Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brooza

London Broncos to appoint administrators

396 posts in this topic

How about a London ANZAC All Stars team funded by the NRL. Think the CEO is over at the mo' and they've money to burn with their $1bn contract.

There must be someone around seeing the game today that has the pockets to do something.

pockets..people..purpose....progress.

not much wrong with Broncos that new ownership, a place to play, a decent team, a proper coach, a marketing program and a good management team won't fix.

How about a London ANZAC All Stars team funded by the NRL. Think the CEO is over at the mo' and they've money to burn with their $1bn contract.

There must be someone around seeing the game today that has the pockets to do something.

Why would they do that when neither Perth nor Adelaide has a side?

Why would they do that when neither Perth nor Adelaide has a side?

Grow the game. Give somewhere for the backpackers based in London to keep in touch with the game, fact that they are restricted in any immediate expansion in Aus/NZ because of commitments to the current NRL clubs?

I wouldn't as a rule but it's going to be a minimum of 20 years.

Why do you say 20 years rather than say, 10 years or say. 30 years?

Grow the game. Give somewhere for the backpackers based in London to keep in touch with the game, fact that they are restricted in any immediate expansion in Aus/NZ because of commitments to the current NRL clubs?

This old idea again. The idea that there are loads of Aussies in London desperate to see any rugby league they can and that therefore they'll watch anything on offer simply does not hold up. People need a connection to their team. Simply parachuting a team down where it's not wanted hasn't worked

Dave Hughes' way of screwing Nigel Wood, after years of being left to carry the club single handedly and with no help from the RFL.

You got it in one. I did predict that this would happen on the eve of the final itself. Nigel Wood and the RFL are going to pay a very heavy price for not giving the Broncos as much help as they have a certain other club.

Try getting a name sponsor now Nigel who wants to pay your asking price. The RFL have just devalued Super League by millions.

Why do you say 20 years rather than say, 10 years or say. 30 years?

It's my opinion based on how long similar clubs have taken to sort their affairs out. Of all the expansion teams that have gone bust in SL then reformed, only Sheffield look anywhere near ready to return and look how long that has taken.

1) There is no particular reason to think that an ANZAC team is going to appeal more than the current set-up and thus "spread the game"

2) All players would need permission from the UKBA to play in the UK

3) London is one of the most expensive cities in the world. The current set-up loses millions a year.

4) How many Aussie backpackers are there anyway? Are the NRL really going to lose millions per year for the benefit of a few thousand?

5) I really don't see how the NRL are restricted in expanion in Oz / NZ.

The vast majority won't be Londoners.

Were you there? You were missed by the tens of thousands of locals.

I would say that having a top teir club in London getting hammered every week, playing to crowds of a couple of thousand and playing in a council athelitic field, would do far more to damage the credibility of RL in London, than removing the team would.

Which is the view the RFL top dogs have about the current Broncos. They do more harm than good to the profile of the sport, the club is a basket case and it would cost far too much money to do anything with it. Better to let it go, maybe have a break and come back with a better package further down the line.

I don't think anyone denies the sport needs a SL team in the London area, but it has to be done right. 

Having viewed their accounts all I can say is "ouch".

A turnover of just £1.6m (considering they get £1.3m of that from the TV contract), shows just how little income they generate from other sources. Its little wonder they posted a loss of £2.3m for the year.

However, its is the amount of directors loans that have had to be ploughed in that are the really eye-watering numbers - David Hughes has loaned the company a total of £10,202,276 and Ian Lenagan has loaned them £2,092,007, a combined total of £12,294,283 ! In the financial year that the accounst cover, David Hughes has had to pump in a total of £2,495,000 in order for them to keep operating. The accounts are up to 30th November 2012, so there'll be another year's worth of loans to add on to these figures.

Those kind of figures show you why it is going to be virtually impossible to keep a SL club going in London.

Which is the view the RFL top dogs have about the current Broncos. They do more harm than good to the profile of the sport.

Is that a fact?

However, its is the amount of directors loans that have had to be ploughed in that are the really eye-watering numbers - David Hughes has loaned the company a total of £10,202,276 and Ian Lenagan has loaned them £2,092,007, a combined total of £12,294,283 !

Those kind of figures show you why it is going to be virtually impossible to keep a SL club going in London.

Now these ARE facts and as always a big thank you to Derwent (and Griff) for coming up with the goods time after time. I make that over seven years a subsidy of £1.75M per year.

But it's quite unfair for anyone to single out Broncos as being unaffordable so get rid, because that large subsidy is mirrored elsewhere.

