Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guess who

Keighley Cougars plan £5M stadium.

171 posts in this topic

I'm a working class guy from Yorkshire

Should I accept my lot? Tend to my whippet and enjoy my mild? Can I now aim to move into the middles classes?

Am I not allowed to work hard Improve myself and create a better life for my family giving my kids the platform to go on and do even better?

Or should I accept that those with the better / job / house / lifestyle will always be above me?

Clubs fortunes move in circles, Bradford have been in the lower divisions, they have played in front of poor crowds like most other RL sides, no-one should be told to accept their lot.

It's the entire reason why this sport was born in 1895. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

You would be with him when he announces Doncaster are a sleeping giant of RL because they can play at the Town's shiny soccer stadium. Leigh are a sleeping giant now shurely as will Keighley be with this stadium. You know it's not true.

Doncaster are now owned by the other shiny stadium tenants. Hopefully they see a future for them and are just buying them to shut them down. I would have thought Doncaster was fertile ground for you, i.e. a good sized town/city somewhat geographically removed from the heartlands of West Yorkshire and SW Lancashire with an investor ( Doncaster Rovers) and with a good stadium. 

Neither Keighley or Leigh  are sleeping giants but both are/will be better off with a decent modern stadium than they were/are in decrepit obsolete dumps. Now if Leeds can sort out Headingley. :biggrin:

Suitable for what, I thought Keighley had SL ambitions, or was that waffle for the species.

The SL requirements for stadia might undergo a drastic downwards revision when the Broncos new ground is approved so Keighley's new ground might qualify.

Should I accept my lot? Tend to my whippet and enjoy my mild? Can I now aim to move into the middles classes?

Am I not allowed to work hard Improve myself and create a better life for my family giving my kids the platform to go on and do even better?

Or should I accept that those with the better / job / house / lifestyle will always be above me?

Clubs fortunes move in circles, Bradford have been in the lower divisions, they have played in front of poor crowds like most other RL sides, no-one should be told to accept their lot.

It's the entire reason why this sport was born in 1895. If you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

If you think the world in 1895 is remotely the same as the world in 2013 then I feel sorry for you.

Should we be looking at going back to 1875 and having the age of consent reduce to 13.

What was relevant then hardly applies at all today in most other aspects of life why should we be locked in a time warp to please a tiny minority.

For your first point its a noble cause doomed to failure,

For your second the council merged if you will to pool resources, Bradford being the senior partner....

Shouldn't rugby league follow the successful model?

And finally if 5 mill will build you a whole new stadium it should be enough to modify parts of odsal or at the very least buy the lease back!

Have you seen the centre of Bradford, aka a bomb site? If that's a successful model then there's hope for Mogadishu.

As for Keighley becoming a feeder club to the Bulls. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

Iffs and butts wont change what's happened, its time to move on!

Lower league clubs are vital to the game but they need to realise they are a lower league club and are in the lower leagues for a reason! They could form a beautiful friendship with the bulls but choose to struggle on alone!

RL needs a pyramid structure in each area, in some areas there is no clear top team, in this area that battle has been fought and won! Its time to move on and each club play their part in driving the game forward!

Firstly it's two distinct areas and so each club is too dog in it's area. I was there when Keighley clinched promotion by winning at the ground of the bottom club, namely Bradford. The way things are going, the Bulls will be back there soon.

If you think the world in 1895 is remotely the same as the world in 2013 then I feel sorry for you.

Should we be looking at going back to 1875 and having the age of consent reduce to 13.

What was relevant then hardly applies at all today in most other aspects of life why should we be locked in a time warp to please a tiny minority.

Because, as the French say " the more things change, the more they stay the same". The RU denying opportunities to clubs they considered lower class Northern trash is eerily similar to SL denying opportunities to those they consider lower class upstarts from the Championships.

