Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jannerboyuk

Nrl chief exec visits

26 posts in this topic

Power in world sport is where the money is and it is very promising that one of RL's top administrators is looking beyond the end of his desk for a change

Good to see that he is looking at best practice in other sports. How much of this though is him looking at making the NRL stronger rather RL on a global scale.

It is rather concerning that he doesn't seem to have any meetings lined up with the RL heirarchy in the UK. If he does, surely that would warrant a mention in the article?

I seem to remember reading that there is a RLIF meeting in London this weekend.

I think it would go without needing to be said that he will be speaking to the RFL in the lead up to the final

I think the RFl news that the RLEF/RLIF will take responsibility for developing nations like the Celts means the NRL must now play a proactive part in those organisations, and the RFL wouldn't cast out the Celts without a safety net. As dumb as they can be I think even the RFL are not that incompetent.

This guy is THE major mover and shaker in world RL and he is over here. There are no coincidences.

First class all the way. Meanwhile we have kids in the outback needing head gear and shoulder pads

Hope his vision is for the wider game of rugby league and not just the NRL. I expect we will look back on this moment in a few year's time and recognise that it was a pivotal moment in the history of rugby league.

I just hope we aren't reflecting about it, in the same way people often reflect about 1995 and what should have happened with rugby league in Wales.

First class all the way. Meanwhile we have kids in the outback needing head gear and shoulder pads

head gear and shoulder pads were never provided when my boy played here in Canberra. Why should they be provided in the outback?

Funding is available from the RLIF. Apparantly. ;)

Well, you could do what a player over here has done for his native PNG and get clubs to donate gear. 

First off, let's not forget the guy is Welsh. Secondly, he is the best thing that has ever happened to rugby league.

I have followed his progress since he begun, yes he cops a lot of Criticism from the aussie press, ignore that and look beyond and you see a man with passion and vision.

Here is one example that you can see with your own eyes the results.

He came in and banned the Biff, during Origin mind you. He knows the game will never grow if that is rugby leagues future.

Next he banned the Shoulder charge, again he did not want mums seeing their kids stretchered off the field because the rules allowed this to happen.

Results, now this is where you can see results, and most have not noticed.

This world cup, ? it has gone from a sport, a code played by thugs, to a code that is brutal, fast yet fair, and players who can come together and honestly have not one bad feeling, even after a bit of biff.

Biff happens, you will never get rid of the biff, and i dont thing Dave Snmith wants that, he just wanted rules to say, dont think out game encourages that sort of behavior.

Dave Smith is going to grow the code internationally. and if you follow him, his progress on the ground, you can see his mind ticking over.

He has already been in England at this World Cup. he is back in England again.

This man, this Ceo is probably the best thing to ever happen to rugby league, why, because he knows the world and he has vision, and he cares little for Australian press.

In 30 years time he will be our codes great white hope.

He has put together directly under him a group of 7, now these seven senior people are the best in the land.

And what makes this even more impressive is they are all governed by a commision, who are even more passionate about the game.

The Commission.

Rugby leagues future starts now.

You need only look at Fiji, and lets not forget, they went from 100 thousand a year to 1 million a year in under 10 years.

Rugby league is now in safe hands.  

First off, let's not forget the guy is Welsh. Secondly, he is the best thing that has ever happened to rugby league.

I have followed his progress since he begun, yes he cops a lot of Criticism from the aussie press, ignore that and look beyond and you see a man with passion and vision.

He came in and banned the Biff, during Origin mind you. He knows the game will never grow if that is rugby leagues future.

Next he banned the Shoulder charge, again he did not want mums seeing their kids stretchered off the field because the rules allowed this to happen.

This world cup, ? it has gone from a sport, a code played by thugs, to a code that is brutal, fast yet fair, and players who can come together and honestly have not one bad feeling, even after a bit of biff.

Biff happens, you will never get rid of the biff, and i dont thing Dave Snmith wants that, he just wanted rules to say, dont think out game encourages that sort of behavior.

