Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

808tone

Jack Whitelaw

59 posts in this topic

Who is this Jack Whitelaw of which you all speak? I've never heard of him. Jack Whitehall on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Who is this Jack Whitelaw of which you all speak? I've never heard of him. Jack Whitehall on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Yes he's even worse.

I personally find it completely nauseating that people who can't get the names of people they detest right.

And I'm going to go on the internet and let you all know!!!

Frankly, it's about as useful as moaning about X Factor. If you don't like it, don't watch it. And just because people like a particular kind of comedy, or music, doesn't make them somehow "wrong".

As my favourite Irish comedian Dora O'Bryan said "I don't understand why people can say that a particular series of sounds in their ear is worse than the same sounds in my ear"

I personally find it completely nauseating that people who can't get the names of people they detest right.

Frankly, it's about as useful as moaning about X Factor. If you don't like it, don't watch it. And just because people like a particular kind of comedy, or music, doesn't make them somehow "wrong".

As my favourite Irish comedian Dora O'Bryan said "I don't understand why people can say that a particular series of sounds in their ear is worse than the same sounds in my ear"

Dora O'Bryan? Obviously as well known as Jack Whitelaw.

There seems to be a extra-special kind of ire that people reserve for those that commit the unforgivable sin of not making them laugh. Whenever the subject of comedy or comediands pops up on the internet, be it forums or comments under news stories, the rage people often display is bizarre.

I'm not sure understand it.

The comments threads any time Miranda is mentioned are always ... erm ... tasty.

The comments threads any time Miranda is mentioned are always ... erm ... tasty.

I would have avoided her but I make frequent train journeys and Miranda is one of the few programmes on the mini tellies that I haven't seen yet. I'm actually converted. It's not particularly sophisticated and won't win many awards but it is very funny.

But he gets his nose in good programs like Have I got News For You, If it was just his own show with nobody elsee you could ignore him.

Never heard of this Jack Whitehall so looked him on youtube. I'm struggling to see where the comedy is.

Stewart Lee, at least, would be the first to admit that only a small minority "get him".

HIGNFY isn't anywhere near as good as it was, sadly. Only occasionally.

When all that Ian Hislop has left to lampoon is the fact that Borgen is a bit boring I think it's time for a change!

Jack Whitelaw

Bill Hicks

Stewart Lee

Michael McIntyre

I do try and keep up with what's happening at home, but there's four names I've never even heard of.

Bill Hicks is the pick of those four, by a long distance. Shame he died so young. Plenty of his sets are on YouTube. It may be your thing, it may not be, but I found him very funny indeed.

Dora O'Bryan? Obviously as well known as Jack Whitelaw.

Irony doesn't work on the internet does it. I forgot that.

comedy is a dead format almost, jack whatever is name is is a prime example, people used to get along in comedy by being genuinely funny, now it seems going to drama school and having the right connections gives you the right to make people laugh, sorry but none of these rambling smarmy clever trousers types raises me a smile,

FUNNY                                                                  NOT FUNNY

father ted                                                                miranda

emo philps                                                              noel fielding

the league of gentlemen                                         john bishop

vic and bob                                                             regular smarmy scripted panel show guests

Steptoe and son                                                     my family

early doors                                                             eddie izzard

the office                                                                ricky gervais  after the office

George and mildred                                               russel brand

psychoville                                                             Michael mc intyre

90s harry enfield stuff                                            friends

harry hill tv series (not burp)                                  mr bean

what's  wrong with your family? Have you fallen out?

I would have avoided her but I make frequent train journeys and Miranda is one of the few programmes on the mini tellies that I haven't seen yet. I'm actually converted. It's not particularly sophisticated and won't win many awards but it is very funny.

It's not funny but BBC cosy like My Family....which I loved.

comedy is a dead format almost, jack whatever is name is is a prime example, people used to get along in comedy by being genuinely funny, now it seems going to drama school and having the right connections gives you the right to make people laugh, sorry but none of these rambling smarmy clever trousers types raises me a smile,

FUNNY                                                                  NOT FUNNY

father ted                                                                miranda

emo philps                                                              noel fielding

the league of gentlemen                                         john bishop

vic and bob                                                             regular smarmy scripted panel show guests

Steptoe and son                                                     my family

early doors                                                             eddie izzard

the office                                                                ricky gervais  after the office

George and mildred                                               russel brand

psychoville                                                             Michael mc intyre

90s harry enfield stuff                                            friends

harry hill tv series (not burp)                                  mr bean

I thought My Family was good esp Roger the Dentist's but you forgot The Young Ones', Bottom, Blackadder, but I agree about the rest in NOT FUNNY...UTTER TURDS.

