Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Bradford Bulls - not sounding good

955 posts in this topic

Not a chance for me. There are 8,563 reasons at £20 a head to avoid putting the club into Championship One. As we know from another thread none of them will go to Fartown.

That's not accurate though is it? That figure indicates a total of £2.2M (approx) coming in every season purely in gate money - this clearly is not the case.

from what i have rad it is a case of spending money they haven't got once again, still i would like widnes to take over dale ferguson and gareth carvells contracts...

Not a chance for me. There are 8,563 reasons at £20 a head to avoid putting the club into Championship One. As we know from another thread none of them will go to Fartown.

Jeez - those kids and concessions pay well over the odds in Bradford.

Yes. I was very sceptical last time around but thought that they might be telling the truth and in any case the clubs survival was more important than any misgivings we might have. But how are we meant to accept that *this* time its really a new start? Last time round I was for dropping down a division. I wish we had done that then but definitely should now. I will support an honest Bulls in the pennine league but not a dishonest one winning trophies.

For what it's worth this time I do think they are telling the truth about the previous regime , but that doesn't mean I should have any confidence moving forward. For a few months I have thought we were on our last roll of the dice in Super League, but this pretty much confirms it. I would put money on us being relegated this year

I'm going to move into full-on RFL-bashing mode in a minute.

I'm going to move into full-on RFL-bashing mode in a minute.

Before you do, its worth mentioning the millions wasted on London first. ;)

Edit to stick a smiley on just in case. ..

And a million plus into Odslum, don't forget.

If only they'd spent that money on Dewsbury / Swinton / Keighley / etc instead. Then we'd be beating the Aussies.

We'll probably limp through next season, just like the last. It seems my prediction for a bolt from the blue was a bit premature.

As for the board, to me they're just another set of suits sitting at the top table, I don't trust them anymore or less than the last lot, or the lot before that.

I've paid for a season ticket, so if I get 13 home games in 2014 I've recieved what I've paid for and that's about it as far as fans go.

Limp? We can only dream of that. More like stood still with a crutch, while the toffs from Leeds mock and throw coins. Wearing jumpers like the coppers during the miners strike of 84.

Bah.

Absolutely wasted.  We shouldn't ever try to get ideas above our station.

We'll probably limp through next season, just like the last. It seems my prediction for a bolt from the blue was a bit premature.

As for the board, to me they're just another set of suits sitting at the top table, I don't trust them anymore or less than the last lot, or the lot before that.

I've paid for a season ticket, so if I get 13 home games in 2014 I've recieved what I've paid for and that's about it as far as fans go.

I've never been a fan of Bradford and how they've been run over the last decade but the new lot seem to at least have honesty to their credit.  As with most situations, a frank exposure of the uncomfortable truth rather than perpetual drip-fed bad news is a far better scenario for everyone, it allows people to look at the situation and either address it or move on.  The other benefit is that it's still off-season, hopefully at least plasters will be openly in place to address the points raised yesterday before the season kicks off.  A tough season of living well within their means and hoping they evade the compulsory relegation at the end of 2014.  As they said, they'll be getting their full RFL funding again for the 2015 season along with, hopefully, renewed other income sources.

Bradford fixing their problems is probably entirely in their own hands, a completely different scenario to London who are hoping for an external miracle.

If that was the case they wouldn't be in a mess £2.2m + at the gate plus sponsorships, merchandise, food/drink and sky money would see them through a £2.64m wage bill, a would bet the average per head would be nearer £10 + vat

Laws of nature must start to apply to RL for it to prosper by shaking out complacency

Totally agree about the old stadiums and teams struggling, this theory holds up in all sports, its like just throwing money away.

If that was the case they wouldn't be in a mess £2.2m + at the gate plus sponsorships, merchandise, food/drink and sky money would see them through a £2.64m wage bill, a would bet the average per head would be nearer £10 + vat

I'll go with your £10 a head, but it really was not the point. The suggestion was for them to start again in CC1 and IMVHO Bulls and the game need to try to keep as many fans on board as possible.

Anyway on £10 a head 5,000 crowds we get £650K add SKY money £1.2M = well short of £2M. I still have my suspicions about the fans costings for Leigh or any like club to be able to afford SL....Back to Bradford...

I'll go with your £10 a head, but it really was not the point. The suggestion was for them to start again in CC1 and IMVHO Bulls and the game need to try to keep as many fans on board as possible.

