Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnoco

Anjem Choudray

66 posts in this topic

Is it really? That's quite a sweeping statement.

No it isn't

It happens is a feature

By no means the only twisted rationale of the demented person's existential explanation of their actions

Paranoid schizophrenics have all manner if vehicles fir their delusions

Of course the fair minded Telegraph are going to give the Beeb a good write up aren't they!? I listened to the Humphreys interview and I though Chouday was shown up as a total bigot whose opinions are not worth listening to. The Telegraph really has got a bee in its bonnet about the BBC.

I am pretty sure there are any number of extremists espousing anything you could imagine. I also imagine that they would be made to look like idiots if they were subject to cross examination by a half decent broadcaster.

But that doesn't mean we give them the platform does it?

Perhaps we might have a serial rapist on next week. He will argue that they were asking for it. But as long as he ends up looking stupid that's ok? Of course not.

I am pretty sure there are any number of extremists espousing anything you could imagine. I also imagine that they would be made to look like idiots if they were subject to cross examination by a half decent broadcaster.

But that doesn't mean we give them the platform does it?

Perhaps we might have a serial rapist on next week. He will argue that they were asking for it. But as long as he ends up looking stupid that's ok? Of course not.

Well that kind of thing does happen in documentaries dramas and docudrama

I thought 'an appropriate adult' was brilliant

Of course the fair minded Telegraph are going to give the Beeb a good write up aren't they!?  I listened to the Humphreys interview and I though Chouday was shown up as a total bigot whose opinions are not worth listening to.  The Telegraph really has got a bee in its bonnet about the BBC.  

The criticism of the BBC on this issue has come from all sides of the political spectrum, not least from Labour MPs who represent constituencies in which there may be young men susceptible to the message that Choudary is espousing.

Of course you thought Choudary was shown up as a total bigot, and so did I. But we are not the audience he is aiming at. John Humphreys' incessant interruptions and hectoring tone would persuade many of Choudary's followers that the world is against them, which is precisely the emotion that Choudary is seeking to cultivate.

The criticism of the BBC on this issue has come from all sides of the political spectrum, not least from Labour MPs who represent constituencies in which there may be young men susceptible to the message that Choudary is espousing.

Of course you thought Choudary was shown up as a total bigot, and so did I. But we are not the audience he is aiming at. John Humphreys' incessant interruptions and hectoring tone would persuade many of Choudary's followers that the world is against them, which is precisely the emotion that Choudary is seeking to cultivate.

Living in the same area as Choudary, I'd tend to agree. For a short time the local press treated him as a serious spokesperson on "Muslim issues" (for want of a better term), but they eventually clocked that he was a delusional windbag, and so stopped going to his "press conferences" and his local profile diminished.

He became little more than a local oddity, handing out leaflets on the market with a small band of equally delusional followers whom he would occassionaly motivate into criminal activity (a couple of them have just been sentenced to some time inside for various religiously-inspired assaults).

Having Chourdary interviewed on the BBC legitimises his views, and gives him an authority he does not warrant - it was a poor editorial call, and if the stories about Panorama are true also a very strange one.

That's a rather eccentric posting.

I must admit I had never heard of 'Bible John', but the Internet is a very useful tool.

Apparently someone unknown killed three young women in Scotland in the late 1960s and was given the moniker because he was suspected of saying he read the Bible on Hogmanay, or something to that effect. The murderer was never caught, although one individual was and still is suspected of the crime.

Not strictly comparable, I would suggest.

It isn't strictly comparable as has been outlined in the thread

I lived in Scotland at the time and the case was as significant and high profile as the ripper he was never caught although the strongest suspect is now dead.

There was a little more to it than reading the bible on hogmanay

And a lot less to my post than you seem to think

But criticism from the Telegraph is meaningless, everyone knows they believe that the Beeb is a left wing organisation, anyone listening to Martha Kearney's supine interviews with Tory politicians, and hardline interrogation of Labour people must know this is a distorion.  If the likes of Choudary were not given a platform, then he and his supporters could say with good reason that they've been gagged.  Given his subject I though Humphreys did a pretty good job of exposing what a very unpleasant man Choudary is.  The only people who'd be impressed by his performance would be those who support him anyway, so what's lost?

You are missing the point Trojan. Of course anyone with a bit of nous will see him for what he is. It's not these people who are the danger. Its the gullible idiots being recruited as foot soldiers that carry out the attacks people like him instigate. I couldn't give a toss about the Telegraph, it doesn't stop it being true.

But criticism from the Telegraph is meaningless, everyone knows they believe that the Beeb is a left wing organisation, anyone listening to Martha Kearney's supine interviews with Tory politicians, and hardline interrogation of Labour people must know this is a distorion.  If the likes of Choudary were not given a platform, then he and his supporters could say with good reason that they've been gagged.  Given his subject I though Humphreys did a pretty good job of exposing what a very unpleasant man Choudary is.  The only people who'd be impressed by his performance would be those who support him anyway, so what's lost?

How about those who might support him if he is given a platform?

Who would Choudary be if the media didn't give him all this free airtime?

How about those who might support him if he is given a platform?

Who would Choudary be if the media didn't give him all this free airtime?

You could say the same about Nigel Farrage, or David Cameron. IMO Farrage is another bigot, and Cameron is a proven liar from way back.  You could have said the same about Ian Paisley in the past. Denying "the oxygen of publicity" certainly backfired on the Tories when it came to having actors speak the words of Adams and McGuiness - they were made to look ridiculous.

You could say the same about Nigel Farrage, or David Cameron. IMO Farrage is another bigot, and Cameron is a proven liar from way back.  You could have said the same about Ian Paisley in the past. Denying "the oxygen of publicity" certainly backfired on the Tories when it came to having actors speak the words of Adams and McGuiness - they were made to look ridiculous.

You forgot the Labour as well ?

I fail to understand the BBC on this. Yes its good to have different opinions, but not from somebody who represents nobody officially and who has history of causing problems. As i understand he has never been elected to represent Muslims or is somebody high up in the Muslim faith. There are enough muppets who will listen to this Psycho who will go out and cause problems even to the point of killing people. The BBC should be ashamed and be made not to allow this person his time to spout such potential hate speech. There are people in the Muslim faith who are respected and have been elected by members of that faith the BBC could use.

Anjem Choudray does not have an electoral mandate.  

Not comparable. Like them or lump them but Farrage, Adams, McGuinness and Paiseley are elected politicians and democracy means that we must give coverage to their opinions. Choudary is a nobody.

And you are trolling with Cameron. If we had an honesty clause with politicians getting airtime then none of them would be on the box.

Not comparable. Like them or lump them but Farrage, Adams, McGuinness and Paiseley are elected politicians and democracy means that we must give coverage to their opinions. Choudary is a nobody.

And you are trolling with Cameron. If we had an honesty clause with politicians getting airtime then none of them would be on the box.

I am suprised he has not been sent down for inciting hatred as him as he is the one to blame for counter reaction of the EDL forming but also and his bunch of thugs have attacked fellow Muslims in London.