Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bearman

Newspaper Headlines thread

50 posts in this topic

Daily Mirror showing some encouraging signs of turning into an actual newspaper today.

Headline: Lords a leeching

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/video-lord-hanningfield-says-clocking-2936278

Six pages (including the front page) on the latest Parliamentary expenses scandal.

Looks much more impressive in the print edition than it does online, too.

Tory misbehaving isn't it? So the Mirror will be all over reporting that. If it was a Labour peer, Mail and/or Telegraph would be all over it and Mirror keeping schtum probably.

Tory misbehaving isn't it? So the Mirror will be all over reporting that. If it was a Labour peer, Mail and/or Telegraph would be all over it and Mirror keeping schtum probably.

You'd think so, but quite refreshingly, the Mirror hasn't (yet) turned it into a party political point scoring excercise in this case. The print edition also refers to a case of a Labour peer abusing the system, and the editorial is a general 'plague on all their houses' call for reform, while the associate editor refers to the Lords as a 'medieval disgrace' and calls for its outright abolition. Strong, stirring stuff.

Quite so...AND they are offering free bingo today.

I'm hardly a fan of the Mirror and its politics but anything that exposes the profligacy and special pleading of these people is good news.

The thing is, though, in my opinion,  the vast majority of Mps and lords take their responsibilities  and their constituents seriously and do work hard on our behalf.  Get the right number of Lords and MPs, pay them properly, reimburse expenses on the same basis as the rest of us ( wholly and exclusively incurred  for their jobs, etc)  stop subsidizing their pensions etc....

It's Wednesday so it must be house price story day for the Express: :D

Daily_Express_18_12_2013.jpg

The Express is back to the weather with "12 Days of Christmas storms"

It's being so cheerful what keeps em going.

The Express is back to the weather with "12 Days of Christmas storms"

It's being so cheerful what keeps em going.

The weather has now been on their front page ten times out of the last 21 editions. At this rate, the Express will soon be moving to the Met Office. 

The weather has now been on their front page ten times out of the last 21 editions. At this rate, the Express will soon be moving to the Met Office. 

The Express are in an editorial crisis now as the Royals aren't doing anything controversial that would allow them to pledge their undying support.  The most controversial thing recently is that Harry has grown a beard to look even less like the rest of them.  I think they're secretly disappointed that Kate is quite bland and performs the dutiful and uncontroversial wife role a bit too well for their liking.

The Express are in an editorial crisis now as the Royals aren't doing anything controversial that would allow them to pledge their undying support.  The most controversial thing recently is that Harry has grown a beard to look even less like the rest of them.  I think they're secretly disappointed that Kate is quite bland and performs the dutiful and uncontroversial wife role a bit too well for their liking.

It's difficult to understand why the Express have gone down the route of repeated front page headlines, unless of course the paper is struggling financially. 

I think they're secretly disappointed that Kate is quite bland and performs the dutiful and uncontroversial wife role a bit too well for their liking.

She's probably frightened by the SAS hit squads that follow her everywhere.

Quelle surprise!   What do you know about the Press Gazette?

I'd move that rags staff to a place where they do actually have the kinds calamitous weather they're so fond of predicting.

Ah! Another supporter of press freedom! You don't have to read it. You don't have to  buy it. You can leave that to the 550,000  who do buy it each day.

Ah! Another supporter of press freedom! You don't have to read it. You don't have to  buy it. You can leave that to the 550,000  who do buy it each day.

I believe in free speech.

It's why I have no problem mocking the Express.

Ah! Another supporter of press freedom! You don't have to read it. You don't have to buy it. You can leave that to the 550,000 who do buy it each day.

Ah! Another selective supporter of people's freedom to comment! You don't have to read them. You don't have to respond to it. You can leave that to the many who agree, or disagree, and actually engage in debate.

Merry Christmas John!

They can print whatever they like. However, I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

It would be interesting to know why anyone does still buy it. Force of habit? Misplaced loyalty?

It's the paper I grew up reading (when it was still a broadsheet) as my dad used to get it delivered every day, but he gave up on it years before the precipitous decline into the parody it has become nowadays.

I believe in free speech.

It's why I have no problem mocking the Express.

Me too, which is why I have no problem mocking the Guardian, the Independent,  the Mirror, the New Statesman, the Press Gazette and the BBC News and Current Affairs unit and other left of centre organs.

I too wonder why anyone would buy the Express (or Sun..or Mail for that matter) though I suspect its the same reason why most people any paper...perhaps to seek confirmation of their own views and standards. (plus of course racing  and football pages. It goes without saying though that forum members like you and I and John are open minded and read the whole spectrum of newspapers  before forming their opinions. 

Mind you, I know why we all buy League Express.

They can print whatever they like. However, I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

Me neither. It news to me, too. Where does it say that?  Is it in the Ts and Cs? I think we should be told.

I wasn't aware that we are all compelled to keep our opinions of their output to ourselves.

Me neither. It news to me, too. Where does it say that?  Is it in the Ts and Cs? I think we should be told.

The cheek of it.   :banghead:

It amuses me that on this forum were the same rugby league topics, P&R, SL or Not SL etc. etc. get recycled over and over again, and where if the topic doesn't start on one of the usual subjects it degenerates into it, that some people moan about the express continually recycling its front page topics,

It amuses me that on this forum were the same rugby league topics, P&R, SL or Not SL etc. etc. get recycled over and over again, and where if the topic doesn't start on one of the usual subjects it degenerates into it, that some people moan about the express continually recycling its front page topics,

The post of the week!

Personally, I gave up a long time ago replying to looping threads on the rugby league forum. As for the Daily Express, I was a loyal reader for many, many years before calling it a day, so I suppose I have earned my stripes to be critical.  ;) As for my emails to the Daily Express enquiring to the reasons behind the looping headlines, I never did receive a reply. Finally, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! :tongue: Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year to one and all. Over and out on this topic.