Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brooza

Thierry Alibert leaves RFL

19 posts in this topic

That's a shame. He's improved considerably in his time in SL and, at 42, there was still plenty of refereeing life left in him. No doubt this opportunity is too good to refuse.

I've always thought he was a good ref.

Pity Silverwood isn't a fluent French speaker.

Wasn't this the plan? Gain some experience in sl then go and spread the word?

I'll miss him.  Sure, he's had his bloopers (which ref hasn't?) but he also has a mind of his own and has added character to the refs since he's been in Superleague.

I hope he does well in his new job.  Good luck to him.

The Aussies complained that they couldn't understand his spoken English.

I though his spoken English was better than the Aussies!

Thierry is a real gentleman and treiziste.His contributions at the York and Lezignan 9s were superb.He will aid greatly rugby a treize en France.Merci et bonne chance mon ami.

I will miss him nutty warm ups !

I really enjoyed watching him as a referee.  Esoteric yes, eccentric ditto, but always wanted to make a flowing game of it if at all possible.  His shut out from the tip top international games was a great shame.  Hope to see his warm up routines at Elite games in the near future.

Shame. Made the odd blunder, but not an 'ego' (and we have a lot of them around at the moment) and not one who was easily swayed by the big crowds.

To be replaced with another monoglot ref with a barely comprehensible northern accent, no doubt.

Good luck to the guy for the future. Certainly not the worst ref to ever be involved in the game, I like his no nonsense style.

Met Thierry over there when doing a CC tie back in the early 2000s (he did the warm up game) and he asked why they didn't appoint a French ref to the game because I think he'd already done Wales v Cook Islands in the 2000 World Cup IIRC (any stattos know if that's right?). We took the idea back to the RFL and he came over later that season to do some games below SL. I certainly remember TJ for him at York, I think it was in his first club game over here.

As Lionel says, he is an absolute gent, impeccable manners and a genuinely nice fella.