Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShotgunGold

The RFL and Super League should bring Club Memberships to England

90 posts in this topic

Right. Rovers have a wide range of options for membership/ST/call-it-what-you-will, and I assume without looking most clubs do similar things.

So, there is no difference between what UK clubs and NRL clubs are tring to do.

So, odd thread really.

I think there are differences, some nice little things that can be adopted, but I agree that it is being overstated somewhat.

I live in Edinburgh so can usually get to only a couple of games per year - yet I can make my contributions in a couple of ways.

Firstly, I buy a shirt (or other merchandise). Secondly, I have a £5 standing order per month going to Squadbuilder (which is a larger investment than South's non-ticketed membership option).

I think anything that can increase revenue should be looked at, and I quite like memberships and the feeling of belonging to a club as a way of getting fans on board, but the suggestion earlier in the thread with the StHelens example I would expect is unworkable at this stage. I'm also not sure that there should be a membership option which is basically a ticket for a London Broncos game - that doesn't seem right to me!

Whilst it has always been said clubs shouldn't rely on 'away' supporters to boost their averages, imagine for a club like London the boost they would get if Wigan sold a 'London' membership, and knew in January/February, that for the game they were hosting that year, they would have a minimum of say 800 London based Wigan fans. The two clubs would both get a cut of the membership, London would have a better handle on expected crowds, and best of all they would have the money in the bank to invest into promoting other games or attempting to draw more fans to the match.

can't they just sell tickets?

Why would branding it a membership suddenly make more Wigan fans go along to the London game?

I think there are differences, some nice little things that can be adopted, but I agree that it is being overstated somewhat.

I live in Edinburgh so can usually get to only a couple of games per year - yet I can make my contributions in a couple of ways.

Firstly, I buy a shirt (or other merchandise). Secondly, I have a £5 standing order per month going to Squadbuilder (which is a larger investment than South's non-ticketed membership option).

I think anything that can increase revenue should be looked at, and I quite like memberships and the feeling of belonging to a club as a way of getting fans on board, but the suggestion earlier in the thread with the StHelens example I would expect is unworkable at this stage. I'm also not sure that there should be a membership option which is basically a ticket for a London Broncos game - that doesn't seem right to me!

Ok, sounds good.

So, just to clarify, this is about SL clubs needing to follow Featherstone Rovers lead? :tongue:

Why would branding it a membership suddenly make more Wigan fans go along to the London game?

The idea behind membership is to mmake people feel like they are part of their club and are contributing to their club.

Buying just a ticket to a London game does not contribute to Wigans wellbeing in any way, but a membership does.

Sure London doesn't get the same yield per ticket sale, but they are leveraging another supporter base and getting someone else to do the heavy lifting.

As for why would membership lead to more Wigan fans turning up to a London game? Well it might not, but it gets people to pre purchase, which helps cash flow and budgeting. It also allows Wigan to understand their fan base outside of Wigan, which helps with sponsors, advertising and much more.

i think something like this should be considered at catalans too. with their wide geographical supporter base few attend all the matches because of distances involved. i'd certainly pay for a membership. i reckon 12,000 french supporters will watch the dragons in any one season at brutus. i would have thought london would benefit here too. when i lived in the west country i would only do 3/4 games per season. not all are tied into buying merchandise stuff every year as more & more possible look to older shirts which had a special appeal. club membership could be seen as a useful marketing tool. for south sydney just connecting with 30,000 plus gives it gravitas.

The idea behind membership is to mmake people feel like they are part of their club and are contributing to their club.

Buying just a ticket to a London game does not contribute to Wigans wellbeing in any way, but a membership does.

Sure London doesn't get the same yield per ticket sale, but they are leveraging another supporter base and getting someone else to do the heavy lifting.

As for why would membership lead to more Wigan fans turning up to a London game? Well it might not, but it gets people to pre purchase, which helps cash flow and budgeting. It also allows Wigan to understand their fan base outside of Wigan, which helps with sponsors, advertising and much more.

