Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Whitley

Who should coach England?

60 posts in this topic

Who in their right mind would ever want the job? Only second in being a thankless task to being the England football manager.

I'd take it in a heartbeat if offered it. Hardly a poisoned chalice akin to the England football team when expectations are so low to start with. The majority don't see McNamara as a failure despite him maintaining the status quo as the third best international side.

I think it does on balance. Whatever you think of McNamara, the actual structure behind England and the whole “second club” mentality is as strong as it’s been since I’ve been watching RL (not as long as some on here, granted). A lot of that I think is down to him working at it in a time period that couldn’t be afforded to someone also working at club level. Could they employ someone full time to work on something like this that wasn’t the head coach? Sure, but it’s all about perception. We want to be the best international RL team on the planet, and are we seriously going to do that with a part time coach?

I also think it causes unnecessary friction around the squad. When Nobel was coach of GB back in 2005, everyone cried foul that he picked Harris and Deacon because they played for his club – now those two had just lead the bulls on a 10+ game hot streak to become champions, but it shouldn’t be hard to justify the halfback combination of the reigning champions just because you coach them at club level. There is going to be a bit of that always even with a full time coach, but why invite it?

Good point, well made.

Daryl Powell for me I think he's a tremendous coach matey

Daryl Powell for me I think he's a tremendous coach matey

Would you have him over Hanley?

Should there be a selection panel, think this happens in other sports and maybe down under, not sure on this or should sole selection of the squad/ team be put on the head coaches shoulders? Supposed team bias would therefore be eliminated, maybe, and maybe 2/3/4 selectors thoughts could be better than 1.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this?

I'm sure any one of the armchair experts that post on here that are critical of the current coach,couldn't they?

No we don't claim to armchair experts just supporters who have paid money to watch England these past years and are entitled to write our opinions on McNamara's tenure.

He was hopeless and simply continued with England from what appeared to be his record at Bradford. No one complained more about their coach than Bulls fans whilst he was in charge. Messrs Wane, McDermott and Anderson are coaches who have won trophies and my vote would go with Shaun Wane. Biased yes as a Wigan fan but Waney has won more trophies than the others. If McDermott or Anderson were appointed I'd be quite happy with either of them.

Just my opinion but I think McNamara is hopeless, utterly hopeless! That's based on his record at both Bradford and as England coach.

It should be Fulltime. When there are no games/offseason. Concentrate on grass roots, player development and putting schemes in place. Also a coaching farmework like Waite implemented and RL being RL wonderfully got forgot about.