Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

2014 Squads

65 posts in this topic

So as we move into a period of predictions etc. I thought it would be good to have a list of all the squads for 2014. I know some are still to be finalised (London!) but I thought most would have been named by now.

Also I'm looking to update my RL Live 2 game so this would help me with that  ;)

For starters, Wire squad:

1 Matthew Russell 2 Chris Riley 3 Chris Bridge 4 Ryan Atkins 5 Joel Monaghan 6 Stefan Ratchford 7 Richie Myler 8 Chris Hill 9 Micky Higham 10 Roy Asotasi 11 Trent Waterhouse 12 Ben Westwood 13 Simon Grix 14 Michael Monaghan 15 Ben Harrison 16 Paul Wood 17 Ben Currie 18 Rhys Evans 19 Anthony England 20 Gareth O'Brien 21 Glenn Riley 22 Brad Dwyer 23 James Laithwaite 24 Kevin Penny

So as we move into a period of predictions etc. I thought it would be good to have a list of all the squads for 2014. I know some are still to be finalised (London!) but I thought most would have been named by now.

Also I'm looking to update my RL Live 2 game so this would help me with that  ;)

For starters, Wire squad:

Matthew Russell

Chris Riley

Chris Bridge

Ryan Atkins

Joel Monaghan

Stefan Ratchford

Richie Myler

Chris Hill

Micky Higham

Roy Asotasi

Trent Waterhouse

Ben Westwood

Simon Grix

Michael Monaghan

Ben Harrison

Paul Wood

Ben Currie

Rhys Evans

Anthony England

Gareth O'Brien

Glenn Riley

Brad Dwyer

James Laithwaite

Kevin Penny

Very, very strong squad is that and that's why I think wire will top super league in 2014 closely followed by Huddersfield.

Very, very strong squad is that and that's why I think wire will top super league in 2014 closely followed by Huddersfield.

Looks much weaker than the 2013 squad to me, but each to their own. Don't think they'll be far off the top in any case

Looks much weaker than the 2013 squad to me, but each to their own. Don't think they'll be far off the top in any case

I'm a Warrington fan, but I agree with you. Lacks size up front. There isn't a 17 stone player in there, I don't think. Still be tough to beat, though (hopefully).

leeds squad is

1 zak hardacker

2 ben jones-bishop

3 kalum watkins

4 joel moon

5 ryan hall

6 danny mcguire

7 rob burrow

8 kylie leiluai

9 paul aiton

10 Jamie peacock

11 Jamie jones-buchanan

12 carl ablett

13 kevin sinfield

14 stevie ward

15 brett delaney

16 ryan bailey

17 ian kirke

18 chris clarkson

19 mitch achurch

20 tom briscoe

21 liam sutcliffe

22 jimmy keinhorst

23 brad singleton

24 alex foster

25 andy yates

By the end of the year, I expect Wigan's starting 13 to be:

Bowen - Josh - Goulding - Thornley - Burgess - Hampshire - Smith

Taylor - McIllorum - Flower - Bateman - Farrell - Lockers

With a shadow 13 of

Sarginson - Manfredi - Gellng - Lloyd - Tierney - Green - Powell

Crosby - Tomkins - Dudson - Hughes - Pettybourne - Burke

And further opportunities for

Clubb - Greenwood - Powell - Williams - Hopkins - Lauaki (?)

Overall, once Hampshire and Bateman have settled in, we'll be stronger for the development of the young players and the additional strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few from the shadow 13 really develop into class acts. Not sure where Clubb and Hopkins will play, prop perhaps?

will be an interesting season for sure, im more excited for this than many recent years.

This team could struggle or step up. One thing is that it will be much faster and mobile than recent years.

The halves will be crucial as will injuries as I think we have lost depth in key positions, but if this clicks then we could go very well and do so for a few years.

I'm a Warrington fan, but I agree with you. Lacks size up front. There isn't a 17 stone player in there, I don't think. Still be tough to beat, though (hopefully).

Hill and Wood were our best props last year, Asotasi has strong pedigree and looking forward to seeing England.

Think we may miss Cooper.

By the end of the year, I expect Wigan's starting 13 to be:

Bowen - Josh - Goulding - Thornley - Burgess - Hampshire - Smith

Taylor - McIllorum - Flower - Bateman - Farrell - Lockers

With a shadow 13 of

Sarginson - Manfredi - Gellng - Lloyd - Tierney - Green - Powell

Crosby - Tomkins - Dudson - Hughes - Pettybourne - Burke

And further opportunities for

Clubb - Greenwood - Powell - Williams - Hopkins - Lauaki (?)

Overall, once Hampshire and Bateman have settled in, we'll be stronger for the development of the young players and the additional strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few from the shadow 13 really develop into class acts. Not sure where Clubb and Hopkins will play, prop perhaps?

interesting you think Hampshire will oust Green at 6.

interesting you think Hampshire will oust Green at 6.

