have been 5 tries against australia...

we don't have a problem scoring tries...against anyone

That was against an Australian team that used the game as a warm up.

You build into a series and England still have no idea who will be on the Bench and what part Widdop will play or even why he was selected in the squad.

Why should it have been five tries he was ruled out.

I've seen plenty of weaknesses in the Kiwi side. Sure at times they have looked brilliant especially now they have a good 7, but Scotland and Samoa both made plenty of yards against them.

Teams have also done ok out wide against them and that is an area where we are strong with Hall as top scorer.

I think this is a 50:50 game as it should be at this stage. Should be a cracker.

I've seen plenty of weaknesses in the Kiwi side. Sure at times they have looked brilliant especially now they have a good 7, but Scotland and Samoa both made plenty of yards against them.

Teams have also done ok out wide against them and that is an area where we are strong with Hall as top scorer.

I think this is a 50:50 game as it should be at this stage. Should be a cracker.

I agree.

Its hard to judge teams against the smaller Nations, you do not know if they are picking their best side or playing in top gear for the whole game.

How many times have there been games where a team racks up 40 in the first half and then only 4 points in the second half, foot comes off the gas.