Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winnyason

the supposed french tv deal?

62 posts in this topic

Une question pour audois si je peux:

Would the likes of BEIN not be put off somewhat by the perceived instability of the proposed new format, which would likely see at least the new French outfit playing fewer games against the big boys? This might be good in the short term but surely the French TV company, be it BEIN or Canal+ will want not just their two (and hopefully three in future) sides playing each other but also the cream of the Super League crop?

Une question pour audois si je peux:

Would the likes of BEIN not be put off somewhat by the perceived instability of the proposed new format, which would likely see at least the new French outfit playing fewer games against the big boys? This might be good in the short term but surely the French TV company, be it BEIN or Canal+ will want not just their two (and hopefully three in future) sides playing each other but also the cream of the Super League crop?

exactly.

the rfl i understand have demanded a tv deal to permit toulouse's re-entry across the channel but into what? toulouse have aready played at the 2nd tier level 2009-11 and i cannot see them going back there and find difficult to imagine bein sport being interested in that scenario.also what if toulouse secured major local sponsors and bein sport funding giving them a possible turn over of say more than €4M from the off would that make them certainties in sl for 2015.

blake solley of the rfl was in toulouse earlier in the year & the quote i heard was that they where looking to sl to develop the game and toulouse in france. around that time wigan's ian lenegan was a guest of the club and spoke at one of their functions. my play on it is thats why guasch at the dragons has thrown his support behind lenagan on the restructuring issue.

Basically, bringing p&r back means that the french experiment in SL is over.

A European Super League surely is only feasible in a licencing system.  With P&R I don't see how it works without strong domestic leagues and a willingness to drop into and be allowed into those domestic leagues.  Without such the team relegated in whatever country has nothing to compete at or a very weak domestic competition.

OK having teams from just France is not a European League but it has been mentioned in the thread and even if up to x3 France teams how does P&R impact and how does it impact RL as a whole in England.   

A European Super League surely is only feasible in a licencing system. With P&R I don't see how it works without strong domestic leagues and a willingness to drop into and be allowed into those domestic leagues. Without such the team relegated in whatever country has nothing to compete at or a very weak domestic competition.

OK having teams from just France is not a European League but it has been mentioned in the thread and even if up to x3 France teams how does P&R impact and how does it impact RL as a whole in England.

the solution for me would be a sle owned jointly by the rfl, wrl, frl and the clubs with an agreement on how many clubs each would get: two for France, one for Wales and 11 for England subject to ongoing negotiation. Essentially the same as the Celtic league in rugby union. How each partner fills those slots is up to them: France and Wales could have a license system, with England having p and r if they wanted.

How?

For the french experiment in SL to be a long term viable option and to make any difference to the game over here, it simply just can't start and stop with the Dragons. There is a need for a pathway to bring more french clubs in SL over a set period of time (say 4 or 5 clubs over 20 years).

With P&R back, there is simply no pathway anymore (and on a side note I simply can't believe that bringing again a french team in SL2/Championship seems somehow still discussed). New french clubs will only happen with a full franchising or a licensing system .

And without any genuine rivalry for the Dragons to built on and without any shoot for the titles (with the club jeopardizing his middle/long term future for short term success -which is what p&R does the best), the fans apathy will continue to grow and ultimatly lead to the catalan side to fold.

By the way, I'll understand if the RFL/english clubs/sky/the general english audience don't want to go that way. But, otherwise, the goalposts need to stop moving and a long term developpement plan has to be agreed both sides of the Channel.

For the french experiment to be a long term viable option and to make any difference to the game over here, it simply just can't start and stop with the Dragons. There is a need for a pathway to bring more french clubs in SL over a set period of time (say 4 or 5 clubs over 20 years).

With P&R back, there is simply no pathway anymore (and on a side note I simply can't believe that bringing again a french team in SL2/Championship seems somehow still discussed). New french clubs will only happen with a full franchising or a licensing system .

And without any genuine rivalry for the Dragons to built on and without any shoot for the titles (with the club jeopardizing his middle/long term future for short term success -which is what p&R does the best), the fans apathy will continue to grow and ultimatly lead to the catalan side to fold.

By the way, I'll understand if the RFL/english clubs/sky/the general english audience don't want to go that way. But, otherwise, the goalposts need to stop moving and a long term developpement plan has to be agreed both sides of the Channel.

would that be 4 or 5 french clubs stuffed full of antipodeans??? because there is certainly not enough talent in france to field one competetive team in super league let alone 4 or 5...........

Widnes full of rubbish aussies remember pal all widnes have to hold onto is the glory days of the late 80s no player in england with half a brain would play there now look at the bigger picture did you watch the world cup.....and see what impact the international game has on the game in uk....oh thats right worried about self interests just in case a french team keeps widnes from superleague.

If everyone had your view the game would be screwed and played in widnes, wigan and hull.

I seen you posted scotland as a more viable option you are kidding you should be banned from posting anything in regard to catalans or france.

would that be 4 or 5 french clubs stuffed full of antipodeans??? because there is certainly not enough talent in france to field one competetive team in super league let alone 4 or 5...........

Tomorrow ? Yes, obviously. In 20 years, maybe, maybe not. I don't know, but that's hardly the point.

They seem to be doing alright at the moment, with plenty of French players in reserve. On top of this, new SL clubs would have new player production lines.

But keep pedalling this grudge against French RL. It's not their fault you got relegated in 2005!

How there can even be a question about the desirability (even the necessity) of a second French SL team after a World Cup in which France was hammered by Samoa's team of heritage players is just bizarre.  The plain facts are:

* RL needs a strong international game to boost its' profile and commercial income.

* The international game needs France (and Wales too) to be a lot stronger than now and that plainly needs France to have more full-time pros to pick their team from.

* Between the language barrier and the cultural differences, if a young French player has to choose between moving to the north of England or staying in France and switching to RU I suspect the choice is a no-brainer: most will stay in France and switch.

Consequently, for RL to have a stronger, higher-profile international game a second French SL team is a necessity for the sport.  If that's only viable with franchising/licensing, then franchising/licensing is also a necessity for the sport.