Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banbury Wolf

New International Team Rankings

43 posts in this topic

Time for our usual oar into the discussion at this point: We use Elo ratings for a more realistic (but still not perfect!) rankings as per www.rugbyleagueratings.com/international

1              Australia                             2258

2              New Zealand                      1920

3              England                              1772

4              Fiji                                       1374

5              Tonga                                  1334

6              Samoa                                 1325

7              Papua New Guinea             1304

8              France                                 1261

9              Cook Islands                       1198

10           Wales                                    1104

11           Scotland                               1070

12           Ireland                                  1044

13           Lebanon                              1024

14           Italy                                       762

15           USA                                       658

16           Niue                                      620

17           Russia                                   578

18           Serbia                                   287

19           Malta                                    242

20           Canada                                214

21           Germany                              199

22           Greece                                 194

23           South Africa                         164

24           Netherlands                         138

25           Norway                                135

26           Ukraine                                121

27           Denmark                             102

28           Portugal                               98

29           Czech Republic                    97

30           Jamaica                                89

31           Latvia                                   85

32           Japan                                   80

33           Catalonia                              59

34           Sweden                                58

35           Morocco                               45

36           Vanuatu                               42

37           Belgium                                38

38           Estonia                                 34

39           Phillipines                            29

40           Pakistan                               22

41           Thailand                               22

42           Hungary                               21

43           UAE                                      13

44           Solomon Islands                   11

So Italy should be ranked above England?

It's a tricky point, as that match wasn't played under test rules. Not sure about the other warm up matches

20           Canada                                214

21           Germany                              199

22           Greece                                 194

23           South Africa                         164

24           Netherlands                         138

25           Norway                                135

How come Greece are so high? They've only played 1 match!

France do at least develop their own players. Take the Australians and Kiwis out of the likes of Fiji, Samoa and Fiji and see how they perform. France would beat them all comfortably.

is that why they were so lucky to beat PNG??????????? if mead had been a better kicker they would have been out.

How is France fourth?

Which teams have they beaten to be there?

3 wins in 21 games gets you fourth spot?

PNG in the WC

Wales in 2012

Scotland 2008

The other 18 games were loses, many massacres.

7 wins since 2009

2 v Ireland 2010/2011

2 v Wales 2012

2 v Scotland 2010/2011

1 v PNG 2013

is that wht france were the lowest points scorers in the world cup?? get over it they are garbage........

Ireland got less.

Surely the rankings should be relative to performance and not relative to their ability to host games?

Earlier poster stated playing major nations counts regardless of the outcome.

Who picks up the tab when the Kangaroos come calling?

France have the means to pay their way.

They are talking of touring NZ in 2015.

And the rest! Mostly low-rated minor games for ex-pats, but still...

31/08/2003         Greece 26           New Caledonia      10          

02/10/2003         Italy       26           Greece                 24           Ionio Cup

06/03/2004         Greece 56           New Caledonia        8             

02/10/2004         Italy       58           Greece                 14           Ionio Cup

08/10/2005         Malta    24           Greece                  22           (Sydney)

28/10/2006         Greece 44           Serbia                   26          

01/10/2007         Greece 58           Scotland Students 32          

10/10/2009         Greece 42           Portugal                 16           Med Shield

17/10/2009         Greece 34           Italy                        10           Aus-Med Shield Final

20/10/2012         Vanuatu 14           Greece                 24          

27/10/2013         Hungary  0           Greece                 90

Well, last France - Scotland was... 46-10 for France, two years ago.  34-16 vs Ireland. 20-6 vs Wales. 

Then again, just look at France-Samoa.... they could have won this time, no kidding. Plus, they weren't bad vs England, ignoring the score result. 

They're nowhere near Australia/Kiwi but... just let a Super League team, without the foreigners, like Wigan/Huddersfield/Warrington and see what happen... don't even think about throwing in Widnes, dude. French are just one pro-side... They're Catalans without foreigners, and yet they can hold on some good teams (such as England in the 2nd part of the quarter final game). 

I personnaly think they can beat Samoa and Fiji, maybe not everytime but they absolutely can. 

When i see people spewing their hate on a team just because they hate Frenchmen... come on man, they're just an emerging side. They're not the 4th nation, we're okay on that point, but... they're not "GARBAGE", watch your language man... That's pretty awful to say "theyre just garbage"... they're men, they're rugby league players and they love the game... yet they are garbage to you... 

And the rest! Mostly low-rated minor games for ex-pats, but still...