Because, as the French say " the more things change, the more they stay the same". The RU denying opportunities to clubs they considered lower class Northern trash is eerily similar to SL denying opportunities to those they consider lower class upstarts from the Championships.

If that was the case the SL clubs would cut the others loose and let them sink. They haven't and won't, not because it would be detrimental to them but because they still have an affinity to them. 

There is an old saying though about biting the hand that feeds you.

It would appear you are taking this personal?

If theres two brothers who have an equal start in life....

They can't afford a mansion, but want to be brain surgeons. ..

They both set out to be brain surgeons but only one passes the qualifications. ..

Now if you get qualified then fair enough be a brain surgeon buy the mansion, but if that's not possible then you need to accept that you are what and where you are!

Keighley will never be a brain surgeon or have the big mansion, they are where they are because of choices and situations in its history,

They had the chance to be the big boys of the region ( brain surgeon) but now they need to accept that boat has sailed they are where they are they should embrace that and move on constructively rather than be a thorn in the side of Bradford who made it as a brain surgeon!

Have you seen the centre of Bradford, aka a bomb site? If that's a successful model then there's hope for Mogadishu.

As for Keighley becoming a feeder club to the Bulls. Don't hold your breath waiting for that.

The government clearly merged the local authorities to save money and become more efficient. ...

This should be mirrored in RL,

For Keighley to get stronger Bradford will get weaker, this is no good for anyone!

Trolling of the higest degree - I applaud the effort

Fev give up, there was an imaginary finish line in a year i can't name and you didn't make it.

Halifax closer to Bradford than Keighley, should they accept their place? Sack off the shay and send money to Odsal?

Saying that the distance between Bradford and Leeds is minimal, does that make Leeds weaker? Oh god, bypass the middleman and get cash to headingly.

Trolling of the higest degree - I applaud the effort

Fev give up, there was an imaginary finish line in a year i can't name and you didn't make it.

Halifax closer to Bradford than Keighley, should they accept their place? Sack off the shay and send money to Odsal?

Saying that the distance between Bradford and Leeds is minimal, does that make Leeds weaker? Oh god, bypass the middleman and get cash to headingly.

Am I a troll because I don't agree with you?

Is that the best you can muster?

The imaginary finish line was obviously when the game turned pro! I shouldn't need to point that out! ( like in soccer man u and arsenal were at the top at the right time 10 years earlier Liverpool and Everton would be the PL powerhouses)

Bradford took the bull by the horns (pardon the pun) and kicked on,

In fevs case no one has claimed top dog there yet there have been pretenders but they are still battling late into the marathon with fev playing the role of tortoise!

Almost 20 years later half a dozen teams have made a good fist of pro rugby, theres a few nearly there, Bradford would be there but for a few bad off field decisions regarding their ground. ..

If Bradford sorted these out they would once again take their place as a powerhouse of RL!

They were in the right place at the right time!

Keighley can be a top second tier feeder club there's no shame in that!

Batley are proud to be just that! They dont want SL dont pretend they do!

It would appear you are taking this personal?

If theres two brothers who have an equal start in life....

They can't afford a mansion, but want to be brain surgeons. ..

They both set out to be brain surgeons but only one passes the qualifications. ..

Now if you get qualified then fair enough be a brain surgeon buy the mansion, but if that's not possible then you need to accept that you are what and where you are!

Keighley will never be a brain surgeon or have the big mansion, they are where they are because of choices and situations in its history,

They had the chance to be the big boys of the region ( brain surgeon) but now they need to accept that boat has sailed they are where they are they should embrace that and move on constructively rather than be a thorn in the side of Bradford who made it as a brain surgeon!

Dr Bradford seems in possible danger of being struck off and the mansion is owned by the bank, Bradford Council. On the other hand, labourer Keighley seems to be about to buy and upgrade his council house.

Dr Bradford seems in possible danger of being struck off and the mansion is owned by the bank, Bradford Council. On the other hand, labourer Keighley seems to be about to buy and upgrade his council house.

