Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superten

west yorkshire

60 posts in this topic

Sedbergh was in the west riding of yorkshire but is now in Cumbria

It's still in the West Riding but Cumbria Council supply services like bin-emptying.

People will confuse places with councils.  There's no connection.

It's still in the West Riding but Cumbria Council supply services like bin-emptying.

People will confuse places with councils.  There's no connection.

They also do the same with postcodes, which equally have no connection.

The Post Office has never told anyone where they live, it merely asks that, if you want your mail delivered expeditiously then use its system of codes and post towns. In simple terms, your postal address is nothing more than an instruction to to postal staff on the routing an item should take to effect the quickest delivery. It doesn't, in any way, say that is where you live.

OL, or phonetically Oh 'ell

;)

Bradford has a population of 350,000 and has produced one Nobel Prize Winner. Todmorden has a population of 15,000 and has produced two. I used to deal with a bloke from there who reckoned it was really three. I can't remember why he was claiming the other one.

Two Nobel Prize winning scientists no less, both of whom had the same science teacher.

Not to mention Keith Emerson and Geoff Love and their contribution to culture. :ph34r:

Morley, Batley, Ossett and Dewsbury were the Heavy Woollen district, the shoddy towns. with a lot in common. I can't speak for the others but I know even today, 40 years on there is tremendous resentment in Morley that it's part of Leeds - there are even Morley Borough Independents on Leeds Council.

Yes I worked for Leeds public works dept and Morley people are great,but when I worked there they told us in know uncertain terms they resented coming under LCC

They wish :ph34r:

That's the irony because it is. We annexed part of yorkshire in the form of saddleworth and so 1/2 of the borough of Oldham is in the grim county. The other half is in Lancashire.

I'v e posted this before but some people won't know it.

Under the proposed 1974 local government reorganisation, Batley , Dewsbury and Huddersfield were to be merged into "Huddersfield" Metropolitan Borough. Batley  and Dewsbury weren't having any of that; they refused point blank to cooperate with the Local Government Commission.

Therefore, a compromise name of Kirklees Metropolitan Borough was agreed, after Kirklees Hall at Cooper Bridge, where Robin Hood is buried.

Come the reorganisation, there was a last-minute boundary adjustment to accommodate the line of the M62 and Kirklees Hall has ended up in Calderdale.

So Kirklees Council has ended up with the name of a place outside its boundary.

The arrangement has worked very well for almost forty years and all three towns have prospered. I think the same thing could happen if Lancashire agreed to rename itself Western Yorkshire.

;):tongue:

If this is prosperity lord save us when recession bites!

If this is prosperity lord save us when recession bites!

I think all three towns have emerged from the collapse of the textile industry better than Bradford has. admittedly, Huddersfield has done a bit better than Dewsbury and Batley.

One thing's for sure, Kirklees Council has done its level best to attract other industries and revamped some derelict areas to create new industrial parks. Bradford Council's just looked for more and bigger handouts from Europe.

I think all three towns have emerged from the collapse of the textile industry better than Bradford has. admittedly, Huddersfield has done a bit better than Dewsbury and Batley.

One thing's for sure, Kirklees Council has done its level best to attract other industries and revamped some derelict areas to create new industrial parks. Bradford Council's just looked for more and bigger handouts from Europe.

If the rest of Huddersfield grew at the rate of the university it would be a city in no time.