Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Whitley

Ryan Hall off the field

35 posts in this topic

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, we had amazing feedback on our Off The Field interview with Ben Westwood last week. We've therefore made it into a regular feature.

Here's the latest one, which was printed in Monday's League Express, with Leeds winger Ryan Hall: http://www.totalrl.com/web/ryan-hall-leeds-rhinos-winger-rugby-league-interview/

I found it very surprising to discover Hall listens to Eva Cassidy and plays the piano. I loved imagining Westwood and Burgess chokeslamming each other at the pool, too. Hope you all enjoy it.

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, 

Wow, you're really a student of the Martyn Sadler School of accepting criticism.

i'm actually ok with these as an off-season thing, we need more characters in the game.

Wow, you're really a student of the Martyn Sadler School of accepting criticism.

i'm actually ok with these as an off-season thing, we need more characters in the game.

I've never accused you of being boring.

Although two or three over-critical bores on here tried to rubbish it, we had amazing feedback on our Off The Field interview with Ben Westwood last week. We've therefore made it into a regular feature.

Here's the latest one, which was printed in Monday's League Express, with Leeds winger Ryan Hall: http://www.totalrl.com/web/ryan-hall-leeds-rhinos-winger-rugby-league-interview/

I found it very surprising to discover Hall listens to Eva Cassidy and plays the piano. I loved imagining Westwood and Burgess chokeslamming each other at the pool, too. Hope you all enjoy it.

May as well as add me to the bores as well, what a load of adolescent tripe, expect you swapped Top Trumps and discussed who was your favourite Power Rangers as well.

C'mon Joe, it's mostly adults who visit this site.

I don't mind fun articles but these 2 articles  haven't really added anything to our understanding of professional sportsmen, what drives them, what influences they have.

I agree the questions are very much the sort aimed at teenagers. Favourite colour? really?

I've enjoyed both interviews. RL fans whinge about EVERYTHING to do with Rugby League and it's a great sport. So if they're whinging about the interviews then they must be good too. One thing in life I will never understand is why we as fans have to complain as much?

It's just a bit of fun. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but what is?

May as well as add me to the bores as well, what a load of adolescent tripe, expect you swapped Top Trumps and discussed who was your favourite Power Rangers as well.

C'mon Joe, it's mostly adults who visit this site.

What a lovely chap you are!

It's just a bit of fun. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but what is?

Exactly, it doesn't always have to be in-depth analysis, what's wrong with something a bit off-topic?

I've enjoyed both interviews. RL fans whinge about EVERYTHING to do with Rugby League and it's a great sport. So if they're whinging about the interviews then they must be good too. One thing in life I will never understand is why we as fans have to complain as much?

I've been wondering that, too, Dave.

Not everything has to be grim hard-hitting stories, a bit of levity now and then is fine

Not getting your five daily portions of relentless negativity will give you scurvy, mind. ;) 

Not everything has to be grim hard-hitting stories, a bit of levity now and then is fine

Exactly, Brooza. Thanks for that.

Are the questions sent to them and they respond to them all at once or is it done in person (or over the phone etc)? For future ones it would be nice to see a follow up to some of the questions, for example, I'm interested to know what piano piece he's learning to play

i like them. Not everything has to bee so serious.

Personally i get bored of the identikit interviews - for example when a player joins a new club.

As much as Im cynical about Koukash - his interviews are worth reading/listen to.

Joe you have my backing all the way.

I like a bit of absract.  An important point being overlooked by those criticising is that if you get a bit of an insight into someone's personality (and it's a good one) you are more likley to want to support them.  Like it or not, supporting sports stars isn't just about what they do on the field.

I like a bit of absract.  An important point being overlooked by those criticising is that if you get a bit of an insight into someone's personality (and it's a good one) you are more likley to want to support them.  Like it or not, supporting sports stars isn't just about what they do on the field.

And you build up empathy with them.

I happen to be a great fan of Eva Cassidy's music.

It's very interesting, for me at least, to discover that Ryan Hall is too.

GaryO and Red Willow are obviously profound thinkers who probably restrict their reading to War and Peace and Plato's Republic.

But for the rest of us, who sometimes like to relax a little, a light-hearted interview with a well-known player is just what the doctor ordered.

Not getting your five daily portions of relentless negativity will give you scurvy, mind. ;)

That's outdated thinking.  Rugby league folk need a healthy portion of shoulder chip along with the relentless negativity in order to function to a basic standard.  For peak efficiency, regular doses of unwarranted paranoia and bitterness do wonders for the joints.

And you build up empathy with them.

I happen to be a great fan of Eva Cassidy's music.

It's very interesting, for me at least, to discover that Ryan Hall is too.

GaryO and Red Willow are obviously profound thinkers who probably restrict their reading to War and Peace and Plato's Republic.

But for the rest of us, who sometimes like to relax a little, a light-hearted interview with a well-known player is just what the doctor ordered.

Actually Martin I am just partaking in a academical paper relating to the hemispherical structures of the brain, quite an eye opener how various like minded people are catagorised.

Ryan Hall is a very interesting and talented young man, with Tomkins now gone he gets my nomination as Super League's figurehead. 

Are the questions sent to them and they respond to them all at once or is it done in person (or over the phone etc)? For future ones it would be nice to see a follow up to some of the questions, for example, I'm interested to know what piano piece he's learning to play

It's done over the phone, Brooza, and there are always follow-ups. Not all of them make the cut though as we have a word count to adhere to. Perhaps I'll start publishing the full transcripts online. Good idea.

i like them. Not everything has to bee so serious.

Personally i get bored of the identikit interviews - for example when a player joins a new club.

As much as Im cynical about Koukash - his interviews are worth reading/listen to.

Thanks Dave. That was what I was trying to get away from with the introduction of these. I realise some of the questions are ridiculously basic but it's all stuff I want to know about the top players and I find it very refreshing to read alongside the hard-hitting transfer stuff.

Thanks Tonka, that is certainly the intention and I'm glad you've seen that.

Ryan Hall is a very interesting and talented young man, with Tomkins now gone he gets my nomination as Super League's figurehead. 

Ryan you wag :-)

Very interesting interview, enjoyed reading thank you. Can you do Danny Kirmond next? :)