Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOYALION

Fixtures for 2014?

43 posts in this topic

Just to point out that I receive NO payment from the club or anyone else for the media work that I do for Swinton or any other club I write reports for.  I am a part time media freelance journalist.

At the moment I am working with the Trust trying to keep this great club alive and all supporters that want the same should get behind the efforts being made.

The point that Phill is trying to make is that he believes that the goodwill of the Trust and it's volunteers is being used to do the work and put the hard yards in for "the club" (ie. The Kidds) during their time of need, when in the past the relationship has often been one of begrudged acceptance and exploitation from those same custodians. Phill is making a point that the Trust is, ultimately, accountable to it's membership and not to the Kidds.

There are obviously a lot of blurred edges as the Trust and the wider supporter base clearly has an emotional stake and responsibility for Swinton Lions as fans.

Not really bothered what Phil thinks quite honestly.

This guy turned his back on the club last season and has constantly belittled the club saying nothing about the effort made by the coaching staff and players at the end of last season in keeping the club up.

Whatever those people who are involved from the trust do to try and make plans for the club in the event that it changes hands then they certainly are doing it out of love for 140 plus years of history which must be retained at all costs.

This requires the support of all the true Swinton fan base getting behind the "club"  and showing the RL, Salford Council and any potential backer that we ( the supporters) matter as much as anyone and we want a club.

The point that Phill is trying to make is that he believes that the goodwill of the Trust and it's volunteers is being used to do the work and put the hard yards in for "the club" (ie. The Kidds) during their time of need, when in the past the relationship has often been one of begrudged acceptance and exploitation from those same custodians. Phill is making a point that the Trust is, ultimately, accountable to it's membership and not to the Kidds.

There are obviously a lot of blurred edges as the Trust and the wider supporter base clearly has an emotional stake and responsibility for Swinton Lions as fans.

And this is something Ian Rigg quite clearly told him twice is not the case

And Jonty you rejoined the Trust I do believe in order to receive your trust updates?

Why does Phil Hudson get such a hard time off you guys on here , all his posts are to the point and most turn out to be spot on. Some people have rose coloured spectacles on where Swinton Lions are concerned .For years now it dos'nt need.me or anybody else to tell all lions fans we have been lead down the garden path so to speak.Keep your views a coming Phil.

PS ,or is it up garden path.

. Well said Pricey!

Not really bothered what Phil thinks quite honestly.

This guy turned his back on the club last season and has constantly belittled the club saying nothing about the effort made by the coaching staff and players at the end of last season in keeping the club up.

Whatever those people who are involved from the trust do to try and make plans for the club in the event that it changes hands then they certainly are doing it out of love for 140 plus years of history which must be retained at all costs.

This requires the support of all the true Swinton fan base getting behind the "club"  and showing the RL, Salford Council and any potential backer that we ( the supporters) matter as much as anyone and we want a club.

Its no secret that I found the morphing of Swinton Lions into Warrington's reserve side last season to be a step too far away from those 140 years of history (imagine my surprise at seeing Gary Chambers officially reinstated as an academy coach at the Halliwell Jones by the way - as if he ever truly left!).  So I'd say its important to bear in mind what the end goal is, as some aspects of the status quo don't bear up to scrutiny.  This and other solid reasons are behind the fact that a significant number of other formerly loyal supporters have lost their love for the club at various points, many having walked away a long time before 2013.  Are you also not bothered about the people who walked away the instant Station Road was sold, or when John Kidd wiped out the Trust's shares, or have lost patience with lack of progress with Agecroft... as you are talking about significant numbers?

My suggestion would be a better strategy could take on board some lessons from past errors of judgement, act to get the club back in touch with its real soul and insodoing have a reasonable chance of getting a significant number of lost fans back on board.  To effectively cast them aside by ignoring their rightful concerns I believe would be a massive missed opportunity.  The only other realistic option is to target an entirely new audience, as the club has arrived at a point where the scale of its remaining supporter base simply isn't big enough to sustain the business in the way it presently exists - however a strategy of targetting a new audience would not be compatible with the Trust's stated aims.  So in effect there is little choice - the Trust needs to try and reconnect with the lost supporters, or probably condemn the club to its grave.