Dave Smith is going to grow the code internationally. and if you follow him, his progress on the ground, you can see his mind ticking over.

This man, this Ceo is probably the best thing to ever happen to rugby league, why, because he knows the world and he has vision, and he cares little for Australian press.

He has put together directly under him a group of 7, now these seven senior people are the best in the land.

And what makes this even more impressive is they are all governed by a commision, who are even more passionate about the game.

The Commission.

You need only look at Fiji, and lets not forget, they went from 100 thousand a year to 1 million a year in under 10 years.

Bold words!

Are you his mum or publicist?

He has put together directly under him a group of 7, now these seven senior people are the best in the land.

The Commission.

You need only look at Fiji, and lets not forget, they went from 100 thousand a year to 1 million a year in under 10 years.

Not only massive criticism from the Media but also the majority of the Fans, he is not the best fit for the role in most peoples opinion.

Not only massive criticism from the Media but also the majority of the Fans, he is not the best fit for the role in most peoples opinion.

I need to check what LeagueFreak thinks.  :ph34r:

Why?

Most people are idiots. He is the best thing to happen to rugby league in Australia (and nz) in a long time. He has vision and knows how to grow a business. The nrl is in safe hands!

majority? Rubbish.

Most people are idiots. He is the best thing to happen to rugby league in Australia (and nz) in a long time. He has vision and knows how to grow a business. The nrl is in safe hands!

Why?

What is his vision, jumping castles?

majority? Rubbish.

He may be a decent businessman but he has no roots in the game he is a Welsh Rugby Union man and I think many fans believe there are plenty of shrewd business people who know and love this game rather than this man.

Getting half the media offside is hardly a great move normally.

Noticed on his twitter feed that he'd been to see Arsenal yesterday.. Big mistake. At least he probably now knows how not to run a club.

He may be a decent businessman but he has no roots in the game he is a Welsh Rugby Union man and I think many fans believe there are plenty of shrewd business people who know and love this game rather than this man.

Getting half the media offside is hardly a great move normally.

half the oz media will ##### and moan regardless of who the boss is.

Shrewd Aussie business folk were more than welcome to apply for the job. I sure some did but it seems they were found wanting. The best applicant got the job. Who cares if he has a Welsh background and has played some rugby union? I don't. The guy is a pro who didn't come out of the local incestuous pool of rugby league "business men".

Why?

What is his vision, jumping castles?

So far increased advertising revenue, salary cap being reviewed, increased membership, aligning with touch football, funding for grass roots, expansion on agenda, nrl 9's, 5 year plan, international vision and plenty more things which have previously been completely ignored.

half the oz media will ##### and moan regardless of who the boss is.

Shrewd Aussie business folk were more than welcome to apply for the job. I sure some did but it seems they were found wanting. The best applicant got the job. Who cares if he has a Welsh background and has played some rugby union? I don't. The guy is a pro who didn't come out of the local incestuous pool of rugby league "business men".

How do you know he was the best applicant?

He got the job but that could have been for many reasons.

So far increased advertising revenue, salary cap being reviewed, increased membership, aligning with touch football, funding for grass roots, expansion on agenda, nrl 9's, 5 year plan, international vision and plenty more things which have previously been completely ignored.

The Salary cap was always going to be reviewed regardless of who was in the position due to the media deal increase.

The increased membership? you mean Club memberships, don't the Clubs do this.

Aligning with touch football is neither here or there.

Funding for grass roots is good and that comes from the new media deal.

Expansion has been on the Agenda for several years nothing new there.

The NRL 9's is a new concept which suits many I guess.

What is his International vision?

You are just trotting out things that have been coming through regardless, you can not say this man is behind all of these things.

If Gallop or any other CEO had the massive increase in revenue you don't think they could do a couple of things?

Put him in charge of the English game and see what he can do with those resources and if he turns the Sponsorship and Media deal around under those circumstances and I would think he was something.