Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Sport England Participation Numbers

32 posts in this topic

would it not be simpler to ask the governing bodies for a number of registered participants?

There may be some sports who would make their numbers up!!

I played in a touch beach rugby tournament this summer in France, we all had to sign up to the French rugby union to participate,

Which increases the number of people playing union even though it was just for one day and we played a three tackle rule,

You signed up for the day but it still counts as a license to play union,

That is exactly how it is done.

Say for example Hull has 100,000 people living in it, they ring 100 people in Hull and ask if they participate in RL, if 1 person

out of the 100 says they play RL, Sport England say that 1% of the Hull population play RL which in this simplistic case Hull would have a figure of 1000 participants.

It is by no means an ideal way to find out figures but it the one used and all sports have to live with it. I know the RFL do submit there own figures based on how many games are played each week and how many player registrations there are.

I wonder if anyone on here has been contacted and asked to take part in a survey?

Problem is a lot of people just refuse point blank to take part in phone surveys.

Isn't it a trend that is being looked for - that is whether increasing or decreasing and by what percentage.  Thus providing the surveys are done using a consistent methodology then you get a accurate trend within the bounds of statistical error for the methodology chosen.  It at least tells you if participation is on the increase or not which is the goal of the survey.

The results are in for October to October and we are now at 53,500 people aged 16+ playing rugby league once a week

This is up from the April to April figure but well down from the first collected figures from 2006.

Link

Great stuff

Isn't it a trend that is being looked for - that is whether increasing or decreasing and by what percentage. Thus providing the surveys are done using a consistent methodology then you get a accurate trend within the bounds of statistical error for the methodology chosen. It at least tells you if participation is on the increase or not which is the goal of the survey.

absolutely hence the silliness of the reporting and fan reaction when they changed the methodology, overall numbers will always be dodgy but trends are the most helpful

Mind you looking at those figures it's hard to accept that football lost 100,000 participants in a year! They don't mention the margin of error either, to be honest I would guess that leagues increase and unions decrease is well within a reasonable margin of error.

Mind you looking at those figures it's hard to accept that football lost 100,000 participants in a year! They don't mention the margin of error either, to be honest I would guess that leagues increase and unions decrease is well within a reasonable margin of error.

Sorry for the stat attack, but looking at the statistically significant changes from 2006, I'd expect Union's decrease to be outside the margin of error and League's will be at least approaching it.  People get too attached to margin of error though, it uses an arbitrary value of confidence.  Even if both were within the margin of error it still means it is more likely than not that more people are playing league and less playing union.