"Retained at all costs" is also an interesting phrase to use and I would suggest is ill advised at this point.  Personally I would say that if it falls to the Trust to try and keep the present company afloat, any associated costs need to be realistic and fair. Plus money should be raised towards the goal of sustaining the future of the club rather than footing the bill of past mistakes taken by other people who at the time took steps to make sure they could act with total impunity.  Otherwise it may make more sense to start afresh, as has happened at the likes of Sheffield and Oldham.  At all points in this process it is necessary to ask the question - What is it that really matters? - and not lose sight of that.

Phil contained in the letter from the trust I've just received is a proposal for a structure of a new board should they take over the club

Have you read your letter?

Just to point out that I receive NO payment from the club or anyone else for the media work that I do for Swinton or any other club I write reports for.  I am a part time media freelance journalist.

At the moment I am working with the Trust trying to keep this great club alive and all supporters that want the same should get behind the efforts being made.

Which is exactly my point.  Don't let Mark Richardson's mischief making confuse - whatever the topic it is Mark's long established purpose in life to try and find ways of disagreeing / discrediting whatever view I happen to express.

What an array of excellent postings within the last day or so.

I wonder, maybe PhillH needs to 'come in from the cold' as it were.                                                                            

:yahoo:

I haven't posted on this forum for many years nor if truth be told have I attended Swinton matches for about 8 years. I feel compelled however to post in support of some of Phil H's comments.

As a past member of the trust board I left because I felt the trust wasn't acting as it should i.e. steadily acquiring more influence over the club on behalf of its members. I perceived that we were in fact more of a supporters club happy to handover cash whenever the begging bowl appeared with no appreciable return for the Trust or the fans. The Trust was 'screwed' over on a regular basis - this must not happen again.

Thankfully the current crisis appears to have awoken the Trust from its slumbers. As soon as Swinton left Station Rd we were on a long slow path to oblivion - ownership by one man was never a long term viable option. A club run by and for the fans was the only way forward both then and now.

I don't want yet another benefactor whoever the prefered option may be. The Trust must take over the club and then everyone can pull together to build a better future. There is latent support for Swinton that can be brought back (and I include myself in that) - just give us some hope and viable, sustainable plans.

Gandalf. I hope you do return to the fold

I'm a big fan of the trust it is indeed an entity which will now rise up and have a more appropriate influence in club affairs

My point is that the Trust ARE now doing something and my continued reference to the letter I received yesterday is due to the fact that it is now doing so

Good people are doing good things....whichever way anyone twists it or pontificates about it....their good efforts are ultimately for the good of Swinton Lions

Questioning their motives and having the arrogance to suggest things that they are already being done due to ignorance is something I find a little premature and equally outrageous

It is not mischief making purely and simply because I have the audacity to disagree.

On this occasion anyway. ....

Mark - I think in your posting (#29) you've misunderstood what I was meaning, but that's by-the-by.

Let's move on.

I understood your post fully Jonty.

The Trust being fully accountable to its membership is the bit Im continually referring to.

Its a shame you have to dumb down Phils posts for us plebs to understand them.

I hope that soon this nightmare will be over and we will still have a team to support. I have read all the diverse opinions and comments from supporters. It is easy to understand why fans have lost interest over the years. I hope that if the cub survives then all the ex supporters consider returning to support the club. They should be welcomed back by the current supporters.  We all care about the Lions and this crisis could be the catalyst for growth. I have taken everything for granted over the years and thought the Lions would always exist. It has taken this crisis for me to see the importance of the Supporters Trust and for each person to do something constructive. I have not agreed with everything I have read on the forum but clearly a lot of people care. If we pull together our club must have a future. If the ex fans who read the forum attended home games our crowds could double. I hope that we all pull together.

First game is away to Salford, but it has to be played at a neutral ground. London Broncos have offered their ground, where ever that may be.