Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terry Mullaney

Rovers mean Business

98 posts in this topic

L'angelo mysterioso please tell me you are taking the mickey with mergers there isnt a single true rugby league(club) supporter who believes mergers are a good idea

They're building a "world class facility" for GBP300,000? They should get on the phone to some football clubs then, QPR's new training complex is coming in at 25million. Tottenham have just sent a similar sum.

That is not too bad for a second tier club. 

For comparison would be the Broncos in the NRL, they just spent 6.5 million on a Academy at Logan-city,  and they are also spending 20 million on a training ground across the road in the heart of Brisbane from their clubs Head-quarters. 

Their feeder clubs are 3-4 of the biggest in Brisbane, Redcliffe city, Wynnum/Manly and Ipswich city, now they have invested into Logan city. 

The Warriors in NZ just shelled out for a High-altitude room for their training Gym. They are owned by a billionaire as well. 

Rugby league is doing nicely. 

Well done to Featherstone. Making 300 thousand pound stretch that far should be applauded.  

Posted · Hidden by ckn, November 22, 2013 - No reason given

angelo - you could just say well done or better still shut the ###### up 

you are one sad delusional individual

They're building a "world class facility" for GBP300,000? They should get on the phone to some football clubs then, QPR's new training complex is coming in at 25million. Tottenham have just sent a similar sum.

Hang on a minute, Fev already have the outdoor pitches on their very own 17 acres of land. We're talking about RL here in terms of world class not Premiership Football. I don't know but presumably QPR and Spurs are having to buy land to facilitate their respective initiatives? Fev don't.

And here we go again........

That is not too bad for a second tier club.

For comparison would be the Broncos in the NRL, they just spent 6.5 million on a Academy at Logan-city, and they are also spending 20 million on a training ground across the road in the heart of Brisbane from their clubs Head-quarters.

Their feeder clubs are 3-4 of the biggest in Brisbane, Redcliffe city, Wynnum/Manly and Ipswich city, now they have invested into Logan city.

The Warriors in NZ just shelled out for a High-altitude room for their training Gym. They are owned by a billionaire as well.

Rugby league is doing nicely.

Well done to Featherstone. Making 300 thousand pound stretch that far should be applauded.

You can't compare building costs between the UK and Oz. it seems way cheaper to build over here.

Look at the Titans Skiled Park. $160m to build a 27k seater. St Helen's Lagtree Park, less than a third of the price at £30m- though smaller in capacity.

Featherstone got name checked along with Wakefield and Castleford yesterday morning on test match special yesterday as he quickly moved on conversation from the Aussie commentator talking about "soccer" being played at the Gabba to State of Origin and then growing up within "2, 3 and 5" miles of the three clubs.  Sounded enthusastic and knowledgeable about the sport.

It's the state of the art Centre Of Excellence that excites me the most. As good as and better than most in world rugby league according to Mark Campbell. As well as the obvious benefits to Rovers players it will be a substantial, all year round income generator also.

I was referring to the risk that you highlighted in your original post Terry.

Chris, didn't you take part in the anti merger march back in 95??

I did but am now thinking it was the wrong thing to do

It's the state of the art Centre Of Excellence that excites me the most. As good as and better than most in world rugby league according to Mark Campbell. As well as the obvious benefits to Rovers players it will be a substantial, all year round income generator also.

how does this compare with Warrington's centre of excellence which was recently built? He seems confident that it is the best in UK RL which surprises me for a relatively modest amount.

how does this compare with Warrington's centre of excellence which was recently built? He seems confident that it is the best in UK RL which surprises me for a relatively modest amount.

To be fair there is probably some poetic licence......

facility's wise it may be up there with the best, maybe they have cut back on the trimmings and used sponsors to keep the build cost down?

Yes I did

Although I was in favour of the merger

My son who was twelve was against it

I spent the previous night making placards with him and went on the march with him 

It meant a lot to me that he felt strongly about something like that at his age and I was proud to support him

Indeed it might have been a different story, but didn't I see you in the march protesting about mergers back in 1995 ?

Have you changed your mind ?

Indeed it might have been a different story, but didn't I see you in the march protesting about mergers back in 1995 ?

Have you changed your mind ?

See my previous post

Did you take part in the march?

Apparently modelled on the Warrington complex Dave probably through JB's involvement. The cost I understand has been kept down largely through the build being done by volunteers, the same amazing people who are erecting the two new stands. They deserve some sort of award for what they've done for the club.

a number of SL clubs have centres of excellence on the agenda, widnes are building theirs as i type which is modelled on the liverpool fc academy complex, this is the way forward for all rl clubs........

Aren't Centres of Excellence required for clubs who won't have academies?

In the RFL 'strategy' doc, I mean.

a number of SL clubs have centres of excellence on the agenda, widnes are building theirs as i type which is modelled on the liverpool fc academy complex, this is the way forward for all rl clubs........

Correct

What Featherstone are doing is fantastic for them and the game, they should be universally applauded and held up as a shining example of forward thinking and good management.

It's OK comparing Thatto Heath but they're an amateur club and therefore have funding streams and grants available that a Pro club doesn't. They also don't have to cope with balancing the business side of a pro club while also putting out and running a competitive Championship team.

Comparisons with SL clubs like Warrington and Widnes are also unfair because a Championship club doesn't have the same level of investment, local Council assistance, Sponsorship etc..

Each of the above have all done great things but I think it's more difficult for a club like FR than it is for the others.

What Featherstone are doing is fantastic for them and the game, they should be universally applauded and held up as a shining example of forward thinking and good management.

It's OK comparing Thatto Heath but they're an amateur club and therefore have funding streams and grants available that a Pro club doesn't. They also don't have to cope with balancing the business side of a pro club while also putting out and running a competitive Championship team.

Comparisons with SL clubs like Warrington and Widnes are also unfair because a Championship club doesn't have the same level of investment, local Council assistance, Sponsorship etc..

Each of the above have all done great things but I think it's more difficult for a club like FR than it is for the others.

Correct

I was anti-mergers in '95 (aged 21).

I'm now pro-mergers.

Circumstances change, people change, over the course of time you sometimes start to see benefit in things that initially didn't appeal.

We needed stronger leadership and braver decision makers back then. In some ways the '95 plan was too soon - ahead of its time.

The time is now. We need the 4 mergers (Hull, Calder, Cheshire & Cumbria) and IMHO they will happen.