Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brooza

London Broncos to appoint administrators

396 posts in this topic

IMO

The RFL should maintain the Broncos academy and look to buy a share in a modest RU stadium in West London. Broncos should be reformed as community club joining KPC1 in 2015. They should then pay commercial rent to the RFL. The RFL should use the profits from the RLWC to pay development officers.

Super League needs a London team, but the Broncos are not it. They need to be shut down and started again, perhaps with a season or two off. The Broncos seemingly have no hope of ever achieving anything with their current administrators.

Super League needs a London team, but the Broncos are not it. They need to be shut down and started again, perhaps with a season or two off. The Broncos seemingly have no hope of ever achieving anything with their current administrators.

Shut it down and how do you start up again? Especially with the regression to P&R. There is no way on earth a club based down here can put together the finances, stadia and, most importantly of all, the playing roster needed to win promotion via the Championship. Once this club is gone that's it for top flight RL in London. I am certain that, unless the top clubs break away and form their own franchised league and see London as part of that, we won't have the opportunity in this city for another 20 years.

IMO

The RFL should maintain the Broncos academy and look to buy a share in a modest RU stadium in West London. Broncos should be reformed as community club joining KPC1 in 2015. They should then pay commercial rent to the RFL. The RFL should use the profits from the RLWC to pay development officers.

Where would the players come from? The players in London/South East of that standard are already signed up to Skolars and Hemel, where would they find another 20 from? The club cannot entice northerners down here in SL so what chance in KPC1? Or perhaps they'd simply field last years Academy team? Except many of those lads have already signed for Skolars, Hemel, even Oldham. And, unless the RFL have something planned, there doesn't look like there will be an Academy in 2014 so that's that source gone too.

If Broncos close now then they're gone forever. The only hope for the game down here then will be Skolars and Hemel, but there is no way either of them will ever have the money, facilities or players to win promotion the old fashioned way.

London have potentially been "far more valueable" for the last 30 years. The have never delivered on it. At some point, you have to ask whether good money is simply being thrown after bad.

Giving them more cash will bankrupt other sides for little or no benefit. They are badly run and have alienated their own fans. Nothing will change that. The young lads are not "blossoming down there". They've been let go and the academy has been closed down. The development agents have gone as well.

They have no backroom staff except for an idiot who has destroyed club, no home, no players, no assetts and few fans but let's throw away millions because they have "potential" that they will never achieve!

Or alternatively the time has come to take stock and come up with a plan that might actually work in the long run.

I do take your point of view that it could be thowing money away, but the other side of that coin is that , how much money has been thrown away on clubs up here who have had far longer than London to become successful,

London's  academy may have gone but i thought the amateur game down there was growing,

It's all opinions at the end of the day, Put a lot of money in to 1 club down there and possibly see it wasted, Put the money in up here in dribs and drabs ( in the latest plan to save the game ) and see it wasted that way instead,

My own opinion is that, SL needs all the money it generates to keep the standard up ,and avoid losing it's better players, ( whoever the clubs are  ) there is not enough to fund the lower leagues, New money has to come in and i would have thought that is where the RFL should be putting in their efforts, rather than dreaming up ever more complicated plans, that basicly mean weakening SL to fund weaker clubs.

I see no point whatever in taking money away from Wigan for example, They probably produce more SL players than any other club, and they get spread around the league, thereby lifting the standards all over, why would anyone want to jepodise that to give money to clubs who would be no better off in a couple of years, ( if past experiance is anything to go by ).

I would love to see Fev in SL, and they may well be there very soon, If they are, they had better get some big money from somwhere or they will find life a lot harder in SL than it appears from where they are now,

I'm well aware of some people's attitude to some of the rich chairmen ( some more than others ) but these men along with Sky are the ones trying to take the game forward, we want more like them.

Where would the players come from? The players in London/South East of that standard are already signed up to Skolars and Hemel, where would they find another 20 from? The club cannot entice northerners down here in SL so what chance in KPC1? Or perhaps they'd simply field last years Academy team? Except many of those lads have already signed for Skolars, Hemel, even Oldham. And, unless the RFL have something planned, there doesn't look like there will be an Academy in 2014 so that's that source gone too.

If Broncos close now then they're gone forever. The only hope for the game down here then will be Skolars and Hemel, but there is no way either of them will ever have the money, facilities or players to win promotion the old fashioned way.

Quite.

The record is clear to me that an Elite club attracts fans (1996 to date SL crowds near doubled, clubs crowds outside SL more than halved) And Elite club attracts players. Never mind them signing the best, the record is junior clubs struggle in championship areas and easily fold, in Superleague areas junior clubs do well and new clubs start up. Leeds and Wigan have the most success first and foremost because of their junior set ups that respond to that success and that's how it is. It's no good people basing arguments on wanting their little CC club to become big boys with Broncos out of the way.

Whether it's Hemel or Skolars both will struggle if Broncos shut down and the academy goes forever.It's always the same on here. Somehow London Broncos aren't a "proper" RL club, but they are. And if Wigan and Leeds packed in RL would be very badly affected in the north, equally if the London Broncos pack in the game will go backwards in the south.

