Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tw15

SPOTY 2013 - Will RL get more than the 45 seconds it got last year?

58 posts in this topic

RL got somewhere between 41 and 45 seconds in last year's Sports Personality of the Year. I think it was 45-50 seconds the year before. Eddie Butler's reviews were good, if somewhat brief.

So...will we break the 60 second barrier this year?

Does it deserve such little coverage in a 160 minute long show?

Considering the BBC are a major partner of ours we should be getting far better coverage.

I've given up on watching the dreadful program.

Im not holding out much hope TBH. BBC SPOTY is generally pretty awful, though i still crave the recognition we deserve, though are unlikely to it any time soon. BBC is still very much about looking after its darlings.

Once the RL section is over with i'll probably switch over to Homeland.

Awful programme. Nonsense award that reeks of the 50s and 60s. Who gives a monkey's?

Awards for sport are a ridiculous notion anyway. Trophies and medals are what counts. Not watched it for years.

I know we will get about 10 seconds for the SLGF, about 30 seconds for the WC, all voiced over by that ridiculous joke of a commentator Ray 'er' French 'er'.

In the entire history of our sport on BBC we have only had 2 MAIN commentators, Eddie Waring & Ray French. Although Dave Woods seems to be taking some of the burden off the seemingly more and more demented Ray French.

I know we will get about 10 seconds for the SLGF, about 30 seconds for the WC, all voiced over by that ridiculous joke of a commentator Ray 'er' French 'er'.

In the entire history of our sport on BBC we have only had 2 MAIN commentators, Eddie Waring & Ray French. Although Dave Woods seems to be taking some of the burden off the seemingly more and more demented Ray French.

To be honest I think it would be apt for Ray French to do it given he's just retired. Undoubtedly Ray's commentary has declined as hes aged (I've criticised him myself), but a living legend of the game given his contribution on and off the field, deserves respect.

Dave Woods has been the main BBC commentator for a few years now.

Really? I seem to remember putting it on for 20 minutes or so out of boredom last year and I saw more than 45 seconds during that time alone. Seem to remember all three major pieces of silverware taking centre stage too. I guess it is a bit like how seemingly on twitter someone hyperventilates with shock at least once a week when RL is featured on QOS or any other quiz programme. We really need to get over this inferiority complex. 

RL got somewhere between 41 and 45 seconds in last year's Sports Personality of the Year. I think it was 45-50 seconds the year before. Eddie Butler's reviews were good, if somewhat brief.

So...will we break the 60 second barrier this year?

Does it deserve such little coverage in a 160 minute long show?

Yes.

Wigan not even shortlisted for team of the year??? and Wigan only got a big mention on the programme because of athletic winning FA cup , typical BBC

No wonder Andy Murray sounded miserable, Martina must have been stood there all afternoon with the trophy

And we had only voted on it two minutes before.