Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOYALION

Fixtures for 2014?

43 posts in this topic

The list has been published on the web site.

Now seeing as we currently have no players, home venue or anything else is this a good sign?

I know that a list of fixtures would be thrown up in any case but for the club to post them on the site is a different thing entirely!

Loyal !

Are you a member of the supporters trust ?   If not please go to the website and download your application form and send it your subscription straight away.

The trust are working very hard at the moment and we need all the supporters behind us to keep things moving.

Riggy

Loyal !

Are you a member of the supporters trust ? If not please go to the website and download your application form and send it your subscription straight away.

The trust are working very hard at the moment and we need all the supporters behind us to keep things moving.

Riggy

I'm right behind you Riggy and not criticising anyone or trying to upset all the good work that is going on at the moment. I'm just seeing it as a positive that the fixtures have been posted and a glimmer of hipe for the future.

Perhaps I didnt post it correctly!

(or spell 'hope' correctly either)

I think you have perhaps struck on a bit of an "elephant in the room" Loyalion.  But a topic that needs addressing.

It is clearly a precondition of the club taking to the field next season for it to be included in the fixture list by the RFL, and therefore to see the name of Swinton Lions in there is definitely a very good thing.  But personally I wouldn't read too much more into the appearance of the fixtures on the club website, as much of the upkeep of that website is actually done on a voluntary basis (including by Ian Rigg himself), rather than by club employees.

Some confusion is understandable with blurring of the lines between what constitutes the club and what constitutes the Trust.  I do feel some people over the years have lost sight of the importance of the Trust existing as a properly functioning Independent body and delivering against an open constitution.  At a time such as this, absolute clarity is fundamental - especially if it transpires that the only way for the club to survive this crisis is for ordinary supporters to have to commit relatively large sums of money.

To this end, one thing I have personally found a little strange is why the club website http://www.swintonlionsrlc.co.uk and most recently this foum have been used to provide supporters with updates that have clearly come from the Trust, but not http://www.lionstrust.co.uk.

Additional clarity on these points would be very much welcomed, over to you Martin.

I didn't put the fixtures on Phil unless i have changed my name to Ryan !!  So yes it was updated by a club employee .

See you at Halifax for the first game !

I didn't put the fixtures on Phil unless i have changed my name to Ryan !!  So yes it was updated by a club employee .

See you at Halifax for the first game !

Best wishes to Ryan, good to know that he is still around as right now its not an exaggeration to say that he IS all that remains of Swinton Lions.

Cannot be an easy time for him at the moment, unless he is good at coping with uncertainty and has another income.

Thus a very big gap remains between Ryan, your good self or ANOther posting the fixture list to the club website and having a team ready to complete those fixtures, but I admire your confidence!

It makes sense to put them on this forum and indeed the club website.

I think most fans look on these two media firstly for information but I agree a similar statement on the actual trust site would do no harm and therefore I will mention this tonight at the meeting.

I never look on the club website now,have to admitt that The Swinton Lions Family page on Facebook seems to impart most information at the moment.

It makes sense to put them on this forum and indeed the club website.

I think most fans look on these two media firstly for information but I agree a similar statement on the actual trust site would do no harm and therefore I will mention this tonight at the meeting.

I emailed the Trust today suggesting that the Trust website should be the place for announcements with a very obvious "in your face" link to subscription details which might encourage any visitor to sign up.  There could be a link to such announcements posted on the Fans Forum. 

To answer Phil's question, the reason why I put the last update on the forum is that I work away a lot and I can't access the trust ( or club, they're both on the same server) website on my work laptop as it comes up as a gambling website. Don't know if anyone else has the problem, I think it can only be to do with adverts.

However as has been pointed out to me updates should really go on the Trust website, then hope that people then click on the membership page and become part of our growing team.

But I know the first thing that will happen is that someone will copy and paste onto here!

For info we will provide another update for Friday.

Same thing happens to me Martin. When I'm away from home my phone says I'm not allowed to access the Swinton website due to some restriction!...perhaps both gambling and Swinton RL aren't good for your health or your state of mind!

Same thing happens to me Martin. When I'm away from home my phone says I'm not allowed to access the Swinton website due to some restriction!...perhaps both gambling and Swinton RL aren't good for your health or your state of mind!

Well at present it certainly feels as though the Kidds are playing a game of Russian roulette with the future existance of the club!

