Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Whitley

Third time lucky?

36 posts in this topic

My third attempt at converting the Off the Field haters!

This week I spoke to Paul McShane, have a read and let me know your thoughts: http://www.totalrl.com/web/paul-mcshane-interview-rugby-league-wakefield-wildcats/

On the phone he seemed a really nice bloke. Was very honest about his move from Leeds, too.

Keep it up Joe, some might not like it but some of us do.

Also it's good to see the questions asked of one of the lesser stars (hope that's not too disrespectful) of the game, having said that can you try and get Adrian Morley?

Keep it up Joe, some might not like it but some of us do.

Also it's good to see the questions asked of one of the lesser stars (hope that's not too disrespectful) of the game, having said that can you try and get Adrian Morley?

Thanks for the kind words. I will certainly ask the question - do you have any more requests?

Thanks for the kind words. I will certainly ask the question - do you have any more requests?

I like the format; well done!

It would be good if you could talk to some south sea islanders like Menzies Yere.

I also think Nick Fozzard would be a terrific interviewee.

Have you accidentally published the Ryan Hall interview again?

Same answers for superpower (flying), colour (blue, it's a boy thing), and drink (vodka lime and soda)!

Have you accidentally published the Ryan Hall interview again?

Same answers for superpower (flying), colour (blue, it's a boy thing), and drink (vodka lime and soda)!

Well spotted. They seem to be kindred spirits in a way. Thinking of losing the colour question as more often than not the answer seems to be that.

I like the format; well done!

It would be good if you could talk to some south sea islanders like Menzies Yere.

I also think Nick Fozzard would be a terrific interviewee.

Good call

Another good article. Will coaches be getting questioned for these aswell?

Thank you. I don't see why not. Anyone in mind?

Good call

Anyone else you'd particularly like to read about?

Anyone else you'd particularly like to read about?

Can you grab James Graham while he's still in the country?

My third attempt at converting the Off the Field haters!

This week I spoke to Paul McShane, have a read and let me know your thoughts: http://www.totalrl.com/web/paul-mcshane-interview-rugby-league-wakefield-wildcats/

On the phone he seemed a really nice bloke. Was very honest about his move from Leeds, too.

Sorry Joe not converted, I did read it with an open mind but these articles do nothing for me, everyone to their own, as they say "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please them all".

does no harm but a bit tacky for me

and please, please don;t get Fozzard - he's a fan of one person only and that's himself

Thank you. I don't see why not. Anyone in mind?

Tony Smith? Brian Noble? Nathan Brown would be good for this kind of thing I bet, he seems a fun and friendly kinda guy.

Sorry Joe not converted, I did read it with an open mind but these articles do nothing for me, everyone to their own, as they say "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please them all".

Fair enough, Gary. Can't please them all as you say.

does no harm but a bit tacky for me

and please, please don;t get Fozzard - he's a fan of one person only and that's himself

The main aim of the piece is to be a light-hearted look at the player's life off the pitch. Clearly this can come across as tacky and I am fine with that. Would be great to hear if you have any suggestions at improving it? I don't want any questions about rugby, just something a bit colourful and off-topic.

I enjoyed reading it. We often see fans saying that we need to build these guys up as "characters" and/or "personalities" beyond simply being a professional rugby league player in order to broaden the appeal of the game. I think rugby league can trade on the fact it's a much more grounded sport and yet still requires extreme physical and technical attributes in order that its players succeed.

Really have to agree, School newspaper stuff - sorry.

Really have to agree, School newspaper stuff - sorry.

You've already said that, no need to repeat. Would much rather you made some comments on how you'd improve it.

I enjoyed reading it. We often see fans saying that we need to build these guys up as "characters" and/or "personalities" beyond simply being a professional rugby league player in order to broaden the appeal of the game. I think rugby league can trade on the fact it's a much more grounded sport and yet still requires extreme physical and technical attributes in order that its players succeed.

Refreshing to find someone else who can stop taking the game so seriously and enjoy the light-hearted side!

You've already said that, no need to repeat. Would much rather you made some comments on how you'd improve it.

