Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bbfaz

Where are we for 2014?

148 posts in this topic

Tier 5 South Region 1 Sector 5G Cadre 8X

Have we always been at war with Eurasia?

Have we always been at war with Eurasia?

We are at war with Eastasia, who's side are you on? 

I've not been paying attention. What tier is this now?

Tier 3 this coming season but reclassified as tier 4 for 2015 (Championship 1 is to become its own tier)

Incidentallt the entry league (i.e. merit leagues) will become their own tier 6

I had heard that a summer tag rugby team in SW London were thinking of joining the merit League in 2014 - could this be them?

Sorry to drag this one up but I met one of the members of their committee and this is definitely a go.  They'll be called Wests Warriors and playing at Wasps training ground.

EDIT: London Division 1 fixtures have been released.  Five teams, eight league games, top eight playoff.

Elmbridge Eagles

Esher Exiles (renamed Thames Ditton Tigers who play at Esher RFC)

Beckenham Bears

Newham Dockers

South West London Chargers A

Tier 3 this coming season but reclassified as tier 4 for 2015 (Championship 1 is to become its own tier)

Incidentallt the entry league (i.e. merit leagues) will become their own tier 6

Many thanks.

5 teams plus another couple of divisions in a catchment area of what 6 million and thousands of pounds of development investment, we have to proberly wait for the RU season to finish so we can get teams to fulfill the 8 fixtures and make sure the fixtures are finished before September so we have teams to finish the fixtures. Lets get a few playing touch rugby (the RU may claim these for their figures as well) we are becoming a part time sport.

The RFL call this expansion, am I being cynical??

5 teams plus another couple of divisions in a catchment area of what 6 million and thousands of pounds of development investment, we have to proberly wait for the RU season to finish so we can get teams to fulfill the 8 fixtures and make sure the fixtures are finished before September so we have teams to finish the fixtures. Lets get a few playing touch rugby (the RU may claim these for their figures as well) we are becoming a part time sport.

The RFL call this expansion, am I being cynical??

London really hasn't done well for sustainable clubs. The oldest amateur club at open age level is now Hammersmith Hillshoists (founded 2009) with the second oldest Newham Dockers (founded 2012). If rumours are to be believed HHH are struggling themselves. The only established name on the London RL map is London Skolars and their reserves. Fair point on the short season, I think we should at least be working towards getting one full season league in London and the South East

London Premier is a 7 team comp running from April to August. Hemel A, Skolars A, St Albans, Eastern, Hammersmith, SW London, & Stains.

London Div 1 is a 5 team comp running May to August. Elmbridge, Beckenham, Esher, Newham, & SW London A.

London Entry has 3 teams in Fulham Fox's, Western Warriors, & Brentwood with the possibility of some of a the other clubs adding a development team to the comp.

Add to that 6 teams in the East Premier, + their own Entry League. Another 6 teams in the South East Premier + their own entry league.

So in London and East/South East you have 24 teams in fully fixtured comps. With at least another 10 in various Entry Leagues. That has to be the most in London RL history?

Most of the clubs might be new but they are run and have players that have been around London RL for a long time.

2014 -> first year to have an April to August comp

2014 -> first year to have a division 1 in London

2014 -> first year to have 30 teams playing rugby league in London & East/South East

Yeah rugby league is going backwards in London, let's all give up!!

Also seen Brentwood listed as in the East Entry League though, so not sure which it is?

www.bedfordrugby.com lists the 2 east divisions in their table section (Bovingdon Bulldogs are from HMP the Mount)

The thing is all it takes is RU to create a midseason break (extending the season) or to switch to summer and most clubs would fold over night. They need to have stronger clubs with an attached junior set up and at least some clubs playing a full season (preferably a division parallel to Conference League South based on the London Premier; but at the very least a couple of sides stepping up there) otherwise it's just a constant treadmill of clubs folding and new ones forming.

Conference League South is a joke when Sheffield play in that comp.