It's not funny but BBC cosy like My Family....which I loved.

I liked the early series of that as well. Very funny especially Nick.

To me Miranda is reminiscent of the kind of traditional sitcoms centred around one socially inadequate male character who had strong women around them, except obviously the roles are reversed. If you think back to the comedies up to the eighties, I don't think that many were centred on the neuroses of a woman. Ally McBeal is the first I can think of that had a female character who was a bit of an idiot but essentially well meaning. Miranda reminds me of one or two of my female friends who aren't very good with men and seem to be constantly worrying about something trivial. It's very true to life and yet there aren't many comedies like it.

Even amongst people who basically share the same humour there are different points of view. My niece is similar to me yet she went to see Russell Brand on Saturday in Bradford and was raving about it, yet I don't like him at all.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

It's strange how there is a particular level of venom reserved for comedy that isn’t to one’s taste that you don’t really get with other forms of culture. If I recommended a film to someone and they didn’t like it, they’d probably just say “I wasn’t that keen”, but with comedy people almost take as much pride in what they don’t like as what they do like. I heard an interview with a comedian recently who made the point that it’s part of their job to stand up there with the objective of guaranteeing the audience a fantastic feeling, and if that feeling isn’t as fantastic as it should be, people feel robbed and let down. 

I do wonder if it’s a particularly British thing, people do seem incredibly defensive about their sense of humour especially as a defining quality. I can’t say I’m any different though.

I liked the early series of that as well. Very funny especially Nick.

To me Miranda is reminiscent of the kind of traditional sitcoms centred around one socially inadequate male character who had strong women around them, except obviously the roles are reversed. If you think back to the comedies up to the eighties, I don't think that many were centred on the neuroses of a woman. Ally McBeal is the first I can think of that had a female character who was a bit of an idiot but essentially well meaning. Miranda reminds me of one or two of my female friends who aren't very good with men and seem to be constantly worrying about something trivial. It's very true to life and yet there aren't many comedies like it.

It can be very true to life in its characters but not in its setting or situations.  Which is one of the reasons why I think it works, and also a reason why I think it annoys the pants off some people.  It doesn't help (some people) that Miranda is incredibly posh and well-heeled - and doesn't do anything to hide that.   Still, I prefer that to mockney faux-"genuine" gurning. 

It's strange how there is a particular level of venom reserved for comedy that isn’t to one’s taste that you don’t really get with other forms of culture. If I recommended a film to someone and they didn’t like it, they’d probably just say “I wasn’t that keen”, but with comedy people almost take as much pride in what they don’t like as what they do like. I heard an interview with a comedian recently who made the point that it’s part of their job to stand up there with the objective of guaranteeing the audience a fantastic feeling, and if that feeling isn’t as fantastic as it should be, people feel robbed and let down. 

I do wonder if it’s a particularly British thing, people do seem incredibly defensive about their sense of humour especially as a defining quality. I can’t say I’m any different though.

I can go from finding Russell Brand wonderfully refreshing and laugh out loud to funny to an annoying POS in the space of a single joke.

It can be very true to life in its characters but not in its setting or situations.  Which is one of the reasons why I think it works, and also a reason why I think it annoys the pants off some people.

I wonder if this is why I don't really get on with that show. When asked to put my finger on why I didn't like it, I just found it too silly (although it is plesent enough, I wouldn't say I hated it). Strange though as I love stuff like Vic and Bob, but then they themselves are as stupid on screen as there situations.

It can be very true to life in its characters but not in its setting or situations.  Which is one of the reasons why I think it works, and also a reason why I think it annoys the pants off some people.  It doesn't help (some people) that Miranda is incredibly posh and well-heeled - and doesn't do anything to hide that.   Still, I prefer that to mockney faux-"genuine" gurning. 

Some people hear a posh accent and the "keeping it real" class war barriers are immediately erected. Similarly, some people hear a non-London accent and the snob factor kicks in.

There are wonderfully funny people from all different backgrounds. In general, you'll find more university-educated people doing sketch shows, because there is a tradition for it in universities, most notably the Footlights. Straight stand-up comes from a broader base of backgrounds.

Some people hear a posh accent and the "keeping it real" class war barriers are immediately erected. Similarly, some people hear a non-London accent and the snob factor kicks in.

There are wonderfully funny people from all different backgrounds. In general, you'll find more university-educated people doing sketch shows, because there is a tradition for it in universities, most notably the Footlights. Straight stand-up comes from a broader base of backgrounds.

Ironically Miranda is "keeping it real". She comes from a posh background and she has set her comedy in that environment.

It's all the middle class kids from RADA acting like they came from a sink council estate that should flag a warning.