31/08/2003         Greece 26           New Caledonia      10          

02/10/2003         Italy       26           Greece                 24           Ionio Cup

06/03/2004         Greece 56           New Caledonia        8             

02/10/2004         Italy       58           Greece                 14           Ionio Cup

08/10/2005         Malta    24           Greece                  22           (Sydney)

28/10/2006         Greece 44           Serbia                   26          

01/10/2007         Greece 58           Scotland Students 32          

10/10/2009         Greece 42           Portugal                 16           Med Shield

17/10/2009         Greece 34           Italy                        10           Aus-Med Shield Final

20/10/2012         Vanuatu 14           Greece                 24          

27/10/2013         Hungary  0           Greece                 90

I knew about Vanuatu, don't know why I didn't think of that one, at least. Wasn't aware of the others though, were they under a different governing body? I thought the Hellenic Rugby League Federation had only just formed.

the ranking  are really pointless for a lot of teams  for instance  usa   for the world cup there stuff the team full of ranking players from around the world  and get good results but for the colonial cup games against Canada they use domestic players  thus you have in reality 2 different squads  but with both having there results pooled together

great way for England to improve there position  . do away with the 4 nations comp in Australia  and instead play a full euro nations cup comp  in England next year  with games against

wales

ireland

scotland

france

italy

serbia

Greece

and any other nation willing to send a team over

I knew about Vanuatu, don't know why I didn't think of that one, at least. Wasn't aware of the others though, were they under a different governing body? I thought the Hellenic Rugby League Federation had only just formed.

I think Colin Mylonas, an Aussie-Greek set up a previous administration, I assume he couldn't keep it going himself. No doubt more info floating about.

True, but they exist and are therefore a few places ahead of Portugal.

great way for England to improve there position  . do away with the 4 nations comp in Australia  and instead play a full euro nations cup comp  in England next year  with games against

wales

ireland

scotland

france

italy

serbia

Greece

and any other nation willing to send a team over

McNamara was running scared of Denmark when I challenged him to a game.  Until he is willing to face up to it, I think Denmark are morally the reigning European champions.

ELO rankings look much better.

I would prefer the use of them.

Or why don't they give the top team 100 points (the top ream should always be on 100 points) and simply move the other teams around them.

Australia 100

New Zealand 89

England 84

Fiji 71

France 65

Samoa 63

Greece 12

Gibraltar 7

South Sudan 5

Mali 4

Bhutan 3

The Cayman Islands 2

Wales 1

Etc etc

ELO rankings look much better.

I would prefer the use of them.

Or why don't they give the top team 100 points (the top ream should always be on 100 points) and simply move the other teams around them.

Australia 100

New Zealand 89

England 84

Fiji 71

France 65

Samoa 63

Greece 12

Gibraltar 7

South Sudan 5

Mali 4

Bhutan 3

The Cayman Islands 2

Wales 1

Etc etc

That would be an interesting way of presenting them, but then you lose the comparability between current and past teams - I'd not be able to tell you that England's highest rating so far (1,955) was achieved in March 1929 when they beat "Other Nationalities" :)

Well, last France - Scotland was... 46-10 for France, two years ago.  34-16 vs Ireland. 20-6 vs Wales. 

Then again, just look at France-Samoa.... they could have won this time, no kidding. Plus, they weren't bad vs England, ignoring the score result. 

They're nowhere near Australia/Kiwi but... just let a Super League team, without the foreigners, like Wigan/Huddersfield/Warrington and see what happen... don't even think about throwing in Widnes, dude. French are just one pro-side... They're Catalans without foreigners, and yet they can hold on some good teams (such as England in the 2nd part of the quarter final game). 

I personnaly think they can beat Samoa and Fiji, maybe not everytime but they absolutely can. 

When i see people spewing their hate on a team just because they hate Frenchmen... come on man, they're just an emerging side. They're not the 4th nation, we're okay on that point, but... they're not "GARBAGE", watch your language man... That's pretty awful to say "theyre just garbage"... they're men, they're rugby league players and they love the game... yet they are garbage to you... 

I agree with you that they can beat Samoa. I was at the game at Perpignan a the score did them no justice at all. They had a try disallows by the video ref for  no apparent reason. In one of the numerous late hits on their halfbacks by the samoans, he got a grubber into the dead ball area and two French players, with no Samoan in sight both managed to try to touch to down  and got in each others way. In another instance, a French player about 15 yards out from the Samoan line ignored a clear unapposed two man overlap but was still only stopped about 2 inches short of scoring.

in addition the Samoans brutal, super late hits on the French halfbacks took out their playmakers, the scrum half being taken off, and should have resulted in a sending off if not two. The Samoan/NZ ref Penara was very biased.  The French defence, not one of their redeeming qualities, also stood strong all night against some fiercesome Samoan forward rushes which had even troubled the New Zealanders.

The French could well have won that game. I went expecting the worse after their game against New Zealand but thought they gave a very good and encouraging account of themselves on the night. The patriotism of the French crowd and the support they gave their team was also impressive. I think they have the basis of a half decent team. They also made England work hard for their win the  quarter final although the result was never in doubt.