Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roughyhead true

Can Salford be a force next year. could they win GF year aftet?

66 posts in this topic

Of the teams in SL Salford are the team to have waited the longest for a Challenge Cup Final apperance

Salford 1969

Wakefield 1979

Hull KR 1986

Castleford 1992

Widnes 1993

London 1999

Bradford 2001

Catalans 2007

St Helens 2008

Huddersfield 2009

Leeds 2012

Warrington 2012

Hull 2013

Wigan 2013

Salford have only won the Cup once, 1938

Current non-Superleague clubs who have been to a CC final since Salford include

Leigh 1971

Featherstone 1983

Halifax 1988

(Latest appearances only)

As for a GF win, I think they have only made the Play-off's once, not a good record.

Please correct me if wrong

Looks like the squad just got stronger.

link? name?

Hansen is now a confirmed signing.

They'll do better than they did this season that's for sure.

They can't do any worse!

Actually, yes, they can win less points, but, positionally in the League Table....no.

I am honestly gutted to see Hansen leave Wigan. Fantastic player who gives everything every game. Great signing for Salford.

Sad to see Hanson go, must have been a terrific offer to tempt the lad so close to his testimonial year with a long term offer also in the offing from Wigan.

Of the teams in SL Salford are the team to have waited the longest for a Challenge Cup Final apperance

Bradford 2001

Off topic, and total pedantry, but Bradford last appeared in (and won) the Cup Final in 2003. Thought I'd point it out as it might be a while before the next one!

I am not concerned about losing Hansen as we have plenty of players ready to step up, who would offer something more for us, but I think it makes a lot of sense to have him as a counter balance to Hock again. A good bit of business for both sides.

Sad to see Hansen go, but can't blame him seeking an exciting new challenge and wish him all the best.

if that bunch of over priced rag tag renegade  has beens is a force in sl this season its either noble is a miracle worker or its a sad state of affairs for the rest of sl clubs .

With another high-tailing it out of DW Dodge, next year's Wigan squad is looking decidely threadbare on the star quality front.

If they make the top 6 Shaun Wane should be given a knighthood for services to Rugby League coaching.

With another high-tailing it out of DW Dodge, next year's Wigan squad is looking decidely threadbare on the star quality front.

If they make the top 6 Shaun Wane should be given a knighthood for services to Rugby League coaching.

I recall reading similar nonsense before the start of last season.

Looks like Wigan bought his replacement a while back in Tony Clubb.

A right side player 2nd row or centre.

Sorry to see H go but if the offer was that good I don't blame him.

He was excellent for Wigan and only came off when he'd nothing left to give.

Left it all on the field!

Looks like Wigan bought his replacement a while back in Tony Clubb.

A right side player 2nd row or centre.

Sorry to see H go but if the offer was that good I don't blame him.

He was excellent for Wigan and only came off when he'd nothing left to give.

Left it all on the field!

Could the offer really be that good though?

I am presuming the owner hasn't just decided to set his own salary cap, so how on Earth do they have loads of money left under the cap limit after signing all those players?

Still have room under the cap for more players according to the Dr

Could the offer really be that good though?

I am presuming the owner hasn't just decided to set his own salary cap, so how on Earth do they have loads of money left under the cap limit after signing all those players?

How many players have we released since the end of last season? At one of the meetings representatives of the club have had with the fans since Marwan took over, it was stated that the salaries of the retained players came to around £400,000. That leaves an awful lot of slack under that salary cap.

A steady improvement is more likely! They will need a year to gel and identify weak areas in the squad, unlike the big clubs they don't have the youth to plug the gaps with injuries. ....

If koukash keeps investing I would say 4 years for league leaders 8 for GF

With a lucky draw anywhere from 2-5 for CC

I loved AT's contribution. Bateman and Pettybourne in, Hansen out. Looks good to me. If we end up 6th it'll be because the team decides to stay in Oz and we field the U20s.

Wigan's experience with Noble was that:

- he loved his overseas players and would recruit as many of them as he could and play them ahead of any equivalent English talent;

- his style was pretty simple and basic;

- he could organise a group of players to win the games they ought to win but lose the ones they'd be expected to struggle in.

Which I think was the story at Crusaders, but might be wrong.

I can't comment on how much of that was true at Bradford, but he certainly put together/coached a wonderful team there.

His recruitment so far seems entirely what I would have expected. Top 8 but no trophies for the foreseeable.

He could also motivate Wigan to beat Leeds quite often (and then lose the next couple of games). His teams had 3 game plans - give it to Trent, give it to Hock, give it to Feka. Great guy, great advocate of the sport, sadly past his sell by as a top coach.

The best thing about Salford is that they must have the biggest grouping of nutcases under one roof (p.c. term I believe is mavericks)

Chase and Hock are literally a law to themselves whilst Smith was very much used to been the main man at Wakey. Meli can be guaranteed to have a couple of brian explosions per season whilst Tommy Lee isn't shy of giving his own opinion. We also know how impressionable Gleeson is.

If all of these lads blew up in the same day then it would be literally hell for a Salford fan and comedy gold for the opposition.

The more I think about it the more I believe that Morely literally will be there as muscle to keep some of these guys in check. Poor old Adrian's going to be at his busiest in 2014.

Add in everyone's favourite Doctor and one thing is for certain, Salford will be must see TV this season.

How many players have we released since the end of last season? At one of the meetings representatives of the club have had with the fans since Marwan took over, it was stated that the salaries of the retained players came to around £400,000. That leaves an awful lot of slack under that salary cap.

Maybe, but then Salford have bought an awful lot of players to take up that slack.

Maybe, but then Salford have bought an awful lot of players to take up that slack.

Fourteen (so far!). With £1.25 million of cap slack available, that works out at roughly £90,000 per player. I think that's higher than the average salary in Super League (I may well be wrong here, but isn't it around £75,000?). Clearly, some players will be on more than that (Chase and Hansen for sure, possibly Smith and Hock) but I'd guess the majority of the newbies will be below that.

The best thing about Salford is that they must have the biggest grouping of nutcases under one roof (p.c. term I believe is mavericks)

Chase and Hock are literally a law to themselves whilst Smith was very much used to been the main man at Wakey. Meli can be guaranteed to have a couple of brian explosions per season whilst Tommy Lee isn't shy of giving his own opinion. We also know how impressionable Gleeson is.

If all of these lads blew up in the same day then it would be literally hell for a Salford fan and comedy gold for the opposition.

The more I think about it the more I believe that Morely literally will be there as muscle to keep some of these guys in check. Poor old Adrian's going to be at his busiest in 2014.

Add in everyone's favourite Doctor and one thing is for certain, Salford will be must see TV this season.

Unfortunately (for you, fortunately for me) Salford aren't on TV too much this coming season. You need to get yourself to Barton and experience the all new "What happened next?" live and in the flesh.