Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

808tone

Jack Whitelaw

59 posts in this topic

Who's Jack Whitelaw? Is he funnier than Bill Hicks or Stewart Lee?

Toothache is funnier than Stewart Lee

Toothache is funnier than Stewart Lee

Totally agree. Some people rave about him, but I've never got it.

Comedy taste is pretty subjective, isn't it? I know people who think Michael McIntyre is the funniest human on the planet, yet I can sit through one of his shows and not manage even a single half-smile.

Comedy taste is pretty subjective, isn't it? I know people who think Michael McIntyre is the funniest human on the planet, yet I can sit through one of his shows and not manage even a single half-smile.

Agree and I would like to be to be able to con the public and make millions, I just don't know how they do it.

Arthur Askey got a CBE for 60 years in show business without making anyone laugh.

Arthur Askey got a CBE for 60 years in show business without making anyone laugh.

Then Tarbuck took up the mantle.

As for comedy being subjective I don't get American sitcoms. My wife has every friends episode. I sat through most episodes with her and thought that it was a drama. The canned laughter is usually brought about by Matt Perry making some facial expression or by manipulating inntonations in his voice in a stupid manner to manufacture a pseudo punchline.

I get embarrassed about some of the comedy I like as a kid. I was 15 when 'The Young Ones' came out. I remember being in paroxysms of laughter. I've watched it back when I was in my 40s and thought WTF.

Then Tarbuck took up the mantle.

As for comedy being subjective I don't get American sitcoms. My wife has every friends episode. I sat through most episodes with her and thought that it was a drama. The canned laughter is usually brought about by Matt Perry making some facial expression or by manipulating inntonations in his voice in a stupid manner to manufacture a pseudo punchline.

I get embarrassed about some of the comedy I like as a kid. I was 15 when 'The Young Ones' came out. I remember being in paroxysms of laughter. I've watched it back when I was in my 40s and thought WTF.

I find the Young Ones still witty and original.

Everyone is funnier than Stewart Lee.

I agree that the Young Ones has dated a little but there are still some really funny bits in it. The spoof 'yoof TV' show Nosin' Around was spot on.

I agree that the Young Ones has dated a little but there are still some really funny bits in it. The spoof 'yoof TV' show Nosin' Around was spot on.

I liked Elephant head.

It is the only TV comedy that Nine Below Zero played on - therefore it is beyond reproach.

Jack Whitehall on the other hand is about a funny as herpes!

Don't be having a go at big hearted Arthur. It's possibly a time thing, if you listen to some of the old shows on 4Extra like 'Take it From Here' most of the jokes are not funny to modern ears but were clearly hilarious to the listening crowds. And the 'wireless' did get some huge audiences back then.

'Ave you seen it Madam? 

Don't be having a go at big hearted Arthur. It's possibly a time thing, if you listen to some of the old shows on 4Extra like 'Take it From Here' most of the jokes are not funny to modern ears but were clearly hilarious to the listening crowds. And the 'wireless' did get some huge audiences back then.

'Ave you seen it Madam?

Where's me washboard?

Jack Whitelaw

Bill Hicks

Stewart Lee

Michael McIntyre

I do try and keep up with what's happening at home, but there's four names I've never even heard of.

I thought the Young Ones was ace, but Im not sure there'd be any point going back there and watching it again.

Friends, awful, just awful.

Arthur Askey before my time.

Am I on the wrong person, are we on about Jack Whitehall. He's as funny as a car crash.

Am I on the wrong person, are we on about Jack Whitehall. He's as funny as a car crash.

Was going to ask the same - if it's Jack Whitehall he is absolute dog dirt in my opinion

Jack Whitelaw got where he is today by bloody hard work and a rich family whose dad is a theatre agent.

He is as funny as a 10th Scrum re-set and that the same for Russell Brand and Michael McIntyre

There seems to be a extra-special kind of ire that people reserve for those that commit the unforgivable sin of not making them laugh. Whenever the subject of comedy or comediands pops up on the internet, be it forums or comments under news stories, the rage people often display is bizarre.

I'm not sure understand it.

As funny as a rectal tear. Town Exile is as funny.

As funny as a rectal tear. Town Exile is as funny.

Rectal tears can be quite amusing - depending on who it is happening to, of course. ;)

I would rather sit through an entire DVD box set of the "chicken in a basket" style sitcom The Upper Hand than watch Jack Whitelaw.