Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

Congratulations to Hull: voted the new city of culture.

60 posts in this topic

Apologies if you already realised but that was just the final shortlist. Many more cities put in bids.

When the shortlist was announced BBC Look North did some features on the other cities' bids. The museums, galleries and craft workshops in Dundee looked superb. It made me want to visit the place.

Living in Perthshire I'd get ridiculed for saying it, but Dundee is a great place. Like any industrial city it has its downsides but there are so many interesting aspects to it. One thing the bid team did highlight was the part culture and the arts have played in the ongoing regeneration of the city, although they now fear that their record may have counted against them, ie the appointment as UKCOC may have had just marginal benefits. They have said that many of the events they planned will go ahead anyway, but without the 'spectaculars' (headline events).

My experience of Hull is limited to the Boulevard and BAe Brough, but I'm sure the city has a tale to tell at least as interesting as Dundee's. This is the chance to explain to the world that it is not just a working city but a creative one as well.

Reasons why Hull is unique. Old Mother Riley (Arthur Lucan) died in Hull, Maureen Lipman and Tom Courtney are both from Hull. Hull Fair, held in October is one of the largest travelling fairs in the country and I believe marks the end of the season, certainly for the Northern travelling fairs. Cottingham, on the outskirts of Hull has claims to be the largest village in England, the Humber Lifeboat Station, on the Holderness peninsula is I believe the only full time lifeboat station in the country. Hull is the only city in the RFL to have two clubs playing Super League, And of course there's the accent, you can always spot them, going to werk with their merbarl ferns or ordering a drink in the pub "marns a parnt"  Or at the rugby "gerrem on sard"  Then there's the bridge - at one time the longest suspension bridge in the world. There are also the white phone boxes, you know you're in Hull (Beverley) when you see a white phone box!  There's a lot to be said for Hull! And of course the last thing is it isn't really called Hull. 

cottingham largest village?years ago I  thought it was Horsforth

Horsforth is part of Leeds, and before that was an Urban District, so doesn't count.  Also it's an island.

And the main road in is named after a rugby league legend ... Clive Sullivan Way

And the main road in is named after a rugby league legend ... Clive Sullivan Way

Traffic problem reports on that road accounts for 99% of all mentions of Rugby League players' names on Radio 5. :P