There are so many issues inside and outside of the game that could be explored. What is your favourite food? Geez you could get the same answer from Jamie Peacock and Johnny Vegas. However, RL readers must be more interested in week to week dietary requirements of a professional player and how it maybe varies at different clubs - having to curb vices etc. What is their view on P&R coming back? What is it like having heart rate monitors when you play? How closely do you look at your own playing stats? Do players ever discuss salaries or the salary cap? How would you feel if your club sent you out on dual registration? Can you ever plan ahead as a professional sportsman? What do you look forward to in the off-season?  When do you find out if you are in the 17 each week? What was your most controversial moment on the pitch?

Sadly, the type of questions delivered lend themselves to pretty boring one-word answers and drivel.

I'm fine with the idea of getting away from the game and finding out what makes players tick but I don't like interviews where the questions and answers are simply printed as they were said. This is something that any of us could do. Angelo writes his interviews up in a much more readable way. Not something that I would be able to do.

There are so many issues inside and outside of the game that could be explored. What is your favourite food? Geez you could get the same answer from Jamie Peacock and Johnny Vegas. However, RL readers must be more interested in week to week dietary requirements of a professional player and how it maybe varies at different clubs - having to curb vices etc. What is their view on P&R coming back? What is it like having heart rate monitors when you play? How closely do you look at your own playing stats? Do players ever discuss salaries or the salary cap? How would you feel if your club sent you out on dual registration? Can you ever plan ahead as a professional sportsman? What do you look forward to in the off-season?  When do you find out if you are in the 17 each week? What was your most controversial moment on the pitch?

Sadly, the type of questions delivered lend themselves to pretty boring one-word answers and drivel.

I agree that would be fairly interesting, but I think we are in the minority. It's a bit much. The page is supposed to be a break from intense rugby questions, with the intention of getting some funny answers. I agree it can look a little juvenile but I think you should loosen up a bit.

I think it's interesting to find out this sort of thing. For example, I was laughing out loud when Hall told me about Westwood and Burgess wrestling and astounded when he said he listened to Eva Cassidy. And with Westwood I thought it was hilarious when we spoke about hiding in his hotel room eating fry-ups while everyone else dieted. If it's not your thing that's fine. We get 20 times more compliments than complaints so all in all it's going down well. I enjoy this sort of thing just as much as a hard-hitting bit of analysis into the game and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I'm fine with the idea of getting away from the game and finding out what makes players tick but I don't like interviews where the questions and answers are simply printed as they were said. This is something that any of us could do. Angelo writes his interviews up in a much more readable way. Not something that I would be able to do.

How can you get more readable than Q&A? We decided on the format as it is much easier to read and you can pick out the questions you'd like to know the answers to easily. Again, it's a light-hearted feature. We have pages and pages of flowing copy, this is simply something different. We are all trained journalists and more than capable of doing it either way.

I agree that would be fairly interesting, but I think we are in the minority. It's a bit much. The page is supposed to be a break from intense rugby questions, with the intention of getting some funny answers. I agree it can look a little juvenile but I think you should loosen up a bit.

I think it's interesting to find out this sort of thing. For example, I was laughing out loud when Hall told me about Westwood and Burgess wrestling and astounded when he said he listened to Eva Cassidy. And with Westwood I thought it was hilarious when we spoke about hiding in his hotel room eating fry-ups while everyone else dieted. If it's not your thing that's fine. We get 20 times more compliments than complaints so all in all it's going down well. I enjoy this sort of thing just as much as a hard-hitting bit of analysis into the game and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I can agree with some of these sentiments and what you are trying to do. However, many readers will look at what is my favourite colour and what is your favourite food and not even bother reading the answers. Read some Sunday supplements or blog snaps and see how these types of insight interviews are played out and worded. I saw one for a Newcastle French footballer recently which asked "you've been in Newcastle a few months, I imagine fish and chips is now your meal of choice". Pretty much same topic. I don't care what he eats but I was curious to read the answer I suppose.

It also plays out the banter/conversation with the writer and the subject.