Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winnyason

the supposed french tv deal?

62 posts in this topic

Ok, so you wan't domestic French RL to get a TV deal but all you post were crowds from superleague and international games. Again your blaming French RL blight on the past wrongs by union but have ignore the facts about some French clubs going under due to miss managements and greed by some owners. Crowd average of 10,000? Mate, I'm not here to talk about all that don't have time for that but lets talk 2013 not 1949 and tell me if the French RL clubs are ready for a national competition without having to go under while doing it. Its a business for both union and the Qatari enterprise which history won't matter.

He was actually talking of around 1995, sorry haven't read all the thread yet, but I know exactly what he is talking about with the summer comp.

A certain person sent a fax through saying the game of xiii was not to play on the sacred turf lol

He was actually talking of around 1995, sorry haven't read all the thread yet, but I know exactly what he is talking about with the summer comp.

A certain person sent a fax through saying the game of xiii was not to play on the sacred turf lol

Were all games played in one ground?

In November 1994, Jacques Fouroux (27 times capped RU international, 8 odd years national French RU coach) announced the planned creation of a 'France Rugby League' competition which incorporated the amalgamation of French league clubs during summer i.e Aude, Aquitaine. Matches were free to attend and many attracted 10,000 plus crowds. As mentioned the corporate/media didn't jump on board and he was persuaded to concentrate on the Paris Super League entry as it was only one club to look after and surely the media would jump on board a flagship French club in an English comp! This was ill fated.  

Your are being economical with the truth. Only one of the 8 double headers had 10k (so 5k for each game). 17 games with an aggregate 'declared' attendance as 57k giving an average of just over 3353.

i think the deal between union and its french broadcasters has to be sealed before the end of this month. the existing contract had a clause in it for them review it mid-term. canal have 5 million subscribers while bein sport have 1.5 million; with canal top 14 pulls i understand 750,000 av per game.i dont know if they're looking for exclusivity or not; may be this concept of buying games in batches.

charles bietry who i had high hopes for to get something for rugby league has i understand taken possibily a back seat or semi retired from bein sports. no idea how that is effecting any negotiations between the french fed and toulouse for tv rights deal. catalans i understand have bein on board for 2014. the deal they have is better i believe that anything canal previously offered - cost if i remember right about €400,00 per anum between the club & federation. bein now cover all production costs. they've covered the wc superbly well and show nrl.fingers crossed that the treize can come away with something.

And there is a really nice quote about this from someone involved in the TV production at the time in the forbidden game.

He seemed to have worked something out when the games were cancelled, and why.

(^^^^  a certain someone above, he calls the book something else though at other places shhhh)

Sorry, I'm lost here, can someone explain clearly what is going on between Bein, Canal + and French yawnion?

And Audois, do u know if Bein have been happy with the response/ratings etc to their coverage of French RL ?

Ok auck if the nzrl wanted a tv deal for domestic would they get it....the answer is no some games on maroi tv. france is no different of course only final of domestic cup on tv, france need at the least a tv deal to cover production so toulouse can join pro set up in the superleague.

Why don't Bein TV set up a French SL?       Use their backing to get the French Elite league plus Catalans all full-time.

Ok auck if the nzrl wanted a tv deal for domestic would they get it....the answer is no some games on maroi tv. france is no different of course only final of domestic cup on tv, france need at the least a tv deal to cover production so toulouse can join pro set up in the superleague.

NZRL have had tv deals in the past for national comps in Lion Red and Bartercard Cup before both tournaments went belly up. I suppose the broadcasters won't be rushing to sign up with NZRL unless they have something more solid and worth watching.

I thought Toulouse fate lies with RFL not the broadcasters. Will the Crusaders be invited back to Superleague if a Welsh broadcasters agree to a deal to show their games?

France Rugby League

Only 9 events were scheduled during the 1995 'season', and only one attracted a crowd of 10,000 (if you believe the very dubious rounded figures reported)

I seem to remember that admission was free (I'll have to look up my old Open Rugby mags).

Too much pie in sky bull , france need more full timers bring in toulouse at moment only casty, larroyer and fages at clubd outside dragons.

I seem to remember that admission was free (I'll have to look up my old Open Rugby mags).

Yea, it was. Team sponsors - which were never found - were expected to pay for everything.

NZRL have had tv deals in the past for national comps in Lion Red and Bartercard Cup before both tournaments went belly up. I suppose the broadcasters won't be rushing to sign up with NZRL unless they have something more solid and worth watching.

I thought Toulouse fate lies with RFL not the broadcasters. Will the Crusaders be invited back to Superleague if a Welsh broadcasters agree to a deal to show their games?

PW, NZ does have a TV deal and you know it, so stop with the trolling.

New Zealand Rugby League signed off on a TV deal worth over $100 million, it's put in with the overall NRL deal that is valued at $1.3 Billion.

Parra is this guy polesnesian warrior Lol

Comes across that way. You heard any inside gossip on french boards

PW, NZ does have a TV deal and you know it, so stop with the trolling.

New Zealand Rugby League signed off on a TV deal worth over $100 million, it's put in with the overall NRL deal that is valued at $1.3 Billion.

Who's PW? Your the second person to call me that after someone on ERL facebook page which I'm a member. That's the NRL deal which included the Warriors and doesn't have anything to do with NZRL who are struggling which they raised in this pay rise for players in this article.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10883837

Sorry, I'm lost here, can someone explain clearly what is going on between Bein, Canal + and French yawnion?

And Audois, do u know if Bein have been happy with the response/ratings etc to their coverage of French RL ?