If not this year, then next. He's a special talent. It just depends how quickly we want to introduce him.

I also think Smith will kick on again, and become a top class 7.

But then again, everything seems possible in the off season.

Giants -

1 Scott Grix

2 Jermaine McGillvary

3 Leroy Cudjoe

4 Joe Wardle

5 Aaron Murphy

6 Danny Brough

7 Luke Robinson

8 Eorl Crabtree

9 Shaun Lunt

10 Craig Kopczak

11 Brett Ferres

12 Jason Chan

13 Chris Bailey

14 Michael Lawrence

15 Larne Patrick

16 David Faiumu

17 Ukuma Ta'ai

18 Kyle Wood

19 Jodie Broughton

20 Antonio Kaufusi

21 Anthony Mullally

22 Jacob Fairbank

23 Josh Johnson (DR Batley Bulldogs)

24 Peter Aspinall (DR Batley Bulldogs)

25 Nathan Mason (DR Batley Bulldogs)

26 Ben Blackmore (DR Batley Bulldogs)

27 Jake Connor (DR Batley Bulldogs)

28 Kruise Leeming

29 Jack Miller

Catalans could be something like:

1 Webb

2 Oldfield

3 Pomeroy

4 Duport

5 Escare

6 Pryce

7 Dureau

8 Lima

9 Henderson

10 Bousquet

11 Anderson

12 Taia

13 Mounis

14 Bosc

15 Millard

16 Whitehead

17 Pelissier

18 Baitieri

19 Elima

20 Paea

21 Fakir

22 Simon

23 Maria

24 Cardace

25 Vaccari

26 Pala

27 Barthau

28 Garcia

29 Margelet

30 Springer

31 Robin

32 Miloudi

I though Frayssinous did alright last year taking into account the injuries and suspensions.

Started without Dureau and Paea; then few weeks in lost Webb and Elima long term followed by Anderson and Baiteri. That's a good nucleus of their starting line up absent for a big part of the season.

For 2014 the key could be Dureau returning to the form prior to his illness. Also Pryce and Webb have to fire. Lot will be expected of new centre-wing partnership of Oldfield-Pomeroy to give them a cutting edge. Looking forward to seeing Lima pairing up with man mountain Bousquet in front row at some stage.

Salford:

1. Jake Mullaney

2. Danny Williams

3. Martin Gleeson

4. Junior Sa'u

5. Francis Meli

6. Rangi Chase

7. Tim Smith

8. Adrian Morley

9. Tommy Lee

10. Lama Tasi

11.Tony Puletua

12. Gareth Hock

13. Steve Rapira

14. Theo Fages

15. Darrell Griffin

16. Andrew Dixon

17 Shannan McPherson

18. Harrison Hansen

19. Matty Ashurst

20. Adam Walne

21. Jordan Walne

22. Jason Walton

23. Greg Johnson

24. Stuart Howarth

25. Jordan Davies

26. Niall Evalds

27. Gareth Owen

28. Jon Ford

29. Will Hope

Jacob Emmit doesn't seem to have a squad number but is still contracted.

Having seen all that lot And adding Sts and Hull, I think it is going to be one season to remember, The warrington squad looks very strong to me,

yep there very strong 1 -17  but I think there remaining players don't offer that much  so I guess there keeping there fingers crossed on the injury front . there again there not the only ones

yep there very strong 1 -17  but I think there remaining players don't off that much  so I guess there keeping there fingers crossed on the injury front . there again there not the only ones

I'd probably extend that to 20, as outside of numbers 1-17 we have Evans, England, O'Brien and Dwyer who could all do good things. Interested to see Glenn Riley too.

As you say, a lot of clubs seem to be weaker outside of the top 13-17 though, which is probably how it should be rather than clubs hoarding the talent.

Wakefield Trinity

1. Richard MATHERS

2. Peter FOX

3. Dean COLLIS

4. Lee SMITH

5. Reece LYNE

6. Paul SYKES

7. Pita GODINET

8. Scott ANDERSON

9. Paul McSHANE

10. Andy RALEIGH

11. Ali LAUITIITI

12. Danny KIRMOND

13. Danny WASHBROOK

14. Matty WILDIE

15. Matt RYAN

16. Richard MOORE

17. Taulima TAUTAI

18. Kyle TROUT

19. Spare

20. Spare

21. Chris ANNAKIN

22. Lucas WALSHAW

23. Daniel SMITH

24. Jordan CROWTHER

25. Max JOWITT

26. Jon MOLLOY

27. Ben SHULVER

At least two more signings still to be made, expected to be a threequarter and a halfback although Richard Agar is also looking for a blockbusting seasoned front rower.