There's an idea for instance Sheffield Eagles are nearly ready for Superleague again, well how that can be anywhere near true given the club have few fans, not a very good ground and need six figures to try to assemble a professional squad which may then fail anyway I dunno.

Keeping a Superleague club going in more places than London is unaffordable without massive private subsidy, large subsidies come in at places like Huddersfield, Castleford and HKR and they struggle too. What price your Oxford's, North Wales Crusaders, Featherstones, leigh's, castlefords or Fartowns for SL without a very rich benevolent man at the helm.

It's the only entry ticket as far as I can see?

A turnover of just £1.6m (considering they get £1.3m of that from the TV contract), shows just how little income they generate from other sources. Its little wonder they posted a loss of £2.3m for the year.

However, its is the amount of directors loans that have had to be ploughed in that are the really eye-watering numbers - David Hughes has loaned the company a total of £10,202,276 and Ian Lenagan has loaned them £2,092,007, a combined total of £12,294,283 ! In the financial year that the accounst cover, David Hughes has had to pump in a total of £2,495,000 in order for them to keep operating. The accounts are up to 30th November 2012, so there'll be another year's worth of loans to add on to these figures.

Jeez - some scary numbers!

So basically it is saying they had costs of around £4m per year? What on? Is that the basic costs you would expect nowadays?

Keeping a Superleague club going in more places than London is unaffordable without massive private subsidy, large subsidies come in at places like Huddersfield, Castleford and HKR and they struggle too. What price your Oxford's, North Wales Crusaders, Featherstones, leigh's, castlefords or Fartowns for SL without a very rich benevolent man at the helm.

The difference is that pretty soon it seems that London will not have benefit of a rich benefactor. If they can find another one who is willing to subsidise them then by all means keep them in SL as they are, as you rightly say, in no worse a dependency position than some other clubs. But if you keep them in there without that benefactor then who is going to pick up the bill ? The money has to come from somewhere, and if its not there then there is no other option but to let them die (at least in terms of being a SL club).

What price your Oxford's, North Wales Crusaders, Featherstones, leigh's, castlefords or Fartowns for SL without a very rich benevolent man at the helm.

I can't speak for any of the others, but I'm not sure SL in Oxford is really the plan any time soon, regardless of what the RFL may or may not like.  We've got a great little ground, that'll sit 1,500 under cover in the two stands and take another 2,000 standing, and with a bit of growth and planning, a tilt at the Championship is both desirable and possible down the line. But not on the crowds we currently get. SL however is so far into dreamland as to almost be the stuff of nightmares given the inevitable financial chaos that would be hiding round the corner.

I think the expansion clubs are a great idea, but to do anything other than seed the game for the future is a very big ask of them.

simply move the broncos to yawkshure and nige and co will fall over themselves to help them..........just like they did to certain other clubs whilst watching the demise of blackpool,

simply move the broncos to yawkshure and nige and co will fall over themselves to help them..........just like they did to certain other clubs whilst watching the demise of blackpool,

brilliant - absolutely brilliant!

:lol:

That logic never did Scarborough any favours.

Were you there? You were missed by the tens of thousands of locals.

I'm sure there were a lot of locals but to suggest that there were 70,000 is rather disingenuous. Test matches involving England don't say much about the strength of the game because heartlanders will travel for those games.

The Bristol game that I did go to hardly had any heartlanders there because very few people will travel that kind of distance for USA vs Cooks.

edit: maybe the word "vast" is OTT but certainly the majority of fans will have travelled down for the game

I'm sure there were a lot of locals but to suggest that there were 70,000 is rather disingenuous. Test matches involving England don't say much about the strength of the game because heartlanders will travel for those games.

The Bristol game that I did go to hardly had any heartlanders there because very few people will travel that kind of distance for USA vs Cooks.

edit: maybe the word "vast" is OTT but certainly the majority of fans will have travelled down for the game

The word "vast" was chosen to illustrate your particular world view. It was nonsense then, as many others than me have pointed out. "certainly the majority" is certainly nonsense as well. In our section, virtually everybody was local, London based Antipodeans, or from the south east. Even if we accept this equally absurd exaggeration, then you are presumably accepting that perhaps 30k locals turned out for the game. Which would be the second largest crowd to date at the World Cup.

I have lived in and around London for 20 years, and can vouch first hand that there is wide knowledge of and appreciation for RL. There is a massive potential audience, if the sport is of the requisite quality and sold properly. I don't think we need a London team, for reasons I have espoused repeatedly, but anyone who believes the heartlands do not include London is demonstrably wrong.

At Bristol we were pretty much the only non locals in our part of the terrace. Though of course they may all have come down from Fev and have mastered Brissol accents on the way down...