Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brooza

London Broncos to appoint administrators

396 posts in this topic

Totally uninformed speculation not based on insider knowledge

4) LONDON MAY BE BAILED OUT BY A RIVAL CLUB: It seems an established Super League club is preparing to lend the Broncos money and players. NRL officials met Gus Mackay and Tony Rea last week to see if there was anything he could do to help.

http://www.rlfans.com/indexmain.php?fid=134&id=1295

Bearing in mind the revelation from Steve Mascord, about the involvement of a rival Super League club in the rescue of London Broncos, Let me name the potential suitor as Wigan and the backer as Ian Lenagan and he may constitute the mystery second group first named by Ian Leybourne  in the Sporting Life .

It is thought Kleanthous is not the only other interested party but is the Broncos' preferred option since it would provide the club with a new home at The Hive.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/article/480/9034781/london-broncos-talks-continue

First the finance, not so hard for IFL to own more than one club, if de jure ownership of the club is transferred to his son. If you are wondering if Ian has the money He is the 951st Richest Individual in the UK with a personal value of £ 37 million

http://www.misterseed.com/RICHlist2002/top%201000%20richlist.htm

As for the players that Steve Mascord hints at the biggest source of spare up and coming talent is Wigan’s reserve grade which would also mean an early return to London for Dan Sarginson and Tony Clubb. This may not be the only club in the North West that sees the value of giving reserve graders a season of first grade action. There would also be funds to get five NRL veterans in and to restore the London Academy that was disbanded two weeks ago which could work out in Wigan’s long term interest given London remains an untapped potentail source of RL talent.

Think about it – the only way you could get a team to achieve 12th spot in the comp at less than 70 days notice would be to have a side made up predominantly of players who have played together and grown through the same system bolstered by what remains of “London” Players and some NRL veterans. As for coaching this could be a chance for Iestyn Harris or Kris Radlinkski to take the reins in much the same way as Stanley Gene performs a similar dual role coaching a championship club while remaining on the Hull KR staff.

And of course you could take it as read that there will ge a new CEO which should please some along with an attempt to reconnect with the London RL community. It is through contacts with the London group after all that enabled London Skolars to arrange a presigious friendl;y against a Wigan XIII at the HAC this coming January.

As for the ground, Barry Hearne has little interest in RL, but does have an interest in proving that Leyton Orient’s as a ground share with West Ham is not a cuckoo in the nest. So demonstrating that a ground share can work is much is Orient’s interest and its self interest not altruism that powers any sporting deal. Notably the football club contacted about a groundshare was Wigan Athletifc who share the DW stadium with...

Interestingly enough Wigan has informal links with a North London Rugby Union club who’s CEO is so I am told friendly with Barry Hearn. In fact, there remains the possibility of any London Broncos playing at the Union club’s ground in the summer while Orient re-seed the pitch perhaps for the terms of the Union club's lease are more elastic than some think. Again it works in the interests of the Union club to have access to "rugby" juniors and said club already has low level links with London Skolars.

What’s the holdup then? – Politics, there are two factors, having fought a bitter ownership battle with IFL following Ian's accession to Wigan Club Chairman. David Hughes would be more inclined to favour a deal with Anthony Kleanthous. For this to fall through and IFL to gain de facto control would be a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since it might mean writing off the £ 10 million in directors loans to a rival who had to forgo his £ 2 million in directors loans when having to divest from the club because of his Wigan ownership.

Having de facto control of two clubs also strengthens IFL’s powerbase and weakens the powerbase of Gary Hetherington and Nigel Wood. With no decision yet reached in the conflict between the rebel clubs and the RFL getting RFL approval for the ownership is difficult, in which respect, the view of the NRL is key as Hetherington has banked on an expanded World Club Challenge due to take place between the top three clubs in early 2015. The NRL view as expressed in the Sydney Morning Herald is that abandoning London is a strategic error

With Super League struggling financially, rival club officials that this column spoke to during the World Cup are ready to write off the Broncos as a failed, 18-year experiment....

However, many in Australia would question the damage to the game's credibility without a team based in London and it is understood Smith and NRL game development manager Andrew Hill met with Broncos chief executive Gus Mackay 10 days ago.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/world-cup-windfall-has-all-eyes-on-wembley-20131202-2yl5q.html#ixzz2mdS4ELpz

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/world-cup-windfall-has-all-eyes-on-wembley-20131202-2yl5q.html

So the NRL which does not need an expanded WCC has a card to play over GH who does need it for his personal credibility.

Of course this could all be more Tru Blood than the True word but then who knows?

Chariots has just tweeted that Sean Long has just got a job with the Broncos

He's going to be busy he's just opened a bar in Wigan.

