Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terry Mullaney

Rovers mean Business

98 posts in this topic

This picture sums everything up about my love for Featherstone.

9619315014_2b70a68d53_z.jpg

Whether we do or don't deserve Super League is always up for debate. But what the club (as a whole) has achieved since 2006 is quite simply staggering.

Over the years, we've seen some incredible highs and some horrible lows, but what we have got is unbelievable sense of togetherness, that has seen the club grown into what it is today.

I'm proud to be a Fev Fan and I love taking the photos for the club. People like Chris have supported me and given some priceless advice and i'll always be grateful.

Thank you for those kind words chris

I appreciate them more than you can know

The thing is though, What would Cas offer to Featherstone apart from their spot in Super League?

We think we can get there ourselves, we think we have better facilities too, we believe we can muster just as much support as they do. We are a club on the up, sadly the once great Castleford (whom I love to hate!) seem to be in decline.

Wakefield should be nowhere near a merger in any circumstances, they should stand alone as a "City" (or biggish town with a cathedral) team.

You cant see the wood for the trees mate.....

Just think what could be achieved if all three clubs put there efforts in one basket?

Cas had the site, fev had the stands, wakey had the err roof....

All three clubs could continue as feeder clubs. .....

Or theres the status quo of three struggling stubborn clubs...

Just think what could be achieved if all three clubs put there efforts in one basket?

Land that Cas didn't (and never will/would) own, a few stands that hold about 4000. Yep, a sure recipe for success.......

At a cost of £350K I think Rovers version has a bit more to offer, such as offices, physio dept, video analysis suite, wrestle area, weights and cardio areas as well as a running track. The club is already fielding enquiries from pro sporting clubs.

'Its state of the art. The best in RL and that includes the NRL' - Mark Campbell, Featherstone Rovers Chairman

What a load of rubbish coming from Mark Campbell. Great news fev but to say that its better than anything in the NRL is clear garbage. I have been and spent time at Melbourne and Souths the facilities they have are futuristic and cost way more than 350K. Melbourne have a fitness room for example where they can change the air pressure and have the latest machines that cost millions. Next door is the swimming pool and recovery baths at AAMI Park. Souths training facilities at Redfearn are again top notch with the latest technology as well as housing the community base there. Gold Coast spent 40 Million on their training facilities

No crowds though, there is literally no interest locally in a merged team.

How would you pay the wages?

Was hoping for a sensible debate about mergers independent of club loyalties. Good luck to Featherstone and any other clubs that grasp the nettles. No harm in a little hype..you do have to shout to be heard in the media these days.

Was hoping for a sensible debate about mergers independent of club loyalties. Good luck to Featherstone and any other clubs that grasp the nettles. No harm in a little hype..you do have to shout to be heard in the media these days.

Exactly! As well as operating in a different way, Featherstone have learned to institutionally speak in a different way too. It does no harm at all, even if it has to be taken with a small sack full of salt!

Just like the Welsh regions in rugby union which have been a resounding success eh? Whilst logically it might make sense, unfortunately fans are often illogical and stubborn in supporting 'their' teams and certainly wouldn't want anything to do with anything associated with a rival. In theory, great. In practice, not realistic as fans wouldn't support it, so there wouldn't be the revenue streams and it would ultimately fail

Just like the Welsh regions in rugby union which have been a resounding success eh? Whilst logically it might make sense, unfortunately fans are often illogical and stubborn in supporting 'their' teams and certainly wouldn't want anything to do with anything associated with a rival. In theory, great. In practice, not realistic as fans wouldn't support it, so there wouldn't be the revenue streams and it would ultimately fail

You may be right, but forget the "fans". If there was a merger in the Calder area Nahaboo may walk away, If Bradhuddersfax merged maybe the Daveys would pack up.Much more of a problem that then the "fans".

You maybe place too much importance on "the fans", when in reality it's the fans (not enough of them/too instransigent) that are the problem mergers or not

What if  a Koukash came along and said he'd buy all three Calder clubs and build them a big stadium in a central position and outbid all other clubs for the best local talent,and invest until the club had a new army of fans and won something?.

Would Cas, Fev and Wakey fans start doing pitch invasion protests and signing petitions?? Would Koukash be the enemy?l

Probably.......

Where do catalan get their fans from?

How did they grow their fanbase from 600 to 8500??

Why did people suddenly start to support them?

A championship club (fev) and two struggling SL clubs manage to attract sponsorship, I would imagine the vast majority would stay involved for a competitive combined club.

The bills would be cut as there would only be a need for one academy. ....

Just because a few ultras dont like the thought of progression into full time sport shouldn't stop progress..

Theres been a lot of talk about 'dormant' fans throughout the world cup. I should think they aren't too bothered about petty rivalry and will jump on the bandwagon of a successful SL club. ...

The original merger was abandoned and years later no progress has been made with Lancashire and Leeds, huddersfield, and Hull leaving us behind to argue about who has the nicest shed of a ground.

I just want to see teams be the best they can be, the evidence is there that unfortunately they were right all along.....

Let Mother Nature take her course...superstes de fittest ...

Bye Bye Broncos

Welcome Rovers.

I know there would be a big cheer from 80% of fans at the very least 

Bye Bye Broncos, Welcome Rovers.

