Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Roby

English Moving Abroad

39 posts in this topic

On the back of some of our best performers in this World Cup being based in Australia, why do you think a lot of our best players (Burgess brothers, Sam Tomkins etc..) have tended to move overseas in recent years? And why do people like Josh Charnley decide against moving over there?

Also, why do you think the younger players such as Jordan Baldwinson from Leeds go overseas when they have less chance of getting game time? Is it the money? Standard of play over there? Or even a lack of depth within young and developing Australians (so teams over there have to bring players over)?

Do you think this trend of players leaving Super League will stop any time soon?

I'd be interested to hear what you all think.

They go for the money, lifestyle and playing in the best league, as for players like Tonks and baldwinson going why not its an experience of a lifetime.

Maybe they want to see what life was like in the mid 80s, that where Australia is in terms of cultures, technology and business.

The established British stars will be courted because the Australian clubs finally realise we can play Rugby.

The youngsters - well what better time to have a great adventure, when you're young, short on commitments and most likely without wife and kids to relocate in job and school? And, if they make it in the NRL, they stand a good chance of playing for their country whether theystay there or come home.

Maybe they want to see what life was like in the mid 80s, that where Australia is in terms of cultures, technology and business.

Do you think?

I Could say that about English Rugby League as an example but that would not be true would it.

For a backward country still in the eighties they seem to be doing ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

;)

Way back in the anal's of time, after GB's successful 1970 Ashes and 1972 WC there was quite an exodus of high profile prominent British players to Australia, subsequently the ARL decided that this influx of Oversea's stars were stifling the opportunities of their homegrown talent and in 75/76 put a ban on further transactions for a number of years.

What chance of a repeat ruling by the NRL, or is that Rugby League is that popular now in Aus in terms of participation that it no longer matters? 

Back in the anal's of time?

Whoop's missed a "n", well spotted that man.  

Back in the anal's of time?

I thought one Danny Kirmond thread was enough.

Unless you can't bear to be away from your mum and dad, why on earth wouldn't you take up the opportunity to play rugby league in Oz for a year or two. What a life experience that would be.

Unless you can't bear to be away from your mum and dad, why on earth wouldn't you take up the opportunity to play rugby league in Oz for a year or two. What a life experience that would be.

I've spent three months in Australia and although it is a fascinating place - for weird wildlife alone it is worth the visit - you really do feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.  12,000 miles is a long way to go to get away from your friends and family!

James Roby has just re-signed with Saints for five years, ie the rest of his career and that was in spite of being courted by a couple of NRL clubs recently.  If people are happy where they are why would they want to change places?

If people are happy where they are why would they want to change places?

Ambition.

Ambition.

But that would suggest that such people are not actually happy in the place they find themselves wouldn't it?

But that would suggest that such people are not actually happy in the place they find themselves wouldn't it?

Nope.  It would suggest that they know they could be happier.

here we go...

I've spent three months in Australia and although it is a fascinating place - for weird wildlife alone it is worth the visit - you really do feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.  12,000 miles is a long way to go to get away from your friends and family!

James Roby has just re-signed with Saints for five years, ie the rest of his career and that was in spite of being courted by a couple of NRL clubs recently.  If people are happy where they are why would they want to change places?

People are different. Some people go on holiday to the same place year after year becaus they like it. Some go somewhere different each year because they haven't been before.

It's horses for courses, but if you're a lad in your 20s and like to see a bit of the world, what an opportunity it would be to go to Oz and play rugby league for a year or so.

People are different. Some people go on holiday to the same place year after year becaus they like it. Some go somewhere different each year because they haven't been before.

It's horses for courses, but if you're a lad in your 20s and like to see a bit of the world, what an opportunity it would be to go to Oz and play rugby league for a year or so.

Yep.  But others can see the world by going on holiday rather than uprooting themselves and their families and leaving behind their family and friends.  As you say, horses for courses.

I tried to insert the CGD quote, (anal's / annal's) but for some reason I couldn't.  Damn this sorcery that is the interweb!!

Yep.  But others can see the world by going on holiday rather than uprooting themselves and their families and leaving behind their family and friends.  As you say, horses for courses.

I know, I know. If only Charlie (Darwin and Boorman) , Frankie Drake, John Smith, Matty Flinders etc had stayed at home in the bosoms of their families...sure they eventually returned though in this day and age with Skype, non-stop flights to and from Aus etc, getting there and coming back are well nigh impossible.

Of course, to each to their own...The Burgesses do it one way, the Newloves another.  

I moved to Aus seven years ago - cant believe it was that long ago! - simply for the experience of trying something new. But then again I never stayed in one city in the UK more than three years.

I like to travel, broaden my horizons and try different things, simply because I can. And I'm sure if I was a young RL player I'd move overseas in a heartbeat if I had the chance. For the simple reason, why not?

But then, interestingly, RL players traditionally come from towns where people don't move around much. I've read of players from Yorks getting homesick when they move to Lancs, for example, and as for moving down to that there London.....jaysus.....so I guess, for those types of people, who don't even like moving 30 miles down the road, uprooting their life to the other side of the world would be an absolute no-no

dave taylor got "homesick" when he moved to sydney from brisbane...so did ben hannett