Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Whitley

Playing the blame game

81 posts in this topic

Surely it was all McNamara's fault? 

You may well be right, because I wouldn’t blame any of the players for a decision made in a fraction of a second while on the pitch under enormous pressure I would say the coach had time (still under pressure) to make reflective decisions. The one crucial error on his part was the use of our bench. The way it was played we were effectively reduced to 2 and a half replacements (Burrow = half, not for his size, but for the amount of time he spent on the pitch). This will have put more of a physical and therefore mental strain on the remaining 15 Players. Had we made effective use of 17 players and not just 15 who knows how the last few minutes would have panned out.

Sinfield should have kicked it out.

In the heat of the battle, a mistake was made, it cost us dearly and I bet he's been beating himself up about it ever since. He then dived forwards to make the tackle that Johnson sidestepped, not because it was a rash decision, but because he was the captain of a team seconds away from the World Cup final and desperately wanted to get there.

The whole team stood up as a man to what is perhaps the best RL team for many a year IMO.

But you're picking on Sinfield again - you never blame anyone else. Sinfield did charge out of the line, but then so did two others with him, why didn't they stay back to cover?

any further reply on this nonsense claim of yours that I always blame Sinfield?

In the heat of the battle, a mistake was made, it cost us dearly and I bet he's been beating himself up about it ever since. He then dived forwards to make the tackle that Johnson sidestepped, not because it was a rash decision, but because he was the captain of a team seconds away from the World Cup final and desperately wanted to get there.

The whole team stood up as a man to what is perhaps the best RL team for many a year IMO.

Do you mean the Kiwis?

I'd like to know what Sinfield was thinking to kick in field and not put it out, a deep kick liek that would've required a long chase from an exahsuted England side to pin NZ deep down the field, that wasn't going to happen. Also when Sinfield runs up on Johnson, he hesitates as he's closing Johnson down, I know he has to break down and anticipat ethe side step, but he'd made the decision to close Johnson down then allows Johnson the millisecond he neds to step back and into the gap.

I don't think anyone is to blame as the game could've been finished off numerous times by both sides. If we'd won NZ would be going over there "what if's" there were plenty for both sides. Every player played a part. For me the biggest error was Charnley trying to keep the ball alive and blindly batting it back in field leading to an NZ try. I hate it when they do that in SL, it's a gamble, play safe kill the ball then defend.

some great points of view in this thred.took me a while to get thru all them posts and to be fair am still gutted for the lads, we had it won and  i had even gone in kitchen with 2 to go for another beer jumping round house. as i got up i thought kev were going to kick deep and and us have a big chase to smash em, would a been better to find touch and kill the clock, what will be will be but thats one hell of effort from every player. think burrows could a brought something to the last few minutes but dident get chance. a proud day for sure and just shows we aint that far off a  cup winning side. hope that letter never got sent to sm too as the writer were sure proved wrong on most points.it dont get much better.