Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tw15

SPOTY 2013 - Will RL get more than the 45 seconds it got last year?

58 posts in this topic

...You'd have been embarrassed in the final?

I think whoever came through that battle of a semi final was not going to have enough to stand up to such a focused Aussie team.  No shame in that at all.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if England would have won the world cup. Would they have won team of the year ahead of the Lions, and likewise, would McNamara have won coach of the year? All ifs now though!!

I should live so long MIW ;-)

Not watched this tripe for years. The BBC's attempts at aping Sky and showing clips from sports in a different way look very gimmicky and fall completely flat. I don't know if this has been said before, but a fishing friend of mine told me that, not long after the BBC changed to voting for the main award, the Angling Times produced a voting slip in their publication, urging their readers to vote for Bob Nudd, at the time fishing's world champion. The response was overwhelming, with hundreds of thousands making Nudd a clear winner, getting more votes than all the other contenders put together. Typical BBC, they just ignored the voting and made their own minds up, presumably because fishing is a mainly working class, non establishment sport. So, I don't think I'll ever again tune into this meaningless rubbish.

How can beating the Wannabees be an achievement of any note? They get the last pick of any good sportsmen in Oz. England's cricketers winning the Ashes achieved far more.

Typical BBC, they just ignored the voting and made their own minds up, presumably because fishing is a mainly working class, non establishment sport.

Or maybe because fishing is not a sport

Was the Marquis of Queensbury a pleb?

Exactly.  And prior to those revival days, a version of the sport was played for the pleasure of Roman and Greek nobility, so it's hardly got working class roots.

...You'd have been embarrassed in the final?

Personally, I don't think we would have. 

How can beating the Wannabees be an achievement of any note? They get the last pick of any good sportsmen in Oz. England's cricketers winning the Ashes achieved far more.

The Wannabees are not even the best or even second best in the SH let alone the world. The BBC will always look after its friends. I dont know why its called Sports Personality as its got nothing to do with a persons personality and the winner this year doesnt have one! The BBC sports department is a joke and a waste of time. Its only interested in a handful of sports and the rest are given minimum coverage and at best iignored