Lets hope he buggers off soon then.

Neither Keighley or Leigh  are sleeping giants but both are/will be better off with a decent modern stadium than they were/are in decrepit obsolete dumps.

The best of luck in getting it built, they will be better off and that's great. One would hope Bradford can find that sort of money for seriously refurbishing Odsal too. Whether either club can remains to be seen.

I was under the impression that the RFL had purchased the stadium some years ago?

That was my understanding as well Terminator but the facts seem to have got lost to be replaced by the usual hillbilly squabble that is the norm for these forums.

Ho hum!

Personally never said KLY were all about super league, I just stated that if they don't want to be a feeder club them that's their choice whilst IF they get the cash to build the stadium then there's no reason to throw it over to Bradford just because they're 10 miles away.

I did notice you didn't answer the question on Halifax / Leeds etc

I'm here for reasonable Rl debate / banter not trolling in a make believe world

Personally never said KLY were all about super league, I just stated that if they don't want to be a feeder club them that's their choice whilst IF they get the cash to build the stadium then there's no reason to throw it over to Bradford just because they're 10 miles away.

I did notice you didn't answer the question on Halifax / Leeds etc

I'm here for reasonable Rl debate / banter not trolling in a make believe world

The make believe world is what some championship fans live in....I am constantly reading on here they should be allowed to 'dream' (dreaming is not a real world, its a make believe world of how the dreamer would like it) sometimes there dreams come true.....

Pretending a small club is a big one is to portray the dream...The dream may come true but is at present still a dream...therefore its you sir who is in the dream world!!!

Everything I have said is true Bradford are a struggling giant that is not a dream but reality.....

The Halifax/Leeds question is blatant trolling,

I also want RL debate/ banter.....My opinion may differ to yours but that's life, 

Good for Mr Keighley, but he will never be able to buy the mansion or have the ability to up his earnings, and when Dr Bradford gets his finances in order he will pay the bank back as his earning potential is huge!

One thing a thread like this and a few other threads around at the moment proves, is that the SL mafia "west Yorkshire branch" is alive and well,the only problem i'm having is trying to suss out if the head office is in wakefield or Bradford.

They could form a beautiful friendship with the bulls but choose to struggle on alone!

Why would Keighley want to get involved with a club that keep lurching from one crisis to another?

That was my understanding as well Terminator but the facts seem to have got lost to be replaced by the usual hillbilly squabble that is the norm for these forums.

Ho hum!

The Co-Op own the ground. The RFL have taken over the lease of the ground. My understanding is it a long lease.

The Co-Op have always said, they would not do anything with the land, as long as there is a rugby club playing there.

I keep seeing people saying we need a strong game outside of SL. We now have a club outside SL try to improve the ground.

The club does still have dreams of getting into SL. To fulfil that dream a better ground is needed. The club has a plan to try and get into SL. This is going to take time.

Yet the amount of people willing to stick the boot is is untrue.

The Co-Op own the ground. The RFL have taken over the lease of the ground. My understanding is it a long lease.

The Co-Op have always said, they would not do anything with the land, as long as there is a rugby club playing there.

They also said that they had a stable and trustworthy bank.

My initial question related to the viability of any club making such an investment in a ground which they neither own nor hold the lease on. Surely this must make the whole development plan more, not less, speculative?

Not putting the boot in, just asking what i think is a logical question.

The government clearly merged the local authorities to save money and become more efficient. ...

This should be mirrored in RL,

For Keighley to get stronger Bradford will get weaker, this is no good for anyone!

This doesn't make any sense. You might as well say that Fax, Huddersfield, Rhinos etc improving their stadium should be stopped or it will effect Bradford negatively. Bradford don't get a veto on everything in West Yorkshire.

Just because Keighley is today part of the Bradford district doesn't mean that Keighley is part of the city of Bradford nor does it mean that Odsal is particularly close to Keighley.