I think the potential issue with this is that it is probably only relevant for a handful of people.

I would say there is much more opportunity around packaging home tickets and other member offers, but this happens in a fe clubs as it is.

The real trick is getting money for 'nothing' or some cheap tat, that people want because they feel part of the club.

The numbers that people are hoping for by being flexible/inventive are highly optimistic! Wigan have 800 fans in or around London??

Championship club gates have (roughly) halved - or worse - over the last 20 years, so stick your head in the sand by all means or try to bring a breath of fresh air into your marketing.

Championship club gates have (roughly) halved - or worse - over the last 20 years, so stick your head in the sand by all means or try to bring a breath of fresh air into your marketing.

So Wigan selling tickets for the London away game (which they already do) but re-naming it a Membership will bring a breath of fresh air into marketing? How exactly?

I've already said there are some good points here, but some of the list of suggestions just don't make much sense to me. 

So Wigan selling tickets for the London away game (which they already do) but re-naming it a Membership will bring a breath of fresh air into marketing? How exactly?

I've already said there are some good points here, but some of the list of suggestions just don't make much sense to me. 

Dave - you seem like a bloke who gets to a few games.  Any marketing initiative isn't going to be aimed at the likes of you and me, who'll be there anyway.  It'll be aimed at the people who might come if the deal's good enough.  You need to put yourself in their mindset, not yours.

Hemel have got a few membership schemes - essentially a season ticket with extras, including - importantly - a stake in the supporters trust.

http://hemelstags.com/shop/product/13/

We've gone for the Gold family membership this year. I really like what Hemel are doing and where they're going so am happy to spend a few quid extra to show my support.

The named seats are essentially pointless for my two children though - wriggly little buggers.  :tongue:

Dave - you seem like a bloke who gets to a few games.  Any marketing initiative isn't going to be aimed at the likes of you and me, who'll be there anyway.  It'll be aimed at the people who might come if the deal's good enough.  You need to put yourself in their mindset, not yours.

Mate, part of my job is working with Marketing managers and Agencies so I'm not in the wrong mindset around the marketing and targeting of customers, I'm just not convinced that selling a ticket for London v Wigan should be re-branded as a Wigan Membership.

I think there have been some really good things in recent years where clubs have been incentivised to sell tickets for away games (10% cut IIRC), the free Challenge Cup Tickets, discounted Cup tickets and free Children's tickets for away games included in Season Tickets. These things should be pushed further, whereas in reality they actually fade away to the point that when it comes to away games websites just seem to mention it in passing rather than trying to get people along to these games.

I think Memberships is a very good idea, and I like the competitive element that the NRL have put in, but this needs to stack up financially, and two things I noticed straight away was that Warrington's cheapest Adult Season Ticket was more expensive than South's most expensive Season Ticket Membership - and the minor memberships for Souths (priced around £40) is basically a bundle of merchandise.

What would be interesting to see is whether 20k members at Souths is better than 10k Season Tickets plus merchandise, plus supporters clubs income at a club like Wigan.

I think there is something in it, and I think anything that adds to the buzz is good, but I think the effort required may not match the rewards.

I note that Hull KR and a few others have memberships schemes, it would be interesting to know why other clubs have not followed their lead.

Fair enough, Dave.

You only find out if summat works after you've tried it.

Oxford already has memberships - glorified season ticket with some additional badges and members' forums. I have one. Still think I'm missing something here....

The memberships idea, as some have said, is more about belonging to your club. For instance, you might get a hat with Storm 2014 Member (or whatever) on it, or a Member car sticker - people love to show these off, and are proud to be a member of their club.

It's a way of involving people in their club.

It's also great if you live in a different part of the country. For example, as a Storm fan on the Gold Coast, I can buy a Storm Queensland membership, which would give me access to two Storm games in Qld, one home match, plus a load of other stuff, and priority access for Grand Final tickets etc.

It's great to know you are still valued as a member, and can still get things like priority GF tickets, even if you cannot get to games every week.

