Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

132 posts in this topic

Whereas, reported in this week's RL papers was that he was presently in discussions with the RFL about retaining his position as England head coach, possibly on a part-time basis.

I'll settle for McNamara heading to bath and Kyle eastmond comming back to league.

I'll settle for McNamara heading to bath and Kyle eastmond comming back to league.

I'll settle for McNamara heading to Bath

I've had a Twitter discussion with Chris Irvine since I last posted and he reckons he is breaking an actual story, as opposed to a total fabrication (in the case of the Union v League game), which will be in The Times tomorrow and will also include confirmation from the sporting bodies concerned.

Fair play to Steve for what he has done with the England set up but I don't think he'll be remembered as one of the great Rugby League coaches. Maybe he'll be more suited to Union

Personally think that it is a shame that RL has so few opportunities for coaches. Steve Mac should have opportunities to improve as a coach and build on his World Cup experience, instead he has to go to union to earn a crust and all his experience will be lost.

We will always struggle unless we get to the stage where each SL club has 4 or 5 coaching positions available.

I think he was out of his depth with England, but am still sad to see him go to union.

Shame. Hope he comes back to RL in the future

Personally think that it is a shame that RL has so few opportunities for coaches. Steve Mac should have opportunities to improve as a coach and build on his World Cup experience, instead he has to go to union to earn a crust and all his experience will be lost.

We will always struggle unless we get to the stage where each SL club has 4 or 5 coaching positions available.

That is spot on, there are just no pathways or incentives for coach from the bottom and now with Steve the top, as you say he should be kicking on from World Cup. I ain't his biggest fan but I'm a fan of stability, there has been an improvement and we are all talking again how good we were against New Zealand. Lets have stability and let the fella prepare for the next tournament. He is great at the planning and preparation, the national team need this.

I've had a Twitter discussion with Chris Irvine since I last posted and he reckons he is breaking an actual story, as opposed to a total fabrication (in the case of the Union v League game), which will be in The Times tomorrow and will also include confirmation from the sporting bodies concerned.

No-one will see it then.

No surprise to me, folk from Hull tend to have their annual bath during the festive season.

Whilst not over concerned about McNamara this general trend of coaches going to union is concerning.

Even at the lower level in my own area(Halifax) damien Ball and Jamie Bloem are coaching union teams.

No-one will see it then.

Well, except those who read the print version anyway! 

I see in today's paper that Bath's Director of Rugby has just left the club with immediate effect as a result of a restructuring of their coaching set up, about which more will be announced in due course.

I think it is a loss to our game as was that of Bath's present coach Mike Ford.

There is no structure whatsoever for up and coming coaches in RL in stark contrast with RU and this is something which the RFL should be addressing with urgency otherwise we can expect clubs to continue to be coached by a stream of second-rate Aussies.

unions loss is our gain...............

God help McNamaras replacement is all I can say, I give his replacement (if he def is going) 30seconds before people on here start slating him and the appointment.

It shows the state of RU coaches imo, that they need to recruit another guy who has never played the sport

I will confess to thinking the post related to some charity event when reading the headline

Jerry won't be best pleased

It shows the state of RU coaches imo, that they need to recruit another guy who has never played the sport

I will confess to thinking the post related to some charity event when reading the headline

There's a few trainers in both games who have never played the game before as well.

Does anyone else think this is McNamara scouting for someone new to keep Widdop out of the England side?

I'm appalled this has got to page-2 and there are no terrible bathroom related puns.

That's his career down the plughole then.......

Hope he doesn't get in any hot water ..............

First signing will be Hock to clean him up............