Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Sports Personality of the Year 2013

74 posts in this topic

How Tai Woffinden missed out on being nominated is a mystery, our first speedway world champion for 13 years. He started the World Championship GP series as the rank 200/1 outsider and proceeded to not only win it but win it by some margin despite having to ride 2 meetings with a badly broken collarbone.

They should brighten golf up by installing hazards on the greens.

Things like a small windmill, where one has to hit the ball through the rotating blades. A giant walnut whip were the ball has to be hit up  until it falls down the middle, and every 18th hole should have a clown's mouth opening and closing to finish the round.

How Tai Woffinden ... our first speedway world champion for 13 years ... despite having to ride 2 meetings with a badly broken collarbone.

How do you get a good broken collarbone?

;)

How do you get a good broken collarbone?

;)

How on earth can you ride one of those contraption across shale with a broken collarbone?  Lord have mercy that must have smarted a bit!

How on earth can you ride one of those contraption across shale with a broken collarbone?  Lord have mercy that must have smarted a bit!

Seriously, he looked like he had a coat hanger sticking out of his shoulders !

How Tai Woffinden missed out on being nominated is a mystery, our first speedway world champion for 13 years. He started the World Championship GP series as the rank 200/1 outsider and proceeded to not only win it but win it by some margin despite having to ride 2 meetings with a badly broken collarbone.

Is he the young lad from Scunny?

Ian Woosnam is already getting ready to kick off in spectacular fashion.

But Golf is not a sport but just a waste of a good walk.

I'd love to see Sam Burgess win it one year, he really is the supreme example of a rugby footballer, but as long as he plays RL he's no chance.  When I was a kid and a Neil Fox worshipper I could never understand why the likes of RGD (Dickie) Jeeps was nominated but Neil wasn't, there was no comparison, Neil was the complete footballer.  It was a case of "when I was a child I spake as a child etc" 

I'd love to see Sam Burgess win it one year, he really is the supreme example of a rugby footballer, but as long as he plays RL he's no chance.  When I was a kid and a Neil Fox worshipper I could never understand why the likes of RGD (Dickie) Jeeps was nominated but Neil wasn't, there was no comparison, Neil was the complete footballer.  It was a case of "when I was a child I spake as a child etc" 

To be honest, a sportsman has to win an international trophy to be considered. That probably means beating the Kangaroos. And, if we did that, we'd get shortlisted for the team award, rather than one player winning the individual prize.

To be fair, it probably would go to the RU Lions even on a public vote.  As it's journos voting for what they 'know' though it's definitely going to be the Lions.

Surely the Mighty Bantams of Bradford City are odds on certainties?

Have to say how proud and emotional I was seeing my friends Sara and Michael picking up the Helen Rowlenson award on behalf of their mum Ann.

Have to say how proud and emotional I was seeing my friends Sara and Michael picking up the Helen Rowlenson award on behalf of their mum Ann.

I had hoped for Steve Prescott to win but the award to Ann Williams was very special and totally deserved.

I got seriously p-eed off about SPOTY this year, every time I turned it over I was seeing a Union winner, or a Union blast. Warren Gatlend Coach of the Year? Really? GB & I RU, Team of the year, just because they won a test in Australia? and Wales Union's Halfpenny 2nd in the overall SPOTY?

What a load of Botox

I had hoped for Steve Prescott to win but the award to Ann Williams was very special and totally deserved.

It was sad to see Steve Prescott among the deceased, but as he was last on the video, they lingered on Rugby League personnel after the slide show, with Brian Noble being the focus

From what I know Ann Williams had been chosen before Steve Prescott sadly died. 

How did the trophy, returned last night by Wiggins, manage to get to the USA so quickly. I'm very impressed! Or is there more than one? If so was there another ready to be presented to Farah? They seemed very confident of Murray's win too, with a satelite video link and a Navratilova in place. Was Haile Gebrselassie in place to present to Farah if needed? Ian Botham ready to hand it over to Ian Bell in Perth had he just knocked an unbeaten double century that swayed the vote?

How did the trophy, returned last night by Wiggins, manage to get to the USA so quickly. I'm very impressed! Or is there more than one? If so was there another ready to be presented to Farah? They seemed very confident of Murray's win too, with a satelite video link and a Navratilova in place. Was Haile Gebrselassie in place to present to Farah if needed? Ian Botham ready to hand it over to Ian Bell in Perth had he just knocked an unbeaten double century that swayed the vote?

It does show that the BBC are not conspiring so much as being out of touch.  Most of the people involved with this at the BBC will have played plenty of tennis, as will most of their social group. In their world, tennis is a huge mainstream sport and a Brit winning Wimbledon is enormous.

Equally, they might know of someone who is a rugby league fan, which is a little quirky.  

I wondered about that. There must be at least two.

I think it's pretty standard practise to have more than 1 copies of major trophies.

There are 3 Challenge cups, the original never leaves Red Hall as it's pretty worn out. I think the holders have one copy and there is another one that does the rounds.

I have looked after it and moved it around in my car, it is transported in in two bespoke packing cases.

No problem with Murray winning; first mens Wimbledon title in 77 years is a very big thing indeed.

Really? GB & I RU, Team of the year, just because they won a test in Australia? and Wales Union's Halfpenny 2nd in the overall SPOTY?

The RU Lions actually won a test series in Australia rather than just a one off test.

Halfpenny was a key player in the victorious Lions team and the Welsh side who won the 6 Nations. Not a bad season but agree there were greater achievements from other sportsmen.

The RU Lions actually won a test series in Australia rather than just a one off test.

Halfpenny was a key player in the victorious Lions team and the Welsh side who won the 6 Nations. Not a bad season but agree there were greater achievements from other sportsmen.

At least Halfpenny got to #2 in the awards on a public vote.

As for the team of the year and manager of the year awards, I'm not sure that Gatland-style Rugby is something we should celebrate or encourage.

They did show Murray in the US just before the Awards were announced and in a way gave the show away, but there again it ended up overwhelming in his favour.

Sorry, thinking of the World Sportsperson award.

Which will be won by Sebastian Vettel.

Ahem.