Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Congratulations to Hull: voted the new city of culture.

60 posts in this topic

Well done to Hull on being voted the new city of culture. Time now to show the detractors that Hull can be seen in a different light. Enjoy your year. 

Yes congratulations Hull.  I assume Tracey Lazenby will be giving some kind of acceptance speech later.

One BBC News presenter seemed shocked that Hull had won the vote over Dundee, Leicester and Swansea, as it the city was not worthy!

I kept this quiet as i did not want to destroy Hulls chances. Now i can reveal that I and Mrs John are planning to visit the museums, art galleries and pubs of Hull any day soon.

It depends what you define as "culture". I've been on the late bus back to Bransholme on a Friday night. That was a "cultural" experience and a half!

Joking aside, whenever I've visited Hull (wife's family is there) I've enjoyed it. The people are welcoming, the museums and galleries are good and the history is very interesting.

Congrats Hull!

I kept this quiet as i did not want to destroy Hulls chances. Now i can reveal that I and Mrs John are planning to visit the museums, art galleries and pubs of Hull any day soon.

It will be interesting to see what both Hull FC and Hull City organise. I'm sure they will get in the spirit of celebration. 

I am glad that Hull got it. Bradford was in the running for it a few years back, a city that desperately needed it and also has an interesting history to boot. I think it went to Liverpool. Because as we know, Liverpool has had nothing spent on it since the 80's. Now its probably too late to rescue Bradford.

I am glad that Hull got it. Bradford was in the running for it a few years back, a city that desperately needed it and also has an interesting history to boot. I think it went to Liverpool. Because as we know, Liverpool has had nothing spent on it since the 80's. Now its probably too late to rescue Bradford.

The City of Liverpool is now coming under severe criticism for some new buildings that are uninspiring to say the least, and out of character with such as the Liver Building. Some say it's destroying what has been achieved.

You'll be finished by 11am. Plenty of decent pubs to admire afterwards though.

No truth, apparently, in the rumour that one of the exhibits at 'The Deep' is Stanley Gene's first fishing rod, as rescued by scuba divers. ;) 

wow, hull a city of culture! I live in and I am from hull, and I could not care less about it. hull is a dump, and a dead end.

One BBC News presenter seemed shocked that Hull had won the vote over Dundee, Leicester and Swansea, as it the city was not worthy!

Seeing the list of the competition explains a lot. I've not actually been to Hull but have been to Dundee, Leicester and Swansea and no disrespect to Hull, but that's not exactly setting the bar very high beating that lot.

Ahem, ahem...(clears throat.)

I'd like to thank you all for voting today, this means an awful lot to me and, obviously, everybody else in Hull.

(Aside from that miserable tw@ two posts above.)

I'm too choked up at the moment to read out my speech which I had ready because clearly we're the greatest.

If I can pull myself together, I'll be back later, got to go as my car alarm is sounding.

Any rerd I'm really pleased fer my Hull friends,they'll be getting their own terds ;) Will have to get on the rerd & visit one day #culture

Surely a rugby league based play involving the life story of Hull's finest son John Prescott is in order as part of its year of culture!!.... I'm getting right on that one now.. Working title of "Little Prezza of the red robin riddings".

Apologies for omitting Hull KR which seems to have been missed by other posters!  ;)

No apologies needed mate, noticed and much appreciated.

wow, hull a city of culture! I live in and I am from hull, and I could not care less about it. hull is a dump, and a dead end.

Time to move maybe?

How about Immingham, or Grimsby?

Time to move maybe?

even worse! moving is not really an option. I have kids who are settled at school, a wife with family, and my family. I may be accused of being miserable but I am not selfish.

I didn't mean I don't care about hull, I couldn't care less about the city of culture thing. I'm not a miserable , although I would be if I lived in west hull! I'm being realistic, there is nothing in hull at the minute. The deep? takes 30 minutes to walk around, st Stephens, Not a patch on Trafford centre or meadow hall. the museums, ye they are ok, but I wouldn't travel all the way to hull to see them. the marina? not much to look at, a few boats. nightlife, it's great if you like to see underage drinkers fighting and causing trouble.

What's that phrase?

Summat along the lines of "If you've nowt good to say then don't bother saying owt at all...

"

What's that phrase?

Summat along the lines of "If you've nowt good to say then don't bother saying owt at all...

"

sorry for having an opinion

Time to move maybe?

Oi!  We don't want him south of the Humber, if that's OK with you!!!

It will be interesting to see what both Hull FC and Hull City organise. I'm sure they will get in the spirit of celebration. 

You won't have to wait until 2017.

even worse! moving is not really an option. I have kids who are settled at school, a wife with family, and my family. I may be accused of being miserable but I am not selfish.

I didn't mean I don't care about hull, I couldn't care less about the city of culture thing. I'm not a miserable ######, although I would be if I lived in west hull! I'm being realistic, there is nothing in hull at the minute. The deep? takes 30 minutes to walk around, st Stephens, Not a patch on Trafford centre or meadow hall. the museums, ye they are ok, but I wouldn't travel all the way to hull to see them. the marina? not much to look at, a few boats. nightlife, it's great if you like to see underage drinkers fighting and causing trouble.

Hull is wonderful, and if you can't see the culture that goes on here then I suggest you get out of the house and look for it. The galleries, museums, history centre, fruit market etc. We just had a weekend of Rugby League history events at the History Centre and Ferens Art Gallery. Where were you? Perhaps if you support what goes on then the likes of me will have more impetus when it comes to securing funding for more events. Don't complain that nothing happens when you can't be bothered to leave your sofa to be a part of it.

As for your comments on shopping, who wants generic high street a la Meadowhall? Give me more individual shops any day.

I didn't mean I don't care about hull, I couldn't care less about the city of culture thing. I'm not a miserable ######, although I would be if I lived in west hull! I'm being realistic, there is nothing in hull at the minute. The deep? takes 30 minutes to walk around, st Stephens, Not a patch on Trafford centre or meadow hall. the museums, ye they are ok, but I wouldn't travel all the way to hull to see them. the marina? not much to look at, a few boats. nightlife, it's great if you like to see underage drinkers fighting and causing trouble.

I don't agree with your negative view but even if I did the whole point of the thing is that it's not so much about where we are now but what we aspire to be. 

I think it's great news for the city. I don't understand how it can be seen any other way.