Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

wtf....league v union

173 posts in this topic

In reality does anyone want to see this? The wallabies are leaking cash and cant generate NRL sized money down under and the RFL needs money to keep clubs afloat. The All Blacks against the Kangaroos anyone? How about the Washington Redskins v Melbourne Storm?

In reality does anyone want to see this? The All Blacks against the Kangaroos anyone? How about the Washington Redskins v Melbourne Storm?

Yes.

Yes.

Maybe.

Its a bit silly - GB would look poor on the line out and scrum and the Wallabies would look silly trying to stop Jammer and Sam, and probably even Rob Burrow. Penalties everywhere as the players try to keep to the rules and fail. Grinding mauls and penalty fests to stop the league boys wearing the union boys out too early, been done before, wasn't good telly, wasn't a good event, I recall reading about this type of hybrid and its a waste of a good off season

Last time a one half each game was played it was Sale and Saints, Sale walked it in Union using a maul tactic and Saints blew them away second half - pointless - different games now and should be treated as such - a hybrid does nothing for anyone

Its a bit silly - GB would look poor on the line out and scrum 

You've never seen the Wallabies scrummage I think GB might have the edge here.

Bob Dwyer has been pushing for a hybrid game this last two years, he as peddled his idea up hill and down dale.

Well I hope he fails again...

Think it's a joke but I have always wondered why England union v league didn't happen. If league won it would work wonders in shutting up the haters plus earn a huge payday. The gamble would be that if they lost badly the credibility of league would be destroyed. RFL may need the cash to save/run the London club. Maybe it could happen

I'm sorry but this is a terrible idea and one that makes no sense for us.

It's a no-win situation for us. If we win then it is was pointless exercise that proves nothing, if we lose then it is proof that Union has surpassed us and is now the code with the superior skills.

When these happened in the mid 90's it was a novelty and one that made us feel good about ourselves because we were far superior at the core rugby skills, largely because we were full-time and they weren't. Even though we like to think we are still far superior, this is not necessarily the case.

The Sale-Saints game was a wake up call that we shouldn't be doing these anymore. It is now weighted in the Union side's favour. Sale easily won their half because they were able to use the aspects of their game that they are naturally dominant in like mauling, ruckling, lineouts etc. However, Saints struggled for a while against Sale because Sale were now a full-time outfit that spent a lot of time passing, tackling and running. It was only a flurry of late tries that spared Saints' blushes. IIRC it was something like 41-12 with about 20 minutes left. All it would have taken was an off-day with the ball in hand and Saints would have been embarrassed. I suspect England RL could easily be embarrassed by a Wallabies side that are fast, able to tackle and pass whilst England RL have no ability to scrum, line-out, ruck or maul.

I'd still be against it, but England vs England or Wallabies vs Kangaroos would at least have made sense. Instead we have the 3rd best RL nation against the 3rd best RU nation.

If any of this is true then Woods should be run out of town.

I can't believe that the best we can come up with following the World Cup to bring in some cash on the back of it, is this.

Woods, if this is true, is showing himself to be a real ideas man, unfortunately its no ideas.

If any of this is true then Woods should be run out of town.

I can't believe that the best we can come up with following the World Cup to bring in some cash on the back of it, is this.

Woods, if this is true, is showing himself to be a real ideas man, unfortunately its no ideas.

It shows he's a gimmick-obsessed showman.

Got a problem with the league but can't be bothered with sorting out the root problems: 3x8!

Have an international set-up that's going to take some thinking about how to build effectively: forget it, cross-code against the Wallabies!

It shows he's a gimmick-obsessed showman.

Got a problem with the league but can't be bothered with sorting out the root problems: 3x8!

Have an international set-up that's going to take some thinking about how to build effectively: forget it, cross-code against the Wallabies!

If this is true then it does massively undermine Wood's 3x8 proposal. Many would think that this is a sensible idea but the cross-code venture would prove that he is a fan of gimmicks and wacky ideas.

