Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

Complain to the BBC about this

86 posts in this topic

I think the clue may lie in the "British" in BBC

so why have an international site?

so why have an international site?

They can advertise on it

For the good of Rugby League world wide complain to the BBC about this. They haven't and wouldn't do it to union.

For the good of Rugby League world wide complain to the BBC about this. They haven't and wouldn't do it to union.

Probably based on demand. Maybe there just aren't that many people clicking on RL from overseas. I just don't think there's a conspiracy here. 

Probably based on demand. Maybe there just aren't that many people clicking on RL from overseas. I just don't think there's a conspiracy here. 

What even in Australia and New Zealand?

In Australia I'm sure there are numbers visiting the BBC website for League news which are comparable to those visiting for Union news.

so why now? Did the numbers go down during the World Cup?

Sounds fair enough if they're just geo-targeting content(who cares about rugby league in South America, honestly?), but if I've followed the thread properly that doesn't explain why its getting shifted in Australia.

Complaint filed from Singapore. The BBC is, as its title suggests, foremost a British service and RL being one of the country's major spectator sports, it follows that it should have major coverage of it, no matter where in the world the website goes to.

ITs obviouse the further you are from salford media city RL will be harder to find!!!

Sounds fair enough if they're just geo-targeting content(who cares about rugby league in South America, honestly?), but if I've followed the thread properly that doesn't explain why its getting shifted in Australia.

Outside Australia, the NRL GF had Argentina, Chile and Brazil included in the top ten viewings. So a decent amount I would say

Outside Australia, the NRL GF had Argentina, Chile and Brazil included in the top ten viewings. So a decent amount I would say

You understand the concept of finite space, though? Only so many sports can occupy the navigation bar on the BBC sports website. You're not honestly suggesting that rugby league is popular enough in said countries to take priority over soccer, basketball, baseball, rugby union, boxing, and whatever else they watch in those countries, are you? That'd be like saying Canadian Football deserves priority on BBC.co.uk.

All the fact you've referenced really tells us is that the NRL GF isn't that popular outside of Australia, NZ, England and a few other countries. That Argentina, Chile and Brazil ranked in the top ten viewings doesn't really say much about how popular rugby league is in those countries. Think about it.

So the NRL grand final was top 10 viewing in a continent that has virtually no RL presence, at 4-6am in the morning according to timezone conversions?

If it was, we are talking about numbers in the few thousands, which doesn't really say much about the popularity of the NRL final.

I used to have problems watching iPlayer when I lived in Uxbridge, but that was maybe because my ISP was AOL, so it maybe a server type thing, as was said before they probably have either a different website for overseas, of some kind of filter to make locally popular sports more accessable,

Its not on the iPhone/Pad version of the BBC website either, probably because of space

So the NRL grand final was top 10 viewing in a continent that has virtually no RL presence, at 4-6am in the morning according to timezone conversions?

If it was, we are talking about numbers in the few thousands, which doesn't really say much about the popularity of the NRL final.

Hello.

I would just like to say I think it's wonderful that you are so cheerful in all your posts about Rugby League. Could please post some more of your wisdom as I could really do with a pick me up atm?

Dont take my NRL comment the wrong way. it was simply a response to someone dismissing South America as un-interested in RL. I was simply saying it is arguable these nations are in the top ten of our sport's international customers and I think my point gave that some proof.

Chris:

How many baseball and basketball articles do the bbc write that would be of interest to South Americans? None. Are they writing match reports for NBA or MLB or Canadian Football for that matter? No.

Don't ask me to 'think about' my comments when yours clearly are not.

It's called the British Broadcasting Corporation and presents news of significance to Britain. The BBC chose to drop RL from the top banner sports on the eve of the WC final on its international site. This clearly shows the BBC don't regard RL to have a big enough international profile. To make this statement on the eve of the RL WC is a slap in the face.

What I am asking for priority based on the international significance of the subject and articles they write and post.

Mr Wind Up: the viewing figures had a minimum of six numbers in each of the SA countries listed.

Still there on my iPad....accessing from manchester

Now I'm home in sydney and yep, it's gone.

Complaint filed!

Mr Wind Up: the viewing figures had a minimum of six numbers in each of the SA countries listed.

Hundreds of thousands of people were up across the continent in the early morning? Right. A source would be nice.

Hundreds of thousands of people were up across the continent in the early morning? Right. A source would be nice.

The NRL

We are in the closed season. The only news at present is bad news.

relegated to 'other sports' again in the torygraph

That my friend is why we have to put pressure on the BBC to get Rugby League back in the main sports section of the BBC site overseas. Unless we complain the BBC and the Telgraph will think we are happy to be relegated to the other sports sections.

Has anyone has a reply from the BBC yet?

Certainly not me yet. Others who have not complainted yet to the BBC compalints department need to do so ASAP. As fans we need to right this wrong by the BBC.

What has taken its place? Or have they just moved it and there's one less option?