Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

Dave Allen night on the BBC

29 posts in this topic

Press release: The BBC are putting together a new compilation of archive Dave Allen material for a night themed around the legendary comic. On January 4, BBC Two is to repeat the documentary God’s Own Comic, which aired earlier this year, alongside the new compilation – plus his 1974 documentary Dave Allen in Search of the Great English Eccentric.  :yes:

Great news. I always remember watching his show and loving it. Good times

More unusual was the fact that one of the people laughing the most was my Mother. She is a very devout Catholic and some of his stuff was quite near the knuckle regarding the church.

I still find his piece about teaching his son how to tell the time using a wristwatch so funny. "The third hand is the second hand" etc.

The documentary mentioned was very good indeed. I'm glad they're repeating that.

Read the thread and initially thought "why are the beeb dedicating an evening to Dave Allen the former chairman of Sheff Wed and current owner of Owlerton stadium!!

Read the thread and initially thought "why are the beeb dedicating an evening to Dave Allen the former chairman of Sheff Wed and current owner of Owlerton stadium!!

Not to mention his time as member of the band Gong and playing for Widnes...

More unusual was the fact that one of the people laughing the most was my Mother. She is a very devout Catholic and some of his stuff was quite near the knuckle regarding the church.

Oddly same for me, my mum was a pretty devout catholic but loved watching Dave Allen. It's good to see people who can laugh about their own religion, too many people take that sort of thing far too seriously and are far too ready to take offence.

Wasn't he threatened on numerous occasions by members of the IRA? Still loved his humour and laid back approach. 

He was a big RL fan too. He got hooked on it when he was based in Australia.

He was a big RL fan too. He got hooked on it when he was based in Australia.

Now you mention it, didn't he write an article (late 90's? early 2000's?) in one of the papers about how he enjoyed rugby crowds? And he did include RL in that. ( ie specified it)

Dave Allen to me, means so much. I was 8 years old when I remember wanting to stop up to watch Dave Allen at large, BBC 2 Thursday 1976, 9 pm. I used ti poss myself ( sorry CKN) myself laughing at him. I remember either half of his index or little finger was missing ( could someone confirm?) Then when I was older I recall thinking that Dave Allen took this urine out of Roman Catholics in the main, with his humour, and this offended me, to the point that I hoped he'd be consigned to the 70s, but sadly not.

Dave Allen to me, means so much. I was 8 years old when I remember wanting to stop up to watch Dave Allen at large, BBC 2 Thursday 1976, 9 pm. I used ti poss myself ( sorry CKN) myself laughing at him. I remember either half of his index or little finger was missing ( could someone confirm?) Then when I was older I recall thinking that Dave Allen took this urine out of Roman Catholics in the main, with his humour, and this offended me, to the point that I hoped he'd be consigned to the 70s, but sadly not.

He was taking the ###### out of the catholic church, not catholics themselves. They (and all other religious establishments) deserve it. 

Loved Dave Allen - very funny man.  He used to take the mick out of religion in general (granted the catholics bore the brunt).  Always remember one of his quick sketches, he was dressed as a priest, walked through the church and into the confession box.  Few seconds later, 'dirty old man' type goes in the other side, after a few seconds of silence, you hear the priest shout "You did what?, oh you dirty b******, that's disgusting, oh my God, how could you."  With that the priest rushes out of the box, drags the confessional out, gives him a beating all around the church  and throws him out.  No idea why, but when I hear his name, I always think of that sketch.

The difference with Dave Allen making jokes about the Catholic Church and most others who did it is that he knew what he was talking about.  Ignorant humour is worse that ignorant criticism and he may have been harsh but did not seem too ignorant.

The difference with Dave Allen making jokes about the Catholic Church and most others who did it is that he knew what he was talking about.  Ignorant humour is worse that ignorant criticism and he may have been harsh but did not seem too ignorant.

You did get the impression he was a bit of an authority on the subject.

I loved his show. He did what is almost becoming a lost art in comedy. He told jokes.

Didn't Dave Allen do the sketch when two lots of grieving, coffin bearing groups were making their way from the church to the graveyard at the same time when they suddenly both realised there was only one plot available.

It ended up a race to get there first.

Fantastic humour.

Didn't Dave Allen do the sketch when two lots of grieving, coffin bearing groups were making their way from the church to the graveyard at the same time when they suddenly both realised there was only one plot available.

Fantastic humour.

Yeah that was him. Definitely some inspiration for Father Ted there.

You did get the impression he was a bit of an authority on the subject.

I loved his show. He did what is almost becoming a lost art in comedy. He told jokes.

After watching this I realise how right you are. I hadn't actually noticed that there are possibly no comedians today that do this. (I aren't saying there are no funny people about) but almost everyone is either observational or simply sarcastic or pee takers. I found myself last night laughing my head off at a guy simply telling funny jokes with no agenda other than to make someone laugh. And some of his religious material, aside from being hilarious, must have been so close to the knuckle at th the time. Absolutely brilliant.

No wonder the Roman Catholic Church took offensive. Both he and the BBC received death threats. I can't imagine anyone being brave enough to do the same to Islam.

He truly was a great comedian and compared to the way Tommy Cooper, Frankie Howard et al are lionised today he has been sadly overlooked. I suspect that from now that might be put right.

After watching this I realise how right you are. I hadn't actually noticed that there are possibly no comedians today that do this. (I aren't saying there are no funny people about) but almost everyone is either observational or simply sarcastic or pee takers. I found myself last night laughing my head off at a guy simply telling funny jokes with no agenda other than to make someone laugh. And some of his religious material, aside from being hilarious, must have been so close to the knuckle at th the time. Absolutely brilliant.

I knew he was good at it but I'd forgotten just how good. I can't recall laughing so much in 60 minutes of TV for a long time.

Fantastic humour.

That was on the programme last night. Great piece of daft silent comedy.

All the themed programmes were very enjoyable. His search for the great British eccentric showed he could do more than just be very funny.

All the themed programmes were very enjoyable. His search for the great British eccentric showed he could do more than just be very funny.

Watching that we wondered how these people manage these days in the age of uniformity. They would probably be put in a home or something. I haven't heard of many eccentrics lately.

Watching that we wondered how these people manage these days in the age of uniformity. They would probably be put in a home or something. I haven't heard of many eccentrics lately.

I'm sure it's much easier to be nonconformist in today's society.

You may hear little about your local eccentric(s), as unusual lifestyles are less remarked upon nowadays than it would be back in the time of that documentary.