Most London Premier teams can match those teams and in my eyes that should be the basis for a tier 3 comp in the South.

80% of the Harry Jepson winners in the last 10 years have come from the London winners.

Why is there a need to have juniors? London junior rugby league is thriving with clubs all over london. The pathway exists for any of those kids North South East and West.

The season is becoming longer and more Rugby League player focused. Look at SW London training in January and playing in February. Plus other clubs organising friendlies for March. Neither of which have been done before

Let's be a bit more positive? Change takes time!

Think you are missing the point, I would hope RL takes off in all areas and the aim must be to be bigger than RU that must be the goal, or have more participants than table tennis (see sport England statistics)

- RL in London has been going for decades

- Possibly more money spent on development than any other area, including the so called heartlands

- April to August is RU off season, if you are happy to have one or two teams playing friendlies in March then so be it

- 24 teams in a catchment area of millions is not a good return

- I saw the entry league last year 15 teams played an average of 2.5 games

Bowes made a good point what would we do if RU changed their season, very few clubs have their own facilities and using RU facilities and players is actually making their game stronger, they have been cleaver using RL to keep them afloat during the off season

I do not know the answer every year we say give us time, due to the catchment area there must be potential we have never achieved the potential

Bowes made a good point what would we do if RU changed their season, very few clubs have their own facilities and using RU facilities and players is actually making their game stronger, they have been cleaver using RL to keep them afloat during the off season

Whose facilities due you suggest we use instead?

As I said I do not know the answer, the easiest option is to use RU but there must be other options rather than taking the easiest route, will we ever be a stand alone game in the south without this happening. If you are happy with a total of 50k playing the game now when we had nearly 90k in 2008 I see this as a problem, which switching seasons and expanding areas has not solved, there is a steady decline in most team sports, personally I do not think the RFL have done enough, don't forget the game pay people to work on things like this

As I said I do not know the answer, the easiest option is to use RU but there must be other options rather than taking the easiest route, will we ever be a stand alone game in the south without this happening. If you are happy with a total of 50k playing the game now when we had nearly 90k in 2008 I see this as a problem, which switching seasons and expanding areas has not solved, there is a steady decline in most team sports, personally I do not think the RFL have done enough, don't forget the game pay people to work on things like this

"RFL is rubbish" "we must be bigger than RU" "let's all spend £500,000+ on our own facilities" "summer is not the solution" "london has a catchment of 8,000,000"

Rable Rable Rable - change the record!!

London is increasing participation each year when there are 1,000's of things to do in london.

I'd be more worried about the reduced participation in a pit town where the only other option is sitting in a pub!!

I think the pit town folk are the ones who have kept the game afloat, there are not a fantastic amount of London super league players, you need a goal and what is wrong with wanting to be bigger than RU, if the game had not been victimised against in the past what's to say it would not have been. If you are happy for teams to play an average of 2.5 games in a short season well so be it.

I think you are right though the RFL could do better

I will comment more later but in my dealings with theRFL, London's club and competitions manager stands out as doing the absolute best he can with the limited money he has available now.  The issue is when the money flowed, people tried to build empires and it didn't work.  I almost think we're better off having no money!

Your right money and time wasted, I read on the forum, now Broncos have moved they are just going to develop the area around Barnett, SW London is to be left to dwindle, not my words

If you are happy for teams to play an average of 2.5 games in a short season well so be it.

I think you are right though the RFL could do better

Nice selective use of statistics - the majority of teams played more than that.

I don't think the RFL do a bad job. I was quoting you.

I'll leave you to it now. Obviously sat in a little town with no idea of the big wild world outside your window.

Your right money and time wasted, I read on the forum, now Broncos have moved they are just going to develop the area around Barnett, SW London is to be left to dwindle, not my words

The Broncos have (and have never had) any effect on London senior or junior rugby league other than a place to watch Super League. The move won't make any changes to London Rugby League.

They could even shut Broncos down and it wouldn't change a thing.

Most London Premier teams can match those teams and in my eyes that should be the basis for a tier 3 comp in the South.

