Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

808tone

Jack Whitelaw

59 posts in this topic

Ironically Miranda is "keeping it real". She comes from a posh background and she has set her comedy in that environment.

It's all the middle class kids from RADA acting like they came from a sink council estate that should flag a warning.

The same criticism is often leveled at Richard Curtis. But if you see him interviewed he often relates events in his film to occasions in his real life. 

There was/is a poster who I seem to recall did/does stand up in Aus. It'd be interesting to hear their point of view on this. I imagine it can be quite a rewarding experience being on stage and making people laugh but if people start comparing you and your work to rectal tears and dog turds then does the enjoyment diminish? Do you even notice or care? Does it make you more determined to enjoy perfoming?

I think it was Alfies Thumb? Think I heard some of his stuff on MySpace years ago.

I think it was Alfies Thumb? Think I heard some of his stuff on MySpace years ago.

Aye, That's the one I'm thinking of. It must have been a while ago if it was on MySPace.

There was/is a poster who I seem to recall did/does stand up in Aus. It'd be interesting to hear their point of view on this. I imagine it can be quite a rewarding experience being on stage and making people laugh but if people start comparing you and your work to rectal tears and dog turds then does the enjoyment diminish? Do you even notice or care? Does it make you more determined to enjoy perfoming?

???? I can only think Jack Whitelaw has lot's of powder to get him on stage and is filled with confidence as he is a upper class contacted unfunny kid.

comedy is a dead format almost, jack whatever is name is is a prime example, people used to get along in comedy by being genuinely funny, now it seems going to drama school and having the right connections gives you the right to make people laugh, sorry but none of these rambling smarmy clever trousers types raises me a smile,

FUNNY                                                                  NOT FUNNY

father ted                                                                miranda

emo philps                                                              noel fielding

the league of gentlemen                                         john bishop

vic and bob                                                             regular smarmy scripted panel show guests

Steptoe and son                                                     my family

early doors                                                             eddie izzard

the office                                                                ricky gervais  after the office

George and mildred                                               russel brand

psychoville                                                             Michael mc intyre

90s harry enfield stuff                                            friends

harry hill tv series (not burp)                                  mr bean

For me, you are 80 % the messiah. Psychoville as fumny as a ginger stepchild and Wilfred Brambell should have been hanged, the other analyses spot on.

It's strange how there is a particular level of venom reserved for comedy that isn’t to one’s taste that you don’t really get with other forms of culture. If I recommended a film to someone and they didn’t like it, they’d probably just say “I wasn’t that keen”, but with comedy people almost take as much pride in what they don’t like as what they do like. I heard an interview with a comedian recently who made the point that it’s part of their job to stand up there with the objective of guaranteeing the audience a fantastic feeling, and if that feeling isn’t as fantastic as it should be, people feel robbed and let down. 

I do wonder if it’s a particularly British thing, people do seem incredibly defensive about their sense of humour especially as a defining quality. I can’t say I’m any different though.

Ahem...

We all have people we find funny / not funny and it's OK to say that.

Saying that a comedian isn't funny just because you don't find them funny is a strange statement to make if they sell out arenas and get lots of telly work.

Comedians can also be offensive and still be funny - without bringing back the Manning debate (hopefully!) he was a good example.