First the finance, not so hard for IFL to own more than one club, if de jure ownership of the club is transferred to his son. If you are wondering if Ian has the money He is the 951st Richest Individual in the UK with a personal value of £ 37 million

£37m is not a lot if you're essentially burning £3m every year...........

I think it is in fact its 12 years investment

Unless there's a resl last minute twist the Bronco's are playing at Barnet next year. Who owns then is another matter but I know the football club will be maximising their ability to apply for extra sporting grants etc etc

Les, the cost base is to be different. The requirements of "licensing" are dead, the playing staff and coaching team may all be off the back of Wigan's current resources, and the RFL may underpin the academy. It's not a matter of this costing the owner £3M a year.

SL will be at 12 clubs after next year. There's room enough for a Featherstone on full salary cap to have a place in the top division, and given the struggles at Wakefield and Cas I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Thanks to Red Rooster for an extremely interesting albeit informed speculative, read.

Les, the cost base is to be different. The requirements of "licensing" are dead, the playing staff and coaching team may all be off the back of Wigan's current resources, and the RFL may underpin the academy. It's not a matter of this costing the owner £3M a year.

SL will be at 12 clubs after next year. There's room enough for a Featherstone on full salary cap to have a place in the top division, and given the struggles at Wakefield and Cas I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Thanks to Red Rooster for an extremely interesting albeit informed speculative, read.

That'll be fine then?

If reports of London's accounts elsewhere are true, they raised the vast sum of £300k through admission and merchandise so not much investment needed to make them competitive and do you really think they will be with Wigan's 2nd string? What happens when Wigan have an injury crisis? etc etc

Have a look at my other posts, I don't want Featherstone in SL.

I think it is in fact its 12 years investment

LOL....... I doubt he'd be investing for anywhere near 12 years. Do you honestly think a supposedly savvy business man is going to throw away 8%+ of his wealth for very long?

I don't want Featherstone in SL.

me neither

well said LST

There maybe the one or two senior players around who may sign for the Broncos.

Lauaki at Wigan and Hodgson from Wire have not announced transfer or retirement so maybe they'll pop up at London.

If Wigan send their 2nd string on loan they can't be called back for 28 days then recalled at any time.

If, for instance, they loan them out 3rd February to London they will not be available for the Huddersfield game on the 7th but could be recalled for the next SL match v Wakefield March 2nd.

So due to the WCC they would only be unavailable for one SL game.

Unless there's a resl last minute twist the Bronco's are playing at Barnet next year. Who owns then is another matter but I know the football club will be maximising their ability to apply for extra sporting grants etc etc

I don't think so. Barnet's owner didn't sound very enthusiastic about the whole thing, he pointed out that there were many other clubs that could share the facilities. If Broncos are rescued by IL then I would be surprised to see them at Barnet.

I don't think so. Barnet's owner didn't sound very enthusiastic about the whole thing, he pointed out that there were many other clubs that could share the facilities. If Broncos are rescued by IL then I would be surprised to see them at Barnet.

They are bound to say that though arnt they, keeping the upper hand in negotiations. .... the chairman will want an income stream during the summer, keep the stadium active all year, maybe entice new support from the RL family?

That'll be fine then? If reports of London's accounts elsewhere are true, they raised the vast sum of £300k through admission and merchandise so not much investment needed to make them competitive and do you really think they will be with Wigan's 2nd string? What happens when Wigan have an injury crisis? etc etc Have a look at my other posts, I don't want Featherstone in SL.

I'm not surprised you don't want Rovers in Superleague Les. The reduction of the cost base for Broncos as you say isn't going to make them competitive without a large year on year monetary subsidy.

You can say the same for Featherstone Rovers as well. Widnes and Huddersfield have fine stadiums but relatively low crowds and Huddersfield's success seems to be based on a large year on year "giant"  monetary subsidy too.

Mr. Nahaboo is promising it, but whilst people can scoff at the Broncos at how much it needs to keep them afloat as an SL club, same applies up here......

Daily Mirror I think, cant post the link, Longy tried out as a coach and has a job if London survive

Might even be THE coach, not sure, reads a bit odd

Daily Mirror I think, cant post the link, Longy tried out as a coach and has a job if London survive

Might even be THE coach, not sure, reads a bit odd

"Sean Long has held initial talks with London Broncos about a coaching role – if the club survives.

Former Great Britain star Long has been out of work since the World Cup finished, having been assistant coach to the Samoa squad during the tournament.

And Long met with the handful of Broncos that remain at the club in London last week, after 16 players left during the close season."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sean-long-london-broncos-talks-2903883