I know there would be a big cheer from 80% of fans at the very least 

Is that a fact?

An interesting footnote in this debate is to look at the picture of the England squad wearing their amateur club shirts in today's LE.  There are three in Fev Lions shirts, the only amateur side with more representatives is St Pats.

An interesting footnote in this debate is to look at the picture of the England squad wearing their amateur club shirts in today's LE.  There are three in Fev Lions shirts, the only amateur side with more representatives is St Pats.

Indeed, the trick is to then get them into a Featherstone Rovers shirt.

Perhaps being Superleague perform the trick.  Why would any young player want to commit himself to Fev when there are SL clubs just down the road offering a better future? The picture IMO is proof that Fev can produce the players at the same rate as, say Wigan, which many other clubs can't claim.

Perhaps being Superleague perform the trick. Why would any young player want to commit himself to Fev when there are SL clubs just down the road offering a better future? The picture IMO is proof that Fev can produce the players at the same rate as, say Wigan, which many other clubs can't claim.

The Broncos can produce players too.

Perhaps being Superleague perform the trick.  Why would any young player want to commit himself to Fev when there are SL clubs just down the road offering a better future? The picture IMO is proof that Fev can produce the players at the same rate as, say Wigan, which many other clubs can't claim.

To be fair Fev produce players from Fev, but they also come from Pontefract, and Castleford attract some of those. Analysis of where the top 25 players in each SL side were born and bred shows, Leeds, Wigan, Hull and Cas/Fev/Ponte as the top four areas producing players.

But take care because if you look at how players gravitate to top professionals it often does start with them by-passing their local championship club. If a local SL club exists it can help ensure the player moves there, BUT if any of the big boys come calling then as we see, top SL clubs will take the better players off the bottom SL clubs.

So for me Featherstone need to be competing hard in SL not just surviving or they will end up being a nursery just like castleford are and this is a reason Superleague is failing in it's aims IMVHO.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but doesn't that support the argument that Fev in Super League will do nothing to increase the player pool whereas London would? I.e. lads in Fev still aspire to play SL because there's a club just down the road, whereas Londoners don't have a SL club within several hours' drive so will drift towards other sports.

(I say playing devil's advocate because I actually think Fev are doing a brilliant job and are developing into an excellent club)

I agree with your comment with regards to Welsh RU mergers. This is a relevant example and those that advocate mergers need to explain why the same downhill trend wouldn't happen as per those mergers or at least explain how that was done incorrectly and hence show why their version would be more successful in practice as well as some theoretic abstract.

I agree with your comment with regards to Welsh RU mergers. This is a relevant example and those that advocate mergers need to explain why the same downhill trend wouldn't happen as per those mergers or at least explain how that was done incorrectly and hence show why their version would be more successful in practice as well as some theoretic abstract.

And here we go yet again

Firstly nobody has to explain anything

Secondly an idea can be a good one the best one there is even but it still has to be made to work

This needs

A lack of self interest

A lot of open mindedness

Vision

Finance

Co operation

Will

Persistence

The abandonment of petty ego

Ability

None of these were in place in 1995

I doubt whether they are now

So the status quo will remain

There is the potential for a powerful major club within the Wakefield metropolitan area

But it won't happen no matter how good an idea it is

Just playing devil's advocate here, but doesn't that support the argument that Fev in Super League will do nothing to increase the player pool whereas London would? I.e. lads in Fev still aspire to play SL because there's a club just down the road, whereas Londoners don't have a SL club within several hours' drive so will drift towards other sports.

(I say playing devil's advocate because I actually think Fev are doing a brilliant job and are developing into an excellent club)

You have an excellent point. The Clamour to keep a London SL side was always about expanding the quality player pool. Robbie Burrow may have had a Featherstone Lions shirt on but he didn't find Leeds far to go. I do think that if Featherstone get in Superleague more local kids WILL want to play junior RL - there's a big correlation between SL clubs and kids playing locally in good numbers when you look at where junior clubs are based.

However, we may get more kids at Fev, but if struggling Wakefeld and Cas went down IMHO we'd see a loss in interest in junior RL there. Shame there isn't just one big SL club in one big modern ground for all that area which would inspire growth in Junior RL, and paying speccies into the future. Shame it's all about the past.

Where do catalan get their fans from?

How did they grow their fanbase from 600 to 8500??

Why did people suddenly start to support them?

A championship club (fev) and two struggling SL clubs manage to attract sponsorship, I would imagine the vast majority would stay involved for a competitive combined club.

The bills would be cut as there would only be a need for one academy. ....

Just because a few ultras dont like the thought of progression into full time sport shouldn't stop progress..

Theres been a lot of talk about 'dormant' fans throughout the world cup. I should think they aren't too bothered about petty rivalry and will jump on the bandwagon of a successful SL club. ...

The original merger was abandoned and years later no progress has been made with Lancashire and Leeds, huddersfield, and Hull leaving us behind to argue about who has the nicest shed of a ground.

I just want to see teams be the best they can be, the evidence is there that unfortunately they were right all along.....

Great post.

Why not merge all the teams in each county and we can play at county level like they do in cricket? 

Think of the crowds & commercial revenue that each county will generate. The game will boom, England will then be best country in the world and we are all happy.