Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Whitley

Who should coach England?

60 posts in this topic

Opinion seems to be split on whether McNamara should be kept on as England coach (let's forget about Bath for now), but if he was asked to step down, who would be best placed to take over him?

Shaun Wane.

Interesting. Once we get 10 or so contenders I will set up a poll.

I think Wane or Brian McDermott are the only realistic contenders at the moment on paper.

I think the real issue, though, is if the RFL plan on keeping the post a full time one. If so that rules a lot of people out. Personally I think it should be, but that is limiting to the sort of people it might attract - and no disrepect to Steve McNamara but I don't think he would have gotten the job had it stayed part time.

I think McDermott and Wane together as part time head coaches would be best.

As a Welshman and Bulls fan, I was more than happy with McNamara as England Coach.

;)

think you'll be lucky to get five genuine contenders to be honest..

Only two coaches really deserve a crack at it, Shaun Wane and Brian Mcdermott.

Shaun Wane would get my vote

Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards or Ellery Hanley.

All are legends, were exceptional players, command respect, and are well-known by the general public. Shaun Wane and Brian McDermott have proved to be great coaches over the past season, but neither tick all those boxes. Good as they may be, they would be unable to raise the profile of the sport nationally in the same way as any of the three aforementioned would be able to.

Wane because he understands structure, there is no one else if we actually want to win.

I would make him full time and get all the clubs to buy into expanding the international game by making players available for sides throughout the year

Wane would carry on from and improve on McNamara - whatever anyone says there was real progress and man managers aren't what's needed in a professional set up, unless we go back to short tours and accepting loss after loss

Robinson full time would be a possible starter but he would need a good team around him, Hanley is on a pedestal, Edwards is a team manager and motivator, not a strategist

I might even look at a full time team monitoring and mentoring future internationals like every NRL club does, extra skills and game coaching can't help but improve a p[layer. I know cost is an issue at club level but surely its something that should be done internationally

I think Wane or Brian McDermott are the only realistic contenders at the moment on paper.

I think the real issue, though, is if the RFL plan on keeping the post a full time one. If so that rules a lot of people out. Personally I think it should be, but that is limiting to the sort of people it might attract - and no disrepect to Steve McNamara but I don't think he would have gotten the job had it stayed part time.

Do you think it needs to be full-time right now?

I think McDermott and Wane together as part time head coaches would be best.

How would that work?

As a Welshman and Bulls fan, I was more than happy with McNamara as England Coach.

;)

I am neither of those things and was happy!

think you'll be lucky to get five genuine contenders to be honest..

Only two coaches really deserve a crack at it, Shaun Wane and Brian Mcdermott.

Shaun Wane would get my vote

No-one else at all on your radar?

Whoever it ends up being, he will be a useless clown in a year or so.

Good point!

Jason Robinson, Shaun Edwards or Ellery Hanley.

All are legends, were exceptional players, command respect, and are well-known by the general public. Shaun Wane and Brian McDermott have proved to be great coaches over the past season, but neither tick all those boxes. Good as they may be, they would be unable to raise the profile of the sport nationally in the same way as any of the three aforementioned would be able to.

Interesting, hadn't thought of any of those.

Mal Reilly for me. 

Do you not think 65 is a touch too old?

Wane because he understands structure, there is no one else if we actually want to win.

I would make him full time and get all the clubs to buy into expanding the international game by making players available for sides throughout the year

Wane would carry on from and improve on McNamara - whatever anyone says there was real progress and man managers aren't what's needed in a professional set up, unless we go back to short tours and accepting loss after loss

Robinson full time would be a possible starter but he would need a good team around him, Hanley is on a pedestal, Edwards is a team manager and motivator, not a strategist

I might even look at a full time team monitoring and mentoring future internationals like every NRL club does, extra skills and game coaching can't help but improve a p[layer. I know cost is an issue at club level but surely its something that should be done internationally

Some good ideas here.

Personally would go for an Aussie top line coach, Bennett, B.Smith, Elliott.

In England maybe Mcdermott.

Edwards is a team manager and motivator, not a strategist

He is the rugby equivalent of Sir Alex Ferguson. They wouldn't dare lose.

I'd love to see ellery Hanley get the job and the fact that he isn't coaching a club truly baffles me.

I'd love to see ellery Hanley get the job and the fact that he isn't coaching a club truly baffles me.

There are countless good reasons to give the role to Ellery. Alas, there's just one that will probably mean he won't: he isn't one of the RFL in-crowd (kind of League's equivalent of Brian Clough).

The internet forums should pick the team as it's obvious that WE KNOW BEST! ;-)

A proven winning formula!

The internet forums should pick the team as it's obvious that WE KNOW BEST! ;-)

Actually, that might make for a very interesting idea for a one-off! Good idea!

Wane or Mcdermott aren't gonna take such a job at this stage of there lives, think Daryl Powell is great coach who knows how to motivate his charges as is Mark Aston at Sheffield/Ireland. We need to think outside the obvious box.