Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

The Ashes... again!

102 posts in this topic

There seems to be a concerted call for all players to play a full county programme at the beginning of next season. Only successful ones to get picked.

A reasonable proposal, I think.

There seems to be so much that has gone wrong that rebuilding looks like being a major task.  The coach and the captain have lost the plot.  Cook seems to have forgotten what an attacking field looks like, Flower has just presided over a 5-0 loss to an average (but committed and coherent) Test team.  Neither should remain in position.

The batting has been undone not by always brilliant bowling but by focused and concentrated attack.  Johnson has obviously shaken them up but the way the Aussies did their homework on players' weaknesses and then just worked to them was impressive.  I'd keep Carberry around as he's done a thankless job pretty well.  Stokes is obviously a high point, and I think Bell will be again.  Root probably has earned another chance in the new year.  As for the rest: I'm not sure any of them deserve a place but more worryingly I can't see a huge line up coming up to replace them.

And it's worse for the bowling.  Anderson has been run into the ground.  Broad can do it in bursts but is at the same risk of just being worn down.  Stokes can't be relied on as a principal wicket taker.  And then after that ...  we don't appear to have any test-standard bowlers left.  Everyone who is being mooted is fine at county level and could step up but I'm not aware of anyone who has shown that they can.

And then we get on to the back room meltdown.  Poor tour scheduling, appalling player management and a seeming breakdown in team spirit combined with a defeated attitude right from the start of the day 2 of the first test.  This all needs looking at.

I'd keep Carberry around as he's done a thankless job pretty well. 

I agree about that. He was not as good as had been hoped but he still averaged more than Cooke, Bell, Prior and Root.

Take captaincy away from Cook and I see him easily topping 10-12,000 runs as a fantastically successful batsman who just needs to concentrate on batting and slip fielding.  The problem is that there's no-one obvious to take the job, Bell would be the obvious other choice but I think he's much and much like Cook and wouldn't be any better.

Root didn't deserve to be dropped, I'd rather have him as the future opener with Cook rather than Carberry.  Carberry just didn't look solid enough.  I accept he was brought in to take run scoring problems away from Cook in the opening pair but you need to stay at the crease to score runs.

Take captaincy away from Cook and I see him easily topping 10-12,000 runs as a fantastically successful batsman who just needs to concentrate on batting and slip fielding.  The problem is that there's no-one obvious to take the job, Bell would be the obvious other choice but I think he's much and much like Cook and wouldn't be any better.

I'd have thought Stuart Broad would be the natural choice to replace Cook as captain ?

I'd have thought Stuart Broad would be the natural choice to replace Cook as captain ?

Far too easy to wind him up and he seems to have the patience of a toddler having a sugar rush.

Never mind all that - here's a picture of 100+ Richie Benauds!

_72074223_ian_bell_richie_benauds_pa.jpg

Now the serious stuff (ODI / T20) has started it's jarring to think that for the first time in history a 13-0 clean sweep of the Tests ODI and T20 series is a distinct possibility. Australias' fourth estate - The dogs of Sport - are in crowing mood already.

I kinda discount this as I believe the T20 side matches up against anyone but after Sunday Morning my confidence level is about the same as Captain Cook's batting average....

It's beginning to look like we might actually win a match here! :O 

It's beginning to look like we might actually win a match here! :O

You couldn't wait?

Looks like normal service is threatening to resume. Ah well...

The one good thing about the current England side in Australia is that you don't have to worry about spoilers in the news when you wake up in the morning.

Anyone who worries about excessive power grabbing in Super League should take a good look at the latest ICC revamp, which basically cedes control to India, England and Australia and the rest have to live off the crumbs from their high table.

Anyone who worries about excessive power grabbing in Super League should take a good look at the latest ICC revamp, which basically cedes control to India, England and Australia and the rest have to live off the crumbs from their high table.

I haven't heard about this.  In theory I'm happy with anything that clips the Indian board's control but I doubt it's as simple as that.

But in happier Ashes news - the women battered the aussies at the MCG and so now lead 8-0.  With 10 more points available they only need 2 to retain the Ashes.

I've just watched a clip of Oz claiming a catch that clearly hit the ground first. After all the fuss in their press about Broad!  The Aussies really do take the biscuit where hypocrisy is concerned.

I've just watched a clip of Oz claiming a catch that clearly hit the ground first. After all the fuss in their press about Broad!  The Aussies really do take the biscuit where hypocrisy is concerned.

You play to win.

You play to win.

Which is what Broad did. That catch, and the one where Warner got off the hook, were the umpires responsibility/fault. As was Broad being given not out last year.

End of story, move on. I am getting fed up of players pointing batsmen back to the dressing room. Johnson, Clarke and Warner have all done it and seem to have escaped any kind of censure. Pretty soon there will be a fight on the field.

Pretty soon there will be a fight on the field.

My money's on Ben Stokes.

My money's on Ben Stokes.

Get his dad on the field. Then we'd see those Aussies suddenly become awfully polite. ;) 

Er... I don't want to shock anybody, but England appear to have won a match!  :O

Er... I don't want to shock anybody, but England appear to have won a match!  :O

Did we?

I switched off when it was in the balance and just assumed the worst.