Well at present it certainly feels as though the Kidds are playing a game of Russian roulette with the future existance of the club!

If only you knew the truth. There are lots of people doing lots of things at the moment. I will say no more

If only you knew the truth.

Amen to that, brother! Its high time that we ALL knew the truth.

You can't handle to truth!

Couldn't resist, welcome back Mr H!

He is entitled to his opinion and thoughts, but as Riggy states there are a lot of people pulling together to help keep our great club in existence.

Much of it can't be published just yet. I'd like to think that whatever the outcome all the supporters will learn how much effort is being made .

Amazing how we heard nothing from him when the team was finishing the season strongly though.

Why does Phil Hudson get such a hard time off you guys on here , all his posts are to the point and most turn out to be spot on. Some people have rose coloured spectacles on where Swinton Lions are concerned .For years now it dos'nt need.me or anybody else to tell all lions fans we have been lead down the garden path so to speak.Keep your views a coming Phil.

PS ,or is it up garden path.

Why does Phil Hudson get such a hard time off you guys on here , all his posts are to the point and most turn out to be spot on. Some people have rose coloured spectacles on where Swinton Lions are concerned .For years now it dos'nt need.me or anybody else to tell all lions fans we have been lead down the garden path so to speak.Keep your views a coming Phil.

PS ,or is it up garden path.

Yeah I can't see anything wrong with asking people like Martin and Riggy who I'm pretty certain are working away for our club for free to provide some "clarity."

If you are asking for me to respect an opinion respect the right to not agree with said opinion

Yeah I can't see anything wrong with asking people like Martin and Riggy who I'm pretty certain are working away for our club for free to provide some "clarity."

This statement in itself demonstrates why clarity is needed.

I'm not convinced Ian, Martin and others are actually "working away for (the Kidd's) club for free".  As I hope the midnight oil is actually being burned on behalf of the (still Independent) Supporters' Trust.

Whilst to some the difference may be a moot point, if we are on the cusp of the Trust entering into business negotiations with the Kidds the dividing line between the two organisations takes on increased importance.  The Trust committee has responsibilities to represent and protect the interests of the Trust membership.  Supporters considering providing financial support to help the Trust take the club over deserve just as good a level of scrutiny as any other private individual would insist on during the negotiation process.  Supporters' money is just as good as anyone else's money.

To give the maximum chance of the club surviving, an inspiring blueprint for the future of the club needs to emerge.  That blueprint needs to connect with the swathes of people who have had their trust and belief in the brand dented over the years.  I suspect playing to the ever decreasing captive audience won't be good enough, so the answer has to be bigger than that.  To rebuild that trust and have a successful mutual model of ownership, you need foundations of total openness and transparency.

So to do a Phillh and split the point and distract from the obvious............ are you suggesting that Martin and Riggy are getting paid?

I obviously know that is not what you mean but to me thats the whole point..youve deliberately diverted my point which was this;

What gives any of us,particularly you,the right to ask,nay demand,"clarity" from a volunteer who is doing more than you me or anyone else to provide information on something which they have obviously been asked to keep to themselves for now?

As for paragraphs three and four well surely this is all dependant on a little more patience.  Interestingly the trust sent me a letter today outlining the blueprint for the proposed board should they take over running of the club. I presume you got the same letter because its from the people you are asking for answers from? 

Whilst to some the difference may be a moot point, if we are on the cusp of the Trust entering into business negotiations with the Kidds the dividing line between the two organisations takes on increased importance.  The Trust committee has responsibilities to represent and protect the interests of the Trust membership.  Supporters considering providing financial support to help the Trust take the club over deserve just as good a level of scrutiny as any other private individual would insist on during the negotiation process.  Supporters' money is just as good as anyone else's money.

Two points: The elected officers and board of the Trust have a fiduciary duty to protect the interests of current members. There is an inference here that the Trust may not be representing the best interests of its membership. Based on? If the Trust takes over and decides to raise money, then full disclosure would be appropriate for potential investors. Until that time it is moot.

Second: negotiations on take-overs or ownership changes are almost never carried out in public. In this instance we are all lucky that the Trust is a potential party, otherwise we would know nothing, as we know nothing about other potential suitors.

As for an inspiring blueprint going forward, what's more inspiring that the real fans of this great club banding together to ensure its continued existence?