Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brooza

London Broncos to appoint administrators

396 posts in this topic

what great timing! 3 days before the wc semis in London and the broncos announce this! cant abramovich or someone just buy them as a sideline? wheres mr branson when when you want him?

Hardly a surprise sadly. Poor Management and treating the fans poorly is hardly the best way to run any club especially one in a development are and having a small fan base. I dont think the RFL or SL helped them enough. Heartland CLubs should not be relying on TV money and I would have liked London to have received a bigger share of the money and the RFL worked more with them than they did. Hopefully something can be sorted. I would hope the RFL would step in and help like they did Bradford. London is far more important and vital.

Its another stain on the Licences will make the game better. Every year a SL club has run in to trouble for the past 5 years. The SL Clubs and the RFL have made a real mess of things between them and right now the Pro game is at its worst state that I can remember. I would like to hear what the RFL plan to do about London and if they would look to run it for a while. But I guess the RFL have enough problems regarding the rebels and the WC

And the same thing has happened for long as I can remember

The pro game isn't in the worse state ever, far from it!

It's a lot more widely reported. And people on forums like this make much more of a song and dance about it for sure

But worst ever? Not even close.

I watched there scholarship sides last year and there were some outstanding young players,it would be a great loss to our game if these players are lost to union

Breaking news on SkySports. They cover the negative Rugby League stuff like this but barely give the World Cup a mention.

Skysports has ten seperarte articles related to the upcoming England semi final clash. If that is barely a mention; what would you consider acceptable coverage ?

Given all the noises from the RFL in official press releases how Greater London and London Broncos are central to RFL strategy which has been publicised on SkySports it only follows that a story like this should be covered. There has not been a bigger story in European RL for for many months and that includes the world cup.

Woods and Rimmer probably care more than the population of London and simple economics say the RFL can't keep ploughing money into a dreamy black hole when bankrolling a dozen development officers down there would probably pay bigger dividends for the game.

And the same thing has happened for long as I can remember

The pro game isn't in the worse state ever, far from it!

It's a lot more widely reported. And people on forums like this make much more of a song and dance about it for sure

But worst ever? Not even close.

When have we ever had Clubs rebelling against the RFL? We have many SL Clubs that are either in a mess or struggling to be a fulltime club. We have always had clubs in trouble, but not to such an extent as now. Wakefield, London, Castleford and Bradford are all struggling and hoping for better days soon. Outside of SL the likes of Swinton, Hunslet´, South Wales are struggling to survive. We have massive problems in the Conferences and the way its being run. Just look at the recent play offs and what happened. The fighting over players at U18s between Pro clubs and amateurs seeing games cancelled etc. We have seen the loss of many important development officers. Massive drop in funding for grassroots RL. No sponsors for the Pro game. Now whilst the WC has been a massive success ( and show the importance of Internationals), domestically in the UK there are major problems which threatening the sport and could damage it if not sorted properly. You might think things are not that bad. But myself and others feel the game is at a low point and not just at SL level, but across the game for various reasons

Woods and Rimmer probably care more than the population of London and simple economics say the RFL can't keep ploughing money into a dreamy black hole when bankrolling a dozen development officers down there would probably pay bigger dividends for the game.

How much money have the RFL been "ploughing into this dreamy black hole"?

So my understanding is when a club appoint administrators, they come in and sell assets and make cuts to bring the business into the black. If they can't, they liquidate it.

But what can administrators do to avoid liquidating the Broncos? Thy have no home, no assets, hardl my staff or players. I don't think they'd re-coup the debt selling tacke bgs and rugby balls.

I think London are destined or liquidation.

Great time for Super league to get actively involved, like they seemed to be going to do at Bradford.

Get involved and do what exactly ? Bradford had a stadium, a playing squad, a fan base, an established community programme and a business infrastructure. London have none of those things, and the RFL/SL do not have the funds to provide them. Where do you suggest the money comes from to "get actively involved" ? Idealism is great but reality tends to win.

I am very concerned about the situation.

The timing is interesting though.

By pure chance I met the club chaplain today and he said no one he has spoken to knows what is going on.

I guess now we'll find out if Wood and Co do actually have a plan for the game or they're merely reacting to short term events. I suspect it's the latter, otherwise they'd have been all over the Broncos for the last two years and we wouldn't be in this position.

No doubt you read the recent strategy document which said, amongst many other things, that it isn't the RFL's role to run or oversee individual clubs and that the management of said clubs must be much more self-reliant.

The RFL can create the environment for success, as they are hoping to do, but clubs must stand or fail according to their own actions.

I truly hope that the RFL avoid getting drawn into this.

I'd love to think that letting the Broncos disappear could be an opportunity for the RFL to launch a proper Superleague Club in London in 12-24 months - with a top coach, a talented playing squad and a real marketing strategy but with none of the baggage the Broncos have.

It's such a good idea it's bound to happen...

For them to launch one, there would need to be someone interested in backing one plus somewhere for them to play.

I think SL is dead for a long while to come.

Broncos might be salvagable as KPC1 side for 2015 and that's about as positive as one can be.

