Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Congratulations to Hull: voted the new city of culture.

60 posts in this topic

You won't have to wait until 2017.

Hull is wonderful, and if you can't see the culture that goes on here then I suggest you get out of the house and look for it. The galleries, museums, history centre, fruit market etc. We just had a weekend of Rugby League history events at the History Centre and Ferens Art Gallery. Where were you? Perhaps if you support what goes on then the likes of me will have more impetus when it comes to securing funding for more events. Don't complain that nothing happens when you can't be bothered to leave your sofa to be a part of it.

As for your comments on shopping, who wants generic high street a la Meadowhall? Give me more individual shops any day.

are you any relation to rob?

I was reading an article. Think it was the Telegraph. It had ten cultural reasons to love Hull. Number four was rugby league!

I was reading an article. Think it was the Telegraph. It had ten cultural reasons to love Hull. Number four was rugby league!

i would put that number 1

City of LOLture

Anyway, noticed the posters for the bid up when I was over for the PNG-France game.  Good luck, sure it will be a great year for the city.

it's a personal question, I've pm'd .

Ah, wires crossed on my part methinks, that's my name you see.  :huh:

ha, you thought I was psychic!

Actually, I thought you might be someone I know... :ph34r:

Apologies for omitting Hull KR which seems to have been missed by other posters!  ;)

That new swear filter really is the dog's ######.

wow, hull a city of culture! I live in and I am from hull, and I could not care less about it. hull is a dump, and a dead end.

Do you think people don't know that?

Try opening your other eye. Hull has a great deal to be proud of, which is the whole point: this is an opportunity to showcase that and bring investment into the city

Every city in the country is a shytehole if you look in the right places

Every city in the country is a gem if you look in the right places

Hull is no different

Good for hull

Do you think people don't know that?

Try opening your other eye. Hull has a great deal to be proud of, which is the whole point: this is an opportunity to showcase that and bring investment into the city

Every city in the country is a shytehole if you look in the right places

Every city in the country is a gem if you look in the right places

Hull is no different

Good for hull

if it can create lots of jobs then I will be happy, by what people are saying it will, so let's see.

if it can create lots of jobs then I will be happy, by what people are saying it will, so let's see.

Well that would be great and is obviously partly the object of the exercise

But your city is a fascinating place with lots going for it this us a chance to bring that fact to the country's attention including it would seem some if the people who live there

I may be desensitised to the place, but I do not see the fascinating things.

Maybe they will be revealed to you during hulls year as city of culture

I may be desensitised to the place, but I do not see the fascinating things.

Maybe they will be revealed to you during hulls year as city of culture

Congratulations to Hull, I'm sure the award is well deserved and willl be exploited to the full. I know the bid people and supporters from Dundee were extremely disappointed, although they were quick to congratulate the winners.

It is easy for people to scoff at old industrial cities, but these are just the sorts of places where 'culture' is all too often hidden, particularly in a "culture's not for the likes of us" sort of way. This celebration will be chance for the city to explore itself, redefine what aspects of city life actually are cultural, and to show its efforts to the world (well, to the UK, at least).

This year the UK City of Culture has been Derry-Londonderry (the official city title in UKCOC terms). I haven't taken that much notice of it other than a radio programme about the fleadh that was organised as part of the celebrations. A fleadh is a sort of festival of traditional Irish music, dance, poetry, and is particularly associated with the Gaelic/Catholic/nationalist community in that part of the UK. As you would expect it was packed with traditional Irish musicians and bands, but one that stood out was the inclusion of, for want of a better description, a loyalist marching band. If that did nothing else then it ripped into people's assumptions of what traditional Irish culture was.

For the people of Hull, don't let anyone put your city, or your culture, down.

This is a good thing, northern English cities have bourne the brunt of the cuts and they don't have a Parliament to help them out i.e Dundee... 

Seeing the list of the competition explains a lot. I've not actually been to Hull but have been to Dundee, Leicester and Swansea and no disrespect to Hull, but that's not exactly setting the bar very high beating that lot.

Apologies if you already realised but that was just the final shortlist. Many more cities put in bids.

When the shortlist was announced BBC Look North did some features on the other cities' bids. The museums, galleries and craft workshops in Dundee looked superb. It made me want to visit the place.

Apologies if you already realised but that was just the final shortlist. Many more cities put in bids.

When the shortlist was announced BBC Look North did some features on the other cities' bids. The museums, galleries and craft workshops in Dundee looked superb. It made me want to visit the place.

It's a very interesting city

Personally I can walk around any town or city and find the experience interesting and fulfilling

All I need is a camera

Working in Liverpool during its year as European Capital of Culture you could see how much extra activity was going on and people were genuinely proud of the fact that it had won the right to this title for a year.

It hasn't looked back since, either, and a new generation of promoters, musicians, artists etc are all doing interesting things in odd locations.

This may have happened anyway, but I'm sure ECoC status didn't hurt in helping create the conditions for them to thrive.

Good luck to Hull. Hope it enjoys its year as the UK's CoC .