Fact?? Well it's far more likely to happen on logic and reasoning, and the facts and figures are there, and no well ground club axe will change them

Giant Strides:- "How much money has been thrown away on clubs up here who have had far longer than London to become successful"

Exactly again Giant Strides.

The money wasted on Paris, Crusaders, Gatehead and London??

£50,000,000?

The equivalent  money wasted on Rochdale, York, Oldham, Halifax, Bramley, Hunslet, Broughton, Doncaster, Blackpool, Huyton, workington, Salford, Whitehaven....etc etc then Wakefield and Bradford and Widnes who went into administration....etc etc.

£100's of millions. Why is it only a waste if wasted outside the north??? Aren't rich men allowed to waste money on our game? Where would southern RL be now if nobody had been allowed to ""waste"" so much promoting the game there??

Should Koukash be stopped from "wasting" RL millions on promoting RL in a soccer city?? How much have sheffield wasted??

Gloucester and Oxford managed. Broncos can. Broncos were, at least, based in a completely different part of London to Skolars.

Gloucester and Oxford managed. Broncos can. Broncos were, at least, based in a completely different part of London to Skolars.

All of the adult players of that standard are already playing for Skolars and Hemel. With no academy there is no player pathway for anyone else to come through.

It's delusional to think that anything will come of Broncos playing in KPC1.

All of the adult players of that standard are already playing for Skolars and Hemel. With no academy there is no player pathway for anyone else to come through.

It's delusional to think that anything will come of Broncos playing in KPC1.

We're talking about a 2015 entry not 2014, it is simply too late to organise anything for 2014.

I said before that the academy needs to taken over by the RFL and development officers need to be funded again if anything can be salvaged from this.

Doing that will cost cash but the game could probably afford it.

The game can't afford to subsidise a SL side.

We're talking about a 2015 entry not 2014, it is simply too late to organise anything for 2014.

I said before that the academy needs to taken over by the RFL and development officers need to be funded again if anything can be salvaged from this.

If Broncos don't survive today then I agree and why even form a new club? Concentrate on helping the established sides like Skolars and Hemel. Hopefully now the Broncos fans who want to continue supporting RL in the London area will follow one of these sides and make them stronger. Both clubs have fantastic admin and backroom staff and should be encouraged to grow.

Gloucester and Oxford "managed." I'm not knocking GAG when I say that's debatable - we need them to be good as they're relatively close to us and we all faced similar challeges getting off the ground. They had a squad, certainly, but it's a squad that struggled for much of the season - it did seem to come together in the end  and good luck to them (as somone else said it's much easier to be a fan of the game down here than any one club because we need "local" rivals to survive so we've got someone to play!).

Oxford "managed" because Brookes and Oxford Uni both have established league sides that we could raid graduates of, and Oxford Cavaliers have been around for about 20 years. But that would have been papering over the cracks had it not been for Tony Benson leaving Oldham and bringing a lot of players with him. Long term bussing players down from the NW every week is totally unsustainable  but it is helping us at the moment on the basis that a decent team you can graft more locals into in the longer term is likely to attract more fans (through doing alright on the pitch), than starting out with a team of locals who get whipped every week. No one wants the local paper to always be reporting losses if you're trying to get a new club in a non traditional area off the ground.....

If Broncos don't survive today then I agree and why even form a new club? Concentrate on helping the established sides like Skolars and Hemel. Hopefully now the Broncos fans who want to continue supporting RL in the London area will follow one of these sides and make them stronger.

How has Rugby League gone in south wales since the Celtic Crusaders packed up there? Serious question because Celtic Crusaders had 3,600 average bums on seats. How are South Wales faring since they took the mantle of top RL club?

Also, I think I'm right in saying that GAG got their first win against us, so I'm not being one eyed against them - but they did struggle.

I just don't get one part of the arguments being put here and elsewhere.  To turn the Skolars or Hemel into a SL ready club, or even one that's likely to challenge CC clubs, will completely change those clubs.  Has anyone asked those clubs if they want to change?  I'm sure that more than a few people on this forum involved with the game at lower levels will have anecdotes about clubs mysteriously losing games that cost them promotion because they neither want promotion nor want to change their club by the amount they'd need to succeed at the higher level.  Even if you did manage to make one a SL club, that's creating a gap in the middle/lower tiers.

I think a few people really need to understand that rugby league is far, far more than just the three top leagues of the game.  That's just the top of the pyramid and there's far more going on below that at semi-pro, amateur and community levels.  To succeed as a sport, you need a solid pyramid from top to bottom:  without the top, you don't attract completely new youth players to the game; without the middle to bottom, you have very few places for those new players to go and you have nowhere to go for the 95%+ of players who have nothing to do with the top three leagues.

To lose the Broncos cuts off the top of the sport.  A talented young lad from London who has probably only rarely been outside the M25 will see no end-goal for staying in the game, the next furthest south SL club in England is Widnes and that'd be as well being the moon if you're asking someone from the south of England to move; if given the option of rugby league or union, it's no longer an even contest.  I could go on about the mid- and lower-level leagues, the players who typically play there and the people who go to watch but I'm sure you get the point.