I think the lack of reaction on this topic sums up the big problem for London is indifference. There should be a lot more than two pages of discussion on this topic. When Bradford and Salford were in trouble their fans (plus fans supporting other clubs) were pleading for their clubs to survive, yet no one so far has commented on this topic "Do whatever it takes to ensure that the Broncos live". Just think of whenever you see football clubs in trouble, you see tearful fans standing outside the stadium gates decked in their replica shirts loudly declaring their passion for the club and insisting they will not let it die. Does ANYONE care about the Broncos fate, we will see in the next fortnight if someone does care.

I think people have cared in the past but they don't care anymore.  When Ian Ramsdale had his Broncos pubcast, it's clear that in the last five years, the way the club has been managed has broken the spirit of the hardcore fans, same of whom have had 30 years of being kicked in the balls by the club.  There comes a point where you have to just write them off.

The ARL/NRL have shown how expansion can be achieved in Melbourne. A team owned by (at the time) the competitions co-owners and give additional funds from the central pool for 17 seasons so as to have a chance to grow, in an area totally alien to RL. In addition to Melbourne, the co-owners of the competition also own Brisbane as well as bailing out the NQ Cowboys.......all quite legitimately and accepted by the other clubs.

In SL, London were parachuted into the competition and left to fend for themselves, with only a few years exemption on overseas talent, before being expected to field a team of locals, 18 years of suspicion, but no proof of additional funding and other favours as well as the often mentioned but never proven protection from relegation, together with our 2005/6 saviour being told by the RFL that he couldn't implement his plans for London if he wanted to own Wigan and London finds itself in the shitter.....AGAIN.

I don't wholly lay the blame for this at the feet of the RFL/SKY, but I do feel that after they have benefited from 18 years FREE expansion work in the Capital, that is starting to pay dividends, the least they could do is step up to the plate like they did with Bradford......

....as it is, Wood will let us die, he'll pray Wakefield don't make it through 2014 and he'll get his 1 up/1 down from 2015 onwards. I just hope he has considered that the Next TV deal may well not be as large as the current one.....an M62 Hobby isn't a national sport and SKY's advertisers want "National" coverage. 

I'm sure that there would be a benefit in having a successful London side would be a great help with finding sponsors, TV deals etc but the reality is that Broncos aren't that team. Similar things were said about Crusaders and yet a couple of weeks after their demise Sky came back with an improved deal.

Australian sport works in a very different way to British sport. The NRL has never had P and R and this makes their game more like the NFL model.

No doubt you read the recent strategy document which said, amongst many other things, that it isn't the RFL's role to run or oversee individual clubs and that the management of said clubs must be much more self-reliant.

The RFL can create the environment for success, as they are hoping to do, but clubs must stand or fail according to their own actions.

I truly hope that the RFL avoid getting drawn into this.

Did they take that approach with Bradford? 

With regard to the Ian Lenegan shares issue I thought he wanted to transfer his Broncos shares to his son when he bought Wigan, but was told there would be a conflict of interest with one family controlling two separate clubs. May be my memory of this is wrong given that three members of the same family were representing three separate clubs at the recent SL meeting apparently without any such conflict arising.

A couple of things, firstly the Melbourne Storm were and still are propped up by News LTD. 

Without them they would have been dead long ago. The Melbourne Storm took much the same approach as London Broncos, tried to survive without juniors and grass-roots. 

To top that all off, and i still think Melbourne Strom will suffer as well until they get a second team, a local derby. 

Local Derbies really grow your code once you get your grass-roots clubs buying into this match-up. 

Again, London has not grown enough at grass-roots. 

So, what do you do, well the answer is there, staring you right in the face. Go to your strengths, France needs a second team. Build that, give them a derby, let them build their game as it will be easy. 

Keep up the championships teams second division push into London, growth the code more in and around London. 

Relegation, not sure how it works or if it works well or can you get it working better so clubs dont die after being relegated. 

One day London will rise, but not today. It is long way ready, even the Storm still struggle, and their juniors are not great. They have been one of the games most successful teams in Australia, let us not forget that, maybe they be dead by now if they had not had tens of millions support. 

They are just becoming loved now, finally, and only just loved, not cherished yet. 

I like the idea of keep growing rugby league in London at grass-roots, it's easier, and just take big games to the capital. The media department is up north now i read, surely making the code stronger in areas where you know it will grow must be the right option. 

I love the North games, the passion is unequalled really, is it not? 

The NRL is only now waking up to the fact we need to grow our passionate levels. 

North England rugby league has that in spades. Send us some will ya. 

Local Derbies really grow your code once you get your grass-roots clubs buying into this match-up. 

Keep up the championships teams second division push into London, growth the code more in and around London. 

The Storm still struggle, and their juniors are not great. Maybe they be dead by now if they had not had tens of millions support. 

Similarly Salford, HKR, Fev, and Huddersfield would probably be dead if they hadn't had £Millions of support.

If it's a matter of growing the London Championship teams with derbies you'd best check out the Whitehaven/Workington derbies in recent years. We've had over 60 years of those.What growth do we have in that historic hotbed of RL?

If you want to see indifference then you should have been around when Hunslet were about to fold, and when York and Rochdale folded. Not a peep from the RL "community".

The game in London won't be doing any "growing" without a top flight side, it only manages to "survive" even in the so called heartlands of the north where there is no investment.

Maybe an opportunity for Toulouse....?

Well given the World Cup in RL and the Heineken in RU shows the public want international RL, and given Toulouse can financially back a side, it's not a maybe for me.