Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

sprouts

51 posts in this topic

I love em

not trendily crunchy but nice and soft

not with chestnuts, bacon or any of that ####

not stir fried

not pureed

just boiled and not just at christmas

Sprout and pilchard sammich, lovelly with a dash of tabasco and worcester sauce.

Like them now, but hated them as a child.

Don't like them over cooked and mushy though, just boiled until beginning to soften but still green. Over cooked all the flavour and goodness ends up left in the water that you tip down the sink.

This love/hate of sprouts must be a north/south thing.

Supermarkets here in Coventry sell them for most of the year. I'm always amazed that people only have them at Christmas.

I hate 'em. I shouldn't since I sell parts for (among other things) sprout harvesters, but I still hate 'em.

Over cooked all the flavour and goodness ends up left in the water that you tip down the sink.

Don't tip it down the sink, the water from sprouts (or cabbage for that matter) is wonderful for gravy.

I like my sprouts steamed and served with roast chestnuts.

Don't tip it down the sink, the water from sprouts (or cabbage for that matter) is wonderful for gravy.

I've always understood that stock made with brassicas is unpalatable, so I've never tried. Might have to now.

I've always understood that stock made with brassicas is unpalatable, so I've never tried. Might have to now.

Quite the opposite, it makes lovely gravy. In fact, I read somewhere that the Royal Society of Chemistry did some tests and concluded that beef stock and cabbage water are the essential ingredients for a perfect gravy.

There's a difference between 'soft' and one boiled-to-death serving I experienced once, at my Grandparents' wedding anniversary party. I rested the back of my fork on a sprout... and it sank in! You could see it oozing between the tines.

There's a difference between 'soft' and one boiled-to-death serving I experienced once

I find steaming them helps avoid this.

Steam the little green beauties and then sautee them in butter with chopped chestnuts, hmmmmmmm nice

shred 'em and then fry 'em.

Wrong

Steam the little green beauties and then sautee them in butter with chopped chestnuts, hmmmmmmm nice

Wrong

Sprouts is sprouts and are not to be #### with

As the old joke goes, the only difference between sprouts and snot is that you can't get kids to eat sprouts!!

We've got our sprouts on the boil at this very moment. Should be just about done by Christmas Day!

Nope

Sprouts is sprouts and chestnuts is chestnuts

Stir frying makes them greasy

Here's my fool proof recipe

Boil some salted water in a pan

Put your sprouts into the boiling water

Turn the sprout laden water to simmer

When they are nice and soft drain the sprouts

Put them on your plate of dinner

Perhaps put some black pepper on

Enjoy

No bullshyte

No attempts to disguise the true flavour by putting foreign bodies like bacon and chestnuts to disguise the flavour which is delectable enough anyway