So come 2015 and the limited number of players at that standard will be split between 3 clubs instead of 2? There just aren't the players around for that sort of thing.

At the moment it doesn't look like the RFL are interested in the academy.

If the Broncos go today then that's it for that club. We'd be better off encouraging fans to attend Skolars and Hemel. But, and I'm absolutely convinced of this, neither of those clubs will ever make SL via P&R. It just is not possible.

I just have the feeling that the club will go into admin and then be bought debt free.

They could get by with a few new signings and loan deals which may see them compete.

If the "rebel" chairmen get their way SL won't go down to 12 clubs but remain at 14 with 1 up and 1 down promotion and relegation. If they run with 14 from 2015 then London may well not get relegated in spite of a 6 point reduction.

All is not lost for London provided that the progressive chairmen get their way.

IMO the problem was they actually based the club in London. The cost of living in London is much higher than in small northern towns, so 1 pound spend there doesn't go as far as it does in the north.

They should have based the team somewhere outside of London, perhaps even 40-50 miles out, so they could rent training facilities cheaper and have their money go further in terms of the cost of living. Then they would drive to London and play their home games there in some stadium.

So come 2015 and the limited number of players at that standard will be split between 3 clubs instead of 2? There just aren't the players around for that sort of thing.

At the moment it doesn't look like the RFL are interested in the academy.

If the Broncos go today then that's it for that club. We'd be better off encouraging fans to attend Skolars and Hemel. But, and I'm absolutely convinced of this, neither of those clubs will ever make SL via P&R. It just is not possible.

There certainly are enough players. They are just young. Broncos academy was very strong. A CC1 side based around the old academy plus a few senior players is a possibility. Semi-pro RL sides are always able to sign a few RU players as well.

The RFL were talking about taking over the academy anyway. They already run Midlands and North East academies.

I just don't get one part of the arguments being put here and elsewhere.  To turn the Skolars or Hemel into a SL ready club, or even one that's likely to challenge CC clubs, will completely change those clubs.  Has anyone asked those clubs if they want to change?  I'm sure that more than a few people on this forum involved with the game at lower levels will have anecdotes about clubs mysteriously losing games that cost them promotion because they neither want promotion nor want to change their club by the amount they'd need to succeed at the higher level.  Even if you did manage to make one a SL club, that's creating a gap in the middle/lower tiers.

I think a few people really need to understand that rugby league is far, far more than just the three top leagues of the game.  That's just the top of the pyramid and there's far more going on below that at semi-pro, amateur and community levels.  To succeed as a sport, you need a solid pyramid from top to bottom:  without the top, you don't attract completely new youth players to the game; without the middle to bottom, you have very few places for those new players to go and you have nowhere to go for the 95%+ of players who have nothing to do with the top three leagues.

To lose the Broncos cuts off the top of the sport.  A talented young lad from London who has probably only rarely been outside the M25 will see no end-goal for staying in the game, the next furthest south SL club in England is Widnes and that'd be as well being the moon if you're asking someone from the south of England to move; if given the option of rugby league or union, it's no longer an even contest.  I could go on about the mid- and lower-level leagues, the players who typically play there and the people who go to watch but I'm sure you get the point.

I think we are all aware of that but we don't have a choice of "sustainable SL club" or "KPC1 side". The likelihood is that the SL club will disappear into oblivion and the choice we face will be between a KPC1 side or nothing. Saying "but surely a SL side would be better" misses the point.

Broncos still have a community of sorts. Fans are something that a new expansion club finds it difficult to find. I can't see any virtue in throwing the bath water out with the baby.

£50,000,000?

The equivalent  money wasted on Rochdale, York, Oldham, Halifax, Bramley, Hunslet, Broughton, Doncaster, Blackpool, Huyton, workington, Salford, Whitehaven....etc etc then Wakefield and Bradford and Widnes who went into administration....etc etc.

£100's of millions. Why is it only a waste if wasted outside the north??? Aren't rich men allowed to waste money on our game? Where would southern RL be now if nobody had been allowed to ""waste"" so much promoting the game there??

Should Koukash be stopped from "wasting" RL millions on promoting RL in a soccer city?? How much have sheffield wasted??

Rich men wasting money is fine. It's their money to waste.

The RFl wasting money is a problem.

£50,000,000?

parky old lad, the rfl gave sweet fa to widnes when we went into administration, they never protected our players from being poached by other clubs or took over the lease on our ground, the club would have gone forever but for steve o'connor. we are on the wrong side of the pennines to interest the rfl....just like blackpool were.

parky old lad, the rfl gave sweet fa to widnes when we went into administration, the club would have gone forever but for steve o'connor. we are on the wrong side of the pennines to interest the rfl....just like blackpool were.

Is your Lancastrian victim complex playing up again? :tongue:

so the game can't subsidise a super league side.......is that why nige and co wanted to take over the running at bradford..once again double standards from the rotund one in red hall.