Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Monkey

Crown Flatt ground improvements

32 posts in this topic

Thanks Geoff, I think Harry Edgar, as editor, should have shortened it a bit as it was a bit lengthy.

(I went down Newtown pit when I was about 12-13 on  a school trip (Crommy boys) as part of our history lesson showing how coal mining played such a major part in the Industrial Revolution - I think both my granddads worked at the "Sheff" at the start of the 20[/size]th century)

On a different subject, in that issue of RLJ there was an article on "hardmen". Conspicuously missing was any reference to our own hard man, George Parkinson!Good issue for the Lions though in spite of that oversight.

I think Spelly would turn crimson at the comment that Super League forwards are more cyclist than footballers!

On a different subject, in that issue of RLJ there was an article on "hardmen". Conspicuously missing was any reference to our own hard man, George Parkinson! Good issue for the Lions though in spite of that oversight.

I think Spelly would turn crimson at the comment that Super League forwards are more cyclist than footballers!

Yes, the same entered my head about our 'hard man', 'Parky'. Think I'll drop RLJ a short message mentioning George 'hard-as-nails' Parkinson.

Here's a question (hypothetical?). Just supposing our beloved Station Road was still up and running but burdened with a new name for 'sponsorship purposes' called perhaps the McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium.

So, would YOU now call it the "McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium" or be like me, an old-stick-in-the mud, and still called by its 'silly' and 'old fashioned' name of Station Road?

Don't worry Keith. With Asda soon opening on the precinct car park, the Morrisons will become defunct and we can buy up B&Q and Aldi as well to build Station Road II.

Here's a question (hypothetical?). Just supposing our beloved Station Road was still up and running but burdened with a new name for 'sponsorship purposes' called perhaps the McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium.

So, would YOU now call it the "McDonald's on-the-Top-Road stadium" or be like me, an old-stick-in-the mud, and still called by its 'silly' and 'old fashioned' name of Station Road?

Don't worry Keith. With Asda soon opening on the precinct car park, the Morrisons will become defunct and we can buy up B&Q and Aldi as well to build Station Road II.

There's $290,000,000 lottery prize up for grabs here Friday night so.....

I screwed that quote up didn't I?

There's a $290,000,000 lottery prize up for grabs here Friday night so.... "New Station Road sponsored by Geoff", anyone?

I have two tickets.

Wish me luck!

Geoff

I screwed that quote up didn't I?

There's a $290,000,000 lottery prize up for grabs here Friday night so.... "New Station Road sponsored by Geoff", anyone?

I have two tickets.

Wish me luck!

Geoff

Bonne chance Geoff

A bad case of the Norman Colliers there, Keith!

Cannot but agree w.r.t. naming rights on stadiums. Its only properly effective if the deal is done before the stadium opens and runs for a decent few years at least (eg Reebok, Emirates, Halliwell Jones, Britannia).

As for renaming long established grounds for a year or two - its just not effective as a marketing ploy for the reasons you refer to.

The move to out-of-town stadiums that has really taken hold since the 80's is something I lament. Its made sport a peripheral activity, rather than being an integral part of urban life.

The loss of Central Park was a particularly sad episode.

Sorry, but how "Out of town" IS the Halliwell Jones? or even Langtree Park, or even the KC?

Ah we're back to your favourite subject, Salford again.