I think having southern memberships would be great for northern SL teams. It could give that person access to their team's match at the Broncos, maybe a Skolars game, and perhaps one or two of their team's home games as well. They would also get the member's merchandise, so it would give them that sense of being part of the club.

The Broncos could perhaps offer a northern membership too, for their fans who live in the north.

Some English clubs are obviously already on board with memberships, but I think a lot of clubs could do a lot more

The memberships idea, as some have said, is more about belonging to your club. For instance, you might get a hat with Storm 2014 Member (or whatever) on it, or a Member car sticker - people love to show these off, and are proud to be a member of their club.

It's a way of involving people in their club.

It's also great if you live in a different part of the country. For example, as a Storm fan on the Gold Coast, I can buy a Storm Queensland membership, which would give me access to two Storm games in Qld, one home match, plus a load of other stuff, and priority access for Grand Final tickets etc.

It's great to know you are still valued as a member, and can still get things like priority GF tickets, even if you cannot get to games every week.

I think having southern memberships would be great for northern SL teams. It could give that person access to their team's match at the Broncos, maybe a Skolars game, and perhaps one or two of their team's home games as well. They would also get the member's merchandise, so it would give them that sense of being part of the club.

The Broncos could perhaps offer a northern membership too, for their fans who live in the north.

Some English clubs are obviously already on board with memberships, but I think a lot of clubs could do a lot more

Living in Wellington I got a full season ticket to the warriors in 2010 and with flights etc it cost me a ###### fortune. From then on I have just been a member and picked 5 games a year in Australia to go to making a weekend of it for the same money but a lot less agro from the co-pilot!

I feel no less loyal to the club.....if we got a team down here I'd drop them like a hot spud

Posted · Hidden by ckn, December 20, 2013 - No reason given

Good to see some smart people in here looking at ways to improve their gameday and whole experience of RL, as usual though, we have a few ###### idiot moaners in here who just can't bloody help themselves, I swear sometimes I wish I wasn;t a RL fan at times.

The small moaning minority seem to want to ruin or argue about anything for arguments sake or just for some more ruination, for you people, go and get stuffed!

It works in other sports around the world but the all knowing knowalls who knock it seem to think RL is different!

NFL in the USA, biggest sporting comp in the world bar none, yet RL can't follow this, we're different  :shout:

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, December 20, 2013 - No reason given

It's our tradition, Parra.

Good to see some smart people in here looking at ways to improve their gameday and whole experience of RL, as usual though, we have a few ###### idiot moaners in here who just can't bloody help themselves, I swear sometimes I wish I wasn;t a RL fan at times.

The small moaning minority seem to want to ruin or argue about anything for arguments sake or just for some more ruination, for you people, go and get stuffed!

Wind your neck in or why not actually join in the discussion which imo was reasoned.

I wish you weren't a RL fan if you can't actually engage in discussion and just want to censor people's views.

It works in other sports around the world but the all knowing knowalls who knock it seem to think RL is different!

NFL in the USA, biggest sporting comp in the world bar none, yet RL can't follow this, we're different  :shout:

What works?

Oxford already has memberships - glorified season ticket with some additional badges and members' forums. I have one. Still think I'm missing something here....

Maybe, maybe not... check Leeds Rhinos as an example of non ticket membership and see if what Oxford offer is similar. Url below and look at the non ticketed options:

http://www.iamarhino.co.uk/benefits

You may be amused by the pet membership, or even the baby membership....

Maybe, maybe not... check Leeds Rhinos as an example of non ticket membership and see if what Oxford offer is similar. Url below and look at the non ticketed options:

http://www.iamarhino.co.uk/benefits

You may be amused by the pet membership, or even the baby membership....

I think Hull KR had a good example of one a few years back, not sure if it still happens, but it was something like £50 and you got the DVD's of the games each week.

As mentioned, I don't get to many games, but I'd pay for a membership which gave me DVD's or even online full coverage of all the games. Or even just that service at all.

Good example - proves the point that there are sales opportunities being missed.