Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShotgunGold

Muslims refuse to sell alcohol and pork at M&S. Yay or Nay?

96 posts in this topic

A s far as I am aware, most branches of Judasim do not actively proselytize to non-Jews whereas in Islam,  inviting people to become Muslims  is regarded as a good thing to do. 

It's hardly unique as a religion in doing that though is it?

True.  However, in post #72 the point was made that  "hardly anyone knew about these Jewish 'courts' is an indication of how little it has impacted on everyday life in Britain? You simply cannot say the same about the people wanting sharia law."

One reason for that is in my experience,  Judaism does not try to convert gentiles nor try impose its religion on others, whereas there seem to be a significant number of Muslim groups who  don't take that approach. It is this in my view that people are rightly concerned about when it comes to "Islamic" courts. 

True.  However, in post #72 the point was made that  "hardly anyone knew about these Jewish 'courts' is an indication of how little it has impacted on everyday life in Britain? You simply cannot say the same about the people wanting sharia law."

One reason for that is in my experience,  Judaism does not try to convert gentiles nor try impose its religion on others, whereas there seem to be a significant number of Muslim groups who  don't take that approach. It is this in my view that people are rightly concerned about when it comes to "Islamic" courts. 

What specifically concerns you about "Islamic" courts as they are currently legally implemented in the UK?  Do you fear people will be dragged before these "courts" and ordered flogged for selling alcohol as that religious nutjob who is the subject of the other thread wanted?  Well, that'd be illegal and would see the court disbanded and the judges sent to jail.  These aren't the Sharia courts you see implemented in places like rebel held Syria or Saudi Arabia, they're glorified arbitration tribunals for civil matters that are too trivial for the mainstream court system.

If you have proof to the opposite of this then I'd be very interested to read it.

What specifically concerns you about "Islamic" courts as they are currently legally implemented in the UK?

Nothing, other than the possible direction of travel.  

Well, that'd be illegal and would see the court disbanded and the judges sent to jail

Yeah, right, That ALWAYS happens with illegal behaviour.

Nah, when I was there there were plenty of examples of men and women walking together in public places holding hands, hugging and so on.  No-one batted an eyelid about that.  They had plenty of other seriously idiotic and very discriminatory things happening in plain view but that sort of conduct wasn't one of them.

For example, there was a Pizza Hut right across from our compound in Riyadh, it had a hatch by the main door with a sign "no females allowed in this restaurant" and they had to be served at the hatch.  When on guard there I'd see more than a few Saudi couples turn up, walk to the place hand-in-hand then the man would enter while the woman waited outside like a good little obedient pet then walk away hand-in-hand again once he came out with their pizza.

Be that as it may, Islamic nutjobs do not wish to recreate Saudi society in the UK, Saudi Arabia is not nearly Islamic enough.

I think integration would be helped enormously if isolated incidents like this one appears to have been weren't blown up into such massive scare stories by the media.

I don't think that's a very realistic hope, even though I don't think the media actually blew this story up into a massive scare story.

The story really took off on Twitter, and in other social media, including the M&S Facebook page, and other forums like this one.

Fortunately M&S have now said that they have abandoned this policy, and that any employees who object to serving certain products at the checkout won't be put into those positions.

Why they didn't have the sense to do that in the first place beggars belief.

^ spot on ^

as someone who runs the wine dept in a busy M&S SIMPLY FOOD  store  I have never heard of this policy.

I expect evey member of the wine team to know about the products we sell and would fail them at revue time if they had not shown they could not only display wines but also advise customers and answer questions about the products .

yes some of my posts may seem that have have  been sampling to many of the products myself

as someone who runs the wine dept in a busy M&S SIMPLY FOOD store I have never heard of this policy.

I expect evey member of the wine team to know about the products we sell and would fail them at revue time if they had not shown they could not only display wines but also advise customers and answer questions about the products .

yes some of my posts may seem that have have been sampling to many of the products myself

So, you make a real song and dance out of it?

wine and song    go together my friend. the dancing bit I don't indulge in

wine and song go together my friend. the dancing bit I don't indulge in

Actually, it was a reference to your use of "revue" but never mind!

as someone who runs the wine dept in a busy M&S SIMPLY FOOD  store  I have never heard of this policy.

yes some of my posts may seem that have have  been sampling to many of the products myself

The people on the checkouts don't work in the wine department. The people in the wine department have akreadyvshiwn a commitment to work with alcohol

I do agree,authentic about the ridiculousness of the now seemingly resolved situation

Do you work in the Moortown store?

the people in the wine dept at times do have to work on the tills when its busy  .

no I don't work at moortown  wouldn't  want to .

yep I see the revue bit now. like I said to much of the product :onthequiet:

the people in the wine dept at times do have to work on the tills when its busy  .

no I don't work at moortown  wouldn't  want to .

yep I see the revue bit now. like I said to much of the product :onthequiet:

If they already work in the wine department then it won't be a problem for them checking booze out at the tills

I don't like shopping in the Moortown branch it's a bit cramped

But I do like marks n sparks in general especially allocate

Purely impressionistic I know but this seems like a non issue to me there was no need for the company to do thid

In a chemist in Chequerfield, Pontefract, there used to be a staunch Catholic lady who worked behind the till. she always tutted when selling Johnnies to my brother.

In a chemist in Chequerfield, Pontefract, there used to be a staunch Catholic lady who worked behind the till. she always tutted when selling Johnnies to my brother.

Terrible! If Johnny had put down a deposit she should have waited until he came to collect!

Your brother? Yeah, right!!

well, yes,..seeing as she was your mother!

I went up to the checkout at M&S and placed down four bottles of wine and six packets of pork scratchings. 

The Muslim at the checkout said, "I'd prefer not to put these through for you, sir."

"Oh," I replied. "Is that because you won't serve me on religious grounds?" 

"It's not that," he responded. "You can get those for six quid cheaper at my dad's shop on the corner.