Anyway on £10 a head 5,000 crowds we get £650K add SKY money £1.2M = well short of £2M. I still have my suspicions about the fans costings for Leigh or any like club to be able to afford SL....Back to Bradford...

Can Hudds afford SL without Davy? Less than 50% of Leighs 2014 income will be from gate money, and that's with only £90k from rfl funds btw, I am sure Fev and Fax will be similar

You are correct about keeping fans on board, the current system doesn't do that does it.

Well, you can't say it's boring being a Bull can you.  I can tolerate a little bit of incompetence if the intentions and commitment are solid, but that seems not to have been the case with OK and Whitcut.  I particularly don't like the sound of these undeclared loans and RW allegedly selling Bateman to the Pies without telling anyone as the door closed behind him.  You rarely get full value when acting in haste, or spite for that matter.

What I really want now is a statement from OK responding to what was revealed at the meeting last night.  He was feted at Odsal as the saviour (small 's'), and he accepted the mantle and revelled in it.  If he's taken all that was given to him on false pretences then shame on him.

At the moment the only person running the club that I trust is Robbie.  That's not to say the new board are untrustworthy, but that their starting point is sadly coloured by those that have gone before.

On the playing side I would expect some casualties but probably not as many as people are suggesting.  The board did say that the playing staff budget was ring-fenced from cuts, although it's clear that they will take up opportunities to reduce it if they materialise.  What they do need to be careful of is being uncompetitive on the field.  At the moment that's all that remains for the fans, it's the one remaining keystone, and they should bear that in mind very carefully before off-loading players like Sammut and BK.

Unless I've got it very wrong, Peter Hood's action of selling the Odsal lease to the RFL is looking like a masterstroke at the moment.  And so I'm guessing that this gives us a better than even chance of survival.

Can Hudds afford SL without Davy? Less than 50% of Leighs 2014 income will be from gate money, and that's with only £90k from rfl funds btw, I am sure Fev and Fax will be similar

You are correct about keeping fans on board, the current system doesn't do that does it.

My honest answer to the Hudd's thing is IMO no, whether they will in the near future Who knows, I am privy to no info.

I don't know how it would be do-able but i would like to see SL step in  some form to help sort the Bradford thing, One thing they really need to do as far as i can see, is get away from Odsal, I don't dislike it but it must cost a mint to run. The thing with the Bulls is , you don't have to go back decades to find their success, All those Fans are not that long gone.

As someone has said CC clubs with ambition take note, SL is a whole different ball game financially.

The new ground thing is a very good case in point.

In the round ball game, almost every club that has gone that route in recent years has prospered. I'll use Rotherham as the most recent example, playing out of town, at DVS, we got crowds scraping 3 - 3500 and just about survived on that plus the scant commercial income. Prior to that, we'd been in a dump of a stadium, paying exorbitant rent and spending loads on upkeep, with little commercial income.

Since the new ground has been built, crowds have doubled, there's been a HUGE increase in commercial income and there's been a promotion. Even with lesser results due to that promotion, and higher ticket prices, crowds have held up.

OK, this has been possible due to a new owner in part and much better management from the new directors. So all any club needs is a sugar daddy then surely? Nope, it needs the right one, and the drive to make it happen.

As Snellins have shown, a new stadium works wonders. Punters have come to expect decent stadia now, decent clean facilities plus a half decent team to watch. It's a combination that's needed, and Odsal, bless it, probably isn't up to the job.

There is no doubt that Odsal is a millstone around the clubs neck, but I don’t think the “get a new stadium” solution would solve the problems we are in. (Bear in mind during the cheap season ticket year people weren’t so bothered about the facilities, the team on the pitch and the club itself has a lot to answer for in that regard, not that a new stadium wouldn’t help)

The most realistic option is to move to Valley Parade – which I can see happening if I'm honest, but not anytime in the next couple of years – but boost crowds is the last thing it’ll do. There are plenty of folk who cut their nose off to spite their face last time we went there and that was when we were the best club team in the world. In some ways I don’t think our crowds have ever been the same since that move. I don’t say I agree with people who hold this view, but the fact is it exists so the business would have to bare that in mind. I think a move to Valley Parade at this moment in time would be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for a lot of fans though.

The other options are to redevelop Odsal, which has been on the cards whilst both my parents and grandparents have supported the club, or a new stadium elsewhere in Bradford. Where exactly, answers on a postcard please…

With that in mind, the club will have to do the best they have with Odsal as it is currently, especially with it being under RFL control