Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bearman

We need our own stadium

77 posts in this topic

I know it's been done on here before but...

After the success of the WC it got me wondering how much it costs to hire a stadium like Wembley or Old Trafford.

Taking into account the money we lose on catering etc it must have cost us a fair bit down the years.

That then brings up the question of location etc.

I know its a bit small at 45000 ( I'm sure it could be extended) but the Ricoh in Coventry could be had for a song. The ground is owned by Coventry Council and a local charity. Coventry City FC's owners SISU have been trying to position themselves so that they can get the ground for far less than its actual value and it wouldn't take much for the council to sell to someone else just to spite SISU who have been pretty obnoxious.

Incidentally the council claim they are making money at the ground and don't need " a third rate soccer club" ( a councillors view) they do ok from concerts and events.

So why would the council sell? Because they are not nor should be in the business of running a stadium.

I know it's been done on here before but...

After the success of the WC it got me wondering how much it costs to hire a stadium like Wembley or Old Trafford.

Taking into account the money we lose on catering etc it must have cost us a fair bit down the years.

That then brings up the question of location etc.

I know its a bit small at 45000 ( I'm sure it could be extended) but the Ricoh in Coventry could be had for a song. The ground is owned by Coventry Council and a local charity. Coventry City FC's owners SISU have been trying to position themselves so that they can get the ground for far less than its actual value and it wouldn't take much for the council to sell to someone else just to spite SISU who have been pretty obnoxious.

Incidentally the council claim they are making money at the ground and don't need " a third rate soccer club" ( a councillors view) they do ok from concerts and events.

So why would the council sell? Because they are not nor should be in the business of running a stadium.

The capacity of the Ricoh Arena is nowhere near 45,000. Not even 35,000.

A stadium for RL and only RL would be nice, but also pretty costly.

for it to be worthwhile there has to be other uses for the stadium even twickers hosts rock concerts

even if the RFL were to be able to build or acquire a stadium it is doubtful whether it would be viable because the market place is so crowded with modern venues already

It doesn't seem to be a popular view but I believe that RL would benefit from having its own stadium.

It doesn't seem to be a popular view but I believe that RL would benefit from having its own stadium.

I'd like to see it happen

my only issue is with its viability

Getting the right stadium in the right location would be near on impossible unfortunately. It would be nice to have a stadium we could call "home" though.

I'd like to see it happen

my only issue is with its viability

It might not be straightforward but if the will was there. ...especially if there was a stadium actually built already. As for money, endlessly paying football grounds to use their stadia must also be a drain on resources.

It might not be straightforward but if the will was there. ...especially if there was a stadium actually built already. As for money, endlessly paying football grounds to use their stadia must also be a drain on resources.

I cant deny I got a bit excited by Bearman's post: his argument was very persuasive

Build it in West Cumbria then the county's SL franchise can play there. Two birds, one stone. Sorted.

the only way it could work is if the ground was pretty central to a lot of super league teams and could be used pretty much like they use grounds in Sydney for playing a game of the week there as well as other big games because with only 2 or 3 internationals a year and the odd cup final  it woud be vastly underused

so either somewere in the west lancs area around wigan/warrington/widnes or st Helens area   or in west Yorkshire  possibly near wakefield  close to the motorways

<SNIP>

Same goes for the RFL doesn't it?

odsal is a nightmare to get to for a big game 

odsal is a nightmare to get to

Edited for accuracy

Maybe we could buy the Ricoh, and relocate the Broncos there

fair enough...

another option would be to chip some money in with a football club when they build a new stadium....

everton are likely bedfellows imo.....give them x amount of millions towards the build costs and we get free use,(catering,boxes etc), of the stadium so many times a year...play magic there,double header challange cup semis & a test...

Edited for accuracy

Maybe we could buy the Ricoh, and relocate the Broncos there

coventry bears......

Build it in West Cumbria then the county's SL franchise can play there. Two birds, one stone. Sorted.

Blackpool, is my choice, hotels easy access, entertaiment, heartland location.

I would have liked to see Leeds work with the soccer club to ground share, Leeds is easy to access and is steeped in RL

The pitch quality available and the seasons would make this very workable, a 60k home in Leeds would be a great base for RL and we could sell red hall too

I would have liked to see Leeds work with the soccer club to ground share, Leeds is easy to access and is steeped in RL

The pitch quality available and the seasons would make this very workable, a 60k home in Leeds would be a great base for RL and we could sell red hall too

we dont own red hall

The only way it could possibly be financially viable would be to move every RL event there.

I prefer the way it is now challenge cup in London, grand final in Manchester and internationals where we like.

Blackpool, is my choice, hotels easy access, entertaiment, heartland location.

i was talking to a old fella in a pub a few years ago and he was telling me how the RFL,back in the 40's/50's, gave serious thought to building a national RL stadium in blackpool...

theres no way leeds would move to south leeds to share with united  maybe a new ground off the m1  at garforth  but not south leeds