80% of the Harry Jepson winners in the last 10 years have come from the London winners.

Why is there a need to have juniors? London junior rugby league is thriving with clubs all over london. The pathway exists for any of those kids North South East and West.

The season is becoming longer and more Rugby League player focused. Look at SW London training in January and playing in February. Plus other clubs organising friendlies for March. Neither of which have been done before

Yeah lets be positive and then label other comps a joke....

I speak as somebody who was involved with an Entry League team last year and it was probably the most messed up season you could ever imagine.  Very transitional, lots of clubs who'd previously been fairly prolific went down the tubes and new teams just emerged from nowhere.  We were caught on the hop and were slightly left behind as we set our fixtures pre-season and had games against Weald A, Barking & Dagenham and Greenwich cancelled due to lack of numbers at their end, while teams like Southend and Thames Ditton racked up the games.  Plus, last year a number of inter-divisional games counted for the Entry League so teams like Skolars A, Hemel A and Guildford.

If you look at the teams that were serious in fielding a regular side, it averages out to just over five games per team.  However, if you said twelve months ago that in 2014 there would be a five-team London Division 1, you'd have thought Barking & Dagenham and Greenwich would be nailed on but neither exist now

So many London clubs win the Harry Jepson because they've declined to follow the lead of the likes of Hemel, Coventry, Nottingham, Bristol etc of aspiring to play at a higher level.

The London clubs en masse declined to play CLS so they by default can't be the basis, most are happy with a shorter season and not meeting minimum criteria on juniors. Personally I think we should build up the London Premier so a few years from now it can be parallel to CLS on and off the field as I suspect the fact that CLS sees much more travelling is the off putting factor. The experience of St Albans and the influx of fringe pro players suggest it is a higher standard than London Premier (but London Skolars A could easily make the step up, assuming they haven't lost too many players to their new academy side, on the field so could SW London but doubt they'd meet the criteria)

Sorry drifter this is off the website, I only quote statistics when I see them in black and white, best get someone to take them off before we get the wrong idea. Bbfaz and Bowes seem to have a lot more information and knowledge than myself and not everything seems to be rosy, even Hemel and St Albans who are shinning lights their A teams only played one game each, 15 teams playing home and away 28 games you could run a March to October season now that would be progress

LSEEL LEAGUE TABLE

P W L D PF PA DIFF BNS PTS

South West London Chargers A 7 5 2 0 232 156 76 0 20

Newham Dockers RL 6 4 1 1 210 108 102 0 16

Staines Titans 3 3 0 0 150 36 114 0 11

Thames Ditton Tigers 5 1 4 0 116 156 -40 0 7

Barking & Dagenham Bulldogs 2 2 0 0 112 26 86 0 6

St Albans Centurions A 2 2 0 0 84 36 48 0 6

Beckenham Bears 4 0 3 1 58 196 -138 0 6

Southend Spartans 6 0 6 0 70 290 -220 0 6

London Skolars A 1 1 0 0 80 14 66 0 3

Hemel Stags A 1 1 0 0 58 28 30 0 3

Mudchute Uncles 1 1 0 0 28 12 16 0 3

Hammersmith Hill Hoists A 1 0 1 0 16 48 -32 0 2

Guildford Giants 2 0 2 0 32 126 -94 0 2

Greenwich Admirals 1 0 1 0 10 24 -14 0 1

Weald Warriors �A� 1 0 1 0 10 56 -46 0 1

In fairness Skolars A and Hemel A shouldn't have been in that league as they played 2 divisions higher. The consolidation of the above into a 5 team division plus one premier division team is a step in the right direction IMO, though seems a big step up for Staines from a 3 game season. I have some concerns that the West London clubs will step on each others toes this season, but I guess you can't turn clubs down at merit league level and it's inevitable the area with the Aussies will have the most teams.

Staines got through to the london cup final and then found other entry league sides didnt want to play them as they were a lot stronger so they would have played more league games.