Something many of us have suspected the 3x8 proposal to be.

Bob Dwyer has been pushing for a hybrid game this last two years, he as peddled his idea up hill and down dale.

Bob Dwyer and a few rugby league greats have been pushing this cross codes games for over five years now. Stupid idea.

Just for fun ;) And it does look rather good, doesn't it?!

15. Matty Russell

14. Josh Charnley

13. Ryan Atkins

12. Kallum Watkins

11. Ryan Hall

10. Stefan Ratchford

9. Danny Brough

8. Sam Burgess

7. Ben Flower

6. Gil Dudson

5. Adam Lawton

4. Eorl Crabtree

3. George Burgess

2. Gareth Carvell

1. Michael McIlorum

Subs: Tom Burgess, Alex Walmsley, Chris Hill, Andy Powell (if he isn't AWOL), Ben Westwood, Sam Tomkins, Kyle Eastmond (because he'll be back by then)

The thing is, I would have no problem believing the RFL when they flatly deny something except that they are not exactly open about anything really.  The best we generally get is spin.  So I have to 'fess to not being fully convinced of their denial.  The problem, I suppose, is that I can actually see the RFL proposing something as ridiculous as a cross code game at Wembley.

The thing is, I would have no problem believing the RFL when they flatly deny something except that they are not exactly open about anything really.  The best we generally get is spin.  So I have to 'fess to not being fully convinced of their denial.  The problem, I suppose, is that I can actually see the RFL proposing something as ridiculous as a cross code game at Wembley.

I can't.

Don't think they have the time, money or inclination to stage such an event. If someone else rocks up and offers the RFL £3m for playing in the match, I can see them considering it!

the RFL actually has a fairly healthy bank balance...and £3m isn't enough given the damage it will do to RL...

OK just a thought so don't shoot me ,but with this hybrid game looking a strong possibility and with English Union Clubs not having any European comp next year and BT sport already paying millions for it, is it possible BT Sport might look toward League for some kind of Hybrid Cup or even in a Armageddon Senario throw hundreds of millions of pounds at rugby league clubs and players to get them to "Defect" and create a bigger English club union comp, is this possible ??

Union mob would win the union half, and we would win the league half. Unless it was a mix of rules, in which case I can't see many RL fans buying into it. Lets face it, a large portion of RL fans won't go to Wembley to watch RL, let alone this proposed hybrid game!

The only people to benefit from this would be the ARU, and quite possibly the RFU. The RFL might get a nice chunk of money out if it, but what good is that if RU start chasing our star players after seeing them rip the ARU players to shreds? And should the worst happen and the ARU players actually perform well against the RL players we'll have a PR disaster on our hands, and a PR coup for the RFU.

Leave this kind of ridiculous fixture alone. Concentrate on building up our own game rather than help line the pockets of rugby union and the ARU.

If this is true well then I ###### despair...

I'm do damn sick of this sport being so badly run, lacking an ounce of business acumen, nor any continuity whatsoever. It's just bad debt and gimmicks, bad debt and gimmicks.

And I've not actually been following the game or THAT long. I was not watching League ten years ago....

Oh and if BT Sport have $$$ to burn, then why don't they put in a bid for Super League or Chanpionship rights instead. You know: helping the sport and the sport will help your network.

What about the possibility that this is just a load of hot air but seems to be getting a fair bit of publicity in the off season for virtually no cost?

This is looking like a no go to me and it is definitely not the right option for us (yes I concede I'd be curious.) Instead of the petty rivalry though, why not have a double header Of ENGvsNZL League and Union?

The ground would be full

We'd get great publicity

Both games would be competitive

Any mutual would see would clearly see one was the improved version of the sport, but those already decide would get what they wanted.

The reasons are endless. Even have the studio filled with code switching "traitors." This would be a celebration of Physical, top quality, English sport. Thoughts?

The ARU are desperate for cash..... Really desperate. They are falling further and further behind in ghe oz spoting scene and now the RFL will be helping them compete.