Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Steve McNamara's next job (merged threads)

132 posts in this topic

So its now 43 years since our last success as a National team and judging by this terrible decision we now seem to be aiming to get further away than ever and are run, and the game populated by, timid, un-critical, jobs for the boys, sheep...

I wish I could get a spread bet on our next success because with the way things are going we are not going to have too much trouble getting to 100 years of failure...

I have now given up all hope of seeing a successful English/British national RL side in my lifetime...

At least Italy , the Exiles and Mr Chase will be happy...

So its now 43 years since our last success as a National team and judging by this terrible decision we now seem to be aiming to get further away than ever and are run, and the game populated by, timid, un-critical, jobs for the boys, sheep...

I wish I could get a spread bet on our next success because with the way things are going we are not going to have too much trouble getting to 100 years of failure...

I have now given up all hope of seeing a successful English/British national RL side in my lifetime...

At least Italy , the Exiles and Mr Chase will be happy...

Absolutely correct, and finishing 3rd is not success.

This was the best England/GB team in my lifetime playing a World Cup on home soil with talent all across the park, the team should've done better end of. 

It doesn't matter how exciting the NZ game was, losing is losing.

The title of this thread is a little harsh. I am comfortable with McNamara staying on. They say you are only as good as your last performance and England were very very good.

You are comfortable with losing and failure.....I am not.

Irvine will be unhappy...wrong on both counts!

Chuckles is not letting his personal disappointment shine through... no not at all....professional to the end....

mcnamara is staying on as england coach,part time...

now that is a shame I was hoping Barry Eaton would get it

half the england team and now the coach are in the NRL.....

whos looking after things here??

I am comfortable with a side made up almost entirely of players in their early 20s with a system that the players seem happy with. We have 8-10 players in the NRL now and a coach who is going to be working in the NRL. He should be on a 12-month rolling contract and let's see how the 2014 4N campaign goes. If we don't improve here then fair enough.

I am comfortable with a side made up almost entirely of players in their early 20s with a system that the players seem happy with. We have 8-10 players in the NRL now and a coach who is going to be working in the NRL. He should be on a 12-month rolling contract and let's see how the 2014 4N campaign goes. If we don't improve here then fair enough.

Those that think that sending players and coaches to the NRL will solve all the problems of England RL are nieve and sadly mistaken.

Those that think that sending players and coaches to the NRL will solve all the problems of England RL are nieve and sadly mistaken.

I am not saying that. I am saying that is where they are. What people seem to naively forget is that Edwards, Gregory, Schofield, Hanley, Offiah, Ward, Davies, Crooks, Connolly et al were also all NRL (ARL) players at the time GB were competing closely

No one that I know thinks that.  However, I feel we can learn more lessons, more understanding, more confidence, more experience of training and playing and winning at the highest level in this way. 

Ouch - England coach seen only as assistant coach material at an NRL club

Define failure?

At the end of the day we got beat closely by New Zealand and Australia both of whom have got current squads which could arguably be classed as the best of this century.

We didn't get outperformed in either game. It's test rugby at it's highest level, I honestly cannot see what McNamara could of done to stop the little things which happened which eventually cost us the game. Should he focused more on coaching Westwood, O Loughlin and Hall catching the rugby ball. Should he have worked all week on coaching George Burgess to tackle lower or coaching Sinfield not to dive out of the line on the last play of the match. These are things a national coach can do nothing about.

The game plan wad absolutely spot on against the Kiwis. McNamara couldn't of done anything about the little errors which occurred. If we had taken our chances we would of won between 12 - 18 points. Unfortunately we didn't that's test rugby, it doesnt mean it was a failure.

You'll probably start blaming McNamara for Whares piece of magic.

Losing is losing.....end of story.

No it isn't.

Define failure?

McNamara defined it himself during interview: failure was for England not to get to the world cup final.

Would the aussies have been happy if they just got to the semis? Would Tim Sheens still be in a job if they only reached the semis?

Would the aussies have been happy if they just got to the semis? Would Tim Sheens still be in a job if they only reached the semis?

Completely irrelevant. If we had Thurston Cronk Smith Slater and Inglis in our side the semi final exit would of been a failure. The fact is we didn't though.

Define failure?

At the end of the day we got beat closely by New Zealand and Australia both of whom have got current squads which could arguably be classed as the best of this century.

We didn't get outperformed in either game. It's test rugby at it's highest level, I honestly cannot see what McNamara could of done to stop the little things which happened which eventually cost us the game. Should he focused more on coaching Westwood, O Loughlin and Hall catching the rugby ball. Should he have worked all week on coaching George Burgess to tackle lower or coaching Sinfield not to dive out of the line on the last play of the match. These are things a national coach can do nothing about.

The game plan wad absolutely spot on against the Kiwis. McNamara couldn't of done anything about the little errors which occurred. If we had taken our chances we would of won between 12 - 18 points. Unfortunately we didn't that's test rugby, it doesnt mean it was a failure.

You'll probably start blaming McNamara for Whares piece of magic.

True. But the one thing that he did do that was entirely within his control was missmanage his bench, only playing 2 and a half of 4 at that level of intensity was criminal. Hopefully his spell in the NRL will condition him to not make such basic errors under pressure.

Does anyone seriously think he is capable of leaning anything in the NRL?

He selects on reputation and not on form, did it at Bradford and continued with that system as England coach.

The man simply can't coach, he couldn't at Bradford and couldn't for England.

I thought we'd got rid when he was announced at the Roosters, seems like we haven't.

Does anyone seriously think he is capable of leaning anything in the NRL?

He selects on reputation and not on form, did it at Bradford and continued with that system as England coach.

The man simply can't coach, he couldn't at Bradford and couldn't for England.

I thought we'd got rid when he was announced at the Roosters, seems like we haven't.

I'm not sure he is a bad coach. He is however very inexperienced. How long was he coach at Bradford? One season after two or three seasons with the juniors? Plus what, a dozen games or so for England. Not much time at all. Compare that with someone like Shaun Wayne at Wigan who had many years working his way up through the junior sides followed by two seasons as Madge's assistant.

Classic thread this, some claiming losing isn't failing,  some claiming if we had had players X Y Z we would have not been failures, If it keeps going long enough we may even have won the Cup.

There is one huge difference between the Aussies and us, If they don't win the cup they call that what it is "failure "  Since thats the objective i tend to agree with them, and they make sure it doesn't happen again in a hurry. If we regard not getting to the final as success, then you can';t have a better demonstration of the differences between them and us.

They may well have better Halves than us  but they don't have better Forwards, What they do have is a different attitude to us, They get knocked out in the Final and  there's Hell to pay, and changes are made . We get knocked out in the semi's and we talk about how well we did, and we console ourselves with thoughts that considering we didnt have this or that  we did ok.

That is basicly the difference, To them winning is winning ,Loseing is Failing, To us getting to a semi is doing OK, Winning is something we used to do, but don't expect anymore.