Jim - union presently get €31m per season from Canal but now asking for may be €100m with bein sport entering the race. the latter reported to offer €80m but have presently a lot less subscribers. canal offer i understand €60m. talk of litigation now by canal v union. will be sorted by early january.

i might be wrong in thinking that the outcome here will affect league in france; i'm pretty sure that federation president zalduendo will have been talking with bein already. after soccer with €600m and union looking to trebble their take you have basketball with tv revenue standing at €6m and handball at €1.2m. The latter is popular in france but something of that magnitude for handball could deliver toulouse to super league. but bein have been a revelation in the 18 months since they arrived on the scene; canal where paid to cover the dragons for their first two campaigns. but bein sport sent four commentators over the channel to cover the world cup and provide magazine style back up programmes to complement live match coverage something canal never did.

i dont know what viewing figures they get but wouldn't be high nationally i think. still their last two matches shown at avignon & perpignan in front of full stadiums wouldn't have done the treize any harm. the rfl have i understand said that they will only take toulouse if their business plan is sound and there is tv revenue too. if they could one day secure three super league entities with avignon a decent bet you instantly have six french derby matches. only then can you start making a viable impact viewer wise. at the moment its just an english comp rather than a europeon one that lindsay envisaged.

can someone illuminate me as to the current Bein deal? I know they showed quite a lot of SL & NRL last season.......is it going to be the same in 2014? I ask as I recently jacked in Sky Sports (think it runs out tomorrow or Friday) and see I can get Bein Sports (just 1&2) for a lot less than what I was paying for Sky&Premier.Obviously dont want to take the plunge if things arent set in stone.

can someone illuminate me as to the current Bein deal? I know they showed quite a lot of SL & NRL last season.......is it going to be the same in 2014? I ask as I recently jacked in Sky Sports (think it runs out tomorrow or Friday) and see I can get Bein Sports (just 1&2) for a lot less than what I was paying for Sky&Premier.Obviously dont want to take the plunge if things arent set in stone.

the big selling point for bein is that it is a sports channel only; they've got i think 4 channels whereas canal have film & other stuff.canal with add ons is around €50 per month as against beins €11. the latter have targeted soccer and show the majority of frances ligue 1 games. their portfolio is impressive and obviously deep pockets.

i notice that bein show their rugby league content across its four/five platforms. i only know that the dragons are on board for 2014. wait & see if there are new developments in the new year. the status quo with sl & nrl and no tv rights is to me still the best deal they've ever had but obviously hoping for more.

6 derbys is almost a short season, hadn't thought of that but it works very well indeed for France, three regional teams

Is there the appetite and more importantly the finances for this in France?

If I were Sky I would be pushing this as well, a proper European aspect to their coverage, share the broadcast costs with bein, more revenue to the game, every ones a winner.

And in respect of what bein may or may not be offering I would be more interested in what they offer RL and not what they offer other sports, RL in France is a minority sport and it needs to start somewhere at the next level and bein are at least interested enough to be supportive

6 derbys is almost a short season, hadn't thought of that but it works very well indeed for France, three regional teams

Is there the appetite and more importantly the finances for this in France?

If I were Sky I would be pushing this as well, a proper European aspect to their coverage, share the broadcast costs with bein, more revenue to the game, every ones a winner.

And in respect of what bein may or may not be offering I would be more interested in what they offer RL and not what they offer other sports, RL in France is a minority sport and it needs to start somewhere at the next level and bein are at least interested enough to be supportive

as i mentioned earlier bein cover the production costs of games in perpignan; no idea what happened with wc games and what arrangements they have with nrl. think when sky show live games from stade brutus they take the live bein feed but they show far more live games across the channel than that so be interesting to know what they pay sky for that.

i check the toulouse web site regularly to see if there 'to in super league 2015 - here we come!'still features & it does. it would take avignon time to prepare; they won the lord derby cup last year and produce lots of decent youngsters. 2 big pluses for me is has little competition - even the ligue 2 soccer lot struggle with 2,000 or less. the last three internationals in avignon have pulled 14,000, 16,000 and 17,500. where else in europe could you go presently to match that interest. and yes the soa club have aspirations to follow that sl path.

as i mentioned earlier bein cover the production costs of games in perpignan; no idea what happened with wc games and what arrangements they have with nrl. think when sky show live games from stade brutus they take the live bein feed but they show far more live games across the channel than that so be interesting to know what they pay sky for that.

i check the toulouse web site regularly to see if there 'to in super league 2015 - here we come!'still features & it does. it would take avignon time to prepare; they won the lord derby cup last year and produce lots of decent youngsters. 2 big pluses for me is has little competition - even the ligue 2 soccer lot struggle with 2,000 or less. the last three internationals in avignon have pulled 14,000, 16,000 and 17,500. where else in europe could you go presently to match that interest. and yes the soa club have aspirations to follow that sl path.

Do they? Any links or details?

I think Avignon would be perfect for SL, theyv'e already shown with the crowds they get for big games the appetite for top flight rugby league.

Do they? Any links or details?

I think Avignon would be perfect for SL, theyv'e already shown with the crowds they get for big games the appetite for top flight rugby league.

I've heard people at the local club discussing the subject on the radio and articles in papers up in Provence - internet sites here discuss it too. Being chosen by the WC committee to host a game this autumn is another feather in their cap. Toulouse, Perpignan and Avignon represent three different regions and departments plus city councils. You have the potential there to lock into three different public funding partners. Christophe Jouffret who is the CEO at Catalans also comes from Avignon and a former player there.

SO Avignon would take some time to prepare just like the Dragons did; they're struggling this year at the bottom deciding to dwell more on local recruits like Tony Gigot who has returned after playing in Australia and earlier at the Dragons, Ray Nasso who was outstanding in the WC for Italy plays there too, produced the shock of the season last weekend though turning over second placed Toulouse 29-22.