Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

132 posts in this topic

he jusy escaped being sacked by bradford and got the england gig cos nobody else wanted it, if bradford had sacked him he would probably be a bus driver by now.

No real loss. His tenure was mediocre at best. Whilst he had influence in a gallant WC semi final performance, the simple fact is that making the semi final was the absolute minimum to expect from a home campaign and upon reflection should be considered a disappointment given our historic form against the Kiwis on home soil. At the end of the day, over the last two months England played six matches and lost half of them, including one against a minnow - which just isn't good enough. Our history is littered with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against the Aussies, but now we seem to be lowering the bar to also include NZ, a team we have regularly beat in the past. Putting the courageous and embarrassing losses aside (Italy anyone?), beating only the likes of France, Ireland and Fiji hardly creates a robust indication of future success.

We should be aiming for better coaches with a more proven pedigree than McNamara - McDermott, Wane, Hanley and even Kear have far more decorated CVs than Steve.

We should be aiming for better coaches with a more proven pedigree than McNamara - McDermott, Wane, Hanley and even Kear have far more decorated CVs than Steve.

His CV should have nothing to do with how we have viewed his tenure as England coach. I have tried to refrain from entering these debates as too many people in my opinion are unable to change their prior conceptions and opinions on people. I personally didn't like McNamara's selection as England coach but he has changed my opinion. He inherited a pretty dire England set up and has fundamentally changed that and the playing style of the team. In 2011 and 2013, I have seen an England side that has defensively improved dramatically but has also severely trouble the Kiwis but more importantly the Australians in attack, getting outside both teams on the fringes and scoring consistently outwide. We haven't done that since the early 90s under Reilly. Yes, McNamara has made some mistakes both on and off the field in our opinions but it is plain to see that England have improved dramatically under him. Yes we may not have beaten the Aussies but we have a improved immeasurably. That is down to McNamara. Letting him go would be a poor decision as no doubt the next coach will be part-time, which will underdo much of the excellent work that has been achieved during the McNamara era.

Rant over... :)

His CV should have nothing to do with how we have viewed his tenure as England coach. I have tried to refrain from entering these debates as too many people in my opinion are unable to change their prior conceptions and opinions on people. I personally didn't like McNamara's selection as England coach but he has changed my opinion. He inherited a pretty dire England set up and has fundamentally changed that and the playing style of the team. In 2011 and 2013, I have seen an England side that has defensively improved dramatically but has also severely trouble the Kiwis but more importantly the Australians in attack, getting outside both teams on the fringes and scoring consistently outwide. We haven't done that since the early 90s under Reilly. Yes, McNamara has made some mistakes both on and off the field in our opinions but it is plain to see that England have improved dramatically under him. Yes we may not have beaten the Aussies but we have a improved immeasurably. That is down to McNamara. Letting him go would be a poor decision as no doubt the next coach will be part-time, which will underdo much of the excellent work that has been achieved during the McNamara era.

Well said. I would draw comparisons with Sir Bobby Robson and England.

-----------

Is the likely part-time nature of the role of the next coach due to financial reasons or the lack of a "proper" international calendar?

I think you indirectly hit the point, but give McNamara too much emphasis. Some improvement to the England set up has clearly resulted from having a full time coach, rather than part timers in the past. However don't kid yourself that the team are now somehow better on the back of two defeats and being the third best side. We were actually beating the Aussies on occasion not too long ago and beating NZ more often than not. We've also made finals in the not too distant past on home soil - for some reason we are lauding a semi final loss over a humiliation as runners up, whereas the semi final loss may have just spared us the same fate. It's a sad state of affairs when the situation that England are in is perceived as a successful tenure for the coach. We are the third best nation and we were knocked out by a side who were massively outclassed in the final and we lost to Australia at their most rusty. I get the feel good factor of the WC has put rose tinted spectacles on everything, but there is a need to be objective.

Don't get me wrong, McNamara wasn't awful, but neither did his coaching abilities shine. He was probably better than expected, but only because expectations were so low to start with.

Well I wish all the best. It can only help him develop as a coach and we need good English coaches.

Good luck to him. Glad he's staying in the game rather than going over to the dark side. Roosters and the NRL should be a good further education for him. Would like to see him keep the England post on a part time basis- he'll be close to half the likely team and there isn't exactly a packed program of international games on the horizon at the moment. Maybe if the International Board sort out a sensible program of games we would need a full time coach but until then.....

Good luck to him. Glad he's staying in the game rather than going over to the dark side. Roosters and the NRL should be a good further education for him. Would like to see him keep the England post on a part time basis- he'll be close to half the likely team and there isn't exactly a packed program of international games on the horizon at the moment. Maybe if the International Board sort out a sensible program of games we would need a full time coach but until then.....

Agreed. He's going to the Champion club, and if he can also act as a liaison person for England with the NRL-based players, that would be very useful.

Merged the '...to Bath' and '...'not off to Bath' threads to avoid further confusion.

Merged the '...to Bath' and '...'not off to Bath' threads to avoid further confusion.

How about McNamara prefers S(howe)RS to Bath's :)

Good luck to him. Trent Robinson seems to have a touch of magic as he showed when he took over the shambles left by Walters in France and latterly in Australia

If some of that rubs off and if retains some interest in the England set up then it could be beneficial.

Agreed. He's going to the Champion club, and if he can also act as a liaison person for England with the NRL-based players, that would be very useful.

took the words out my mouth.....

ive called for a england NRL liaison guy for a year now....and now we have a man over there and the players over there too to make it worth while...

2nd announcement tomorrow "Kevin Sinfield to captain Great Britain in 2015 tour and to captain England in 2018 world cup too"

It's what a lot of us on here predicted and a good outcome in my opinion.

The title of this thread is a little harsh. I am comfortable with McNamara staying on. They say you are only as good as your last performance and England were very very good.