Far Far better than any Wakefield fan could have hoped for 3 months ago, the remaining signings could turn us from bottom four to potential play off contenders.

wakey also have jimmy klinehorst  from leeds who is going on a season long loan. 

a good centre who wont let them down

Saints squad for 2014:

1. Jonny Lomax
2. Tommy Makinson
3. Jordon Turner
4. Josh Jones
5. Adam Swift
6. Lance Hohaia
7. Luke Walsh
8. Mose Masoe
9. James Roby
10. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook
11. Sia Soliola
12. Jon Wilkin
13. Willie Manu
14. Anthony Laffranchi
15. Mark Flanagan
16. Kyle Amor
17. Paul Wellens
18. Alex Walmsley
19. Paul Clough
20. Richard Beaumont
21. Ade Gardner
22. Mark Percival
23. Joe Greenwood
24. Gary Wheeler
25. Ant Walker
26. Matt Dawson
27. Greg Richards*
28. Luke Thompson*
29. Jordan Hand
30. Carl Forster
31. James Tilley
32. Lewis Charnock*
33. Andre Savelio*
34. Connor Dwyer
35. Alex Clare

(The * denotes players eligible to play for the under 19s)

No idea how Saints will go next season but at least we have one authentic, genuine halfback in place who can do stuff like kick and organise, which in itself is a marked improvement on last season!

Looking ahead at 2014 the most surprising squad for me is Warrington, I think they will struggle to make the top 4.

It lacks depth and is going to be heavily reliant on the creativity of two players in particular that are injury prone in Ratchford and Myler.

I'm not over enthused by the starting 1 - 5 either!

On paper the strongest four squads by far are Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield and St Helens.

Salford have the potential to be a real thorn in the side of any team this season, but they also have the potential to implode at any given point!!!!

Top 4 for me will be Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield, St. Helens in that order.

Widnes

1. Rhys Hanbury

2. Jack Owens

3. Cameron Phelps

4. Stefan Marsh

5. Patrick Ah Van

6. Kevin Brown

7. Joe Mellor

8. Eamon O'Carroll

9. Jon Clarke

10. Ben Kavanagh

11. Dave Allen

12. Danny Tickle

13. Hep Cahill

14. Chris Dean

15. Lloyd White

16. Willie Isa

17. Danny Galea

18. Paul Johnson

19. Adam Lawton

20. Paddy Flynn

21. Danny Craven

22. Liam Carberry

23. Phil Joseph

24. Magraff Leuluai

25. Alex Gerrard

26. Steve Pickersgill

27. Tom Gilmore

28. Grant Gore

29. Declan Hulme

30. Kieran Butterworth

Looking ahead at 2014 the most surprising squad for me is Warrington, I think they will struggle to make the top 4.

It lacks depth and is going to be heavily reliant on the creativity of two players in particular that are injury prone in Ratchford and Myler.

I'm not over enthused by the starting 1 - 5 either!

Depends on the way you spin it.

Ratchford played 32 games last year he isnt injury prone. Myler had some injuries but is very good.

At 1 we have Russell one of the standouts of RLWC and he is replacing an injury prone 35 year old.

Our three quarters are settled and have consistently delivered and often been part of yhe best attack in SL. Not sure why anybody would question J Monaghan.

Depends on the way you spin it.

Ratchford played 32 games last year he isnt injury prone. Myler had some injuries but is very good.

At 1 we have Russell one of the standouts of RLWC and he is replacing an injury prone 35 year old.

Our three quarters are settled and have consistently delivered and often been part of yhe best attack in SL. Not sure why anybody would question J Monaghan.

Wire - Russell, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan

Russell did well in the World Cup but mostly played against lesser opposition and certainly showed off some areas of his game that he needs to improve as well as some very good attributes.

Are Riley and Bridge a good enough pairing to really worry that many defences or worry too many attacking sides...........I don't think they are. Atkins and Monaghan though are a very solid top class pairing.

Compare it to the best 1-5 on paper and you can see a big difference in my opinion.

That 1-5 being Leeds..............

Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall

Top top top class from 1-5

Wigan's only worry for me is Gelling if they play him at 5 as his squad number suggests they might.

Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Gelling

Not as good as Leeds but plenty of ability and for me in front of Wire's first choice 1-5.

Huddersfield are solid in Grix, McGilvray, Cudjoe, Wardle and Murphy and possess real strike with Cudjoe and Wardle, with the latter one to watch I think in 2014.

Saints possibly have the most youthful 1-5 and the most underrated back in SL in Tommy Makinson.

Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Jones and Swift all have tries in them and this season will have a much stronger pack to play behind as well as a proper halfback pairing, so I expect them to show more improvement than any other team.

So there you go on paper at 1-5 Wire I feel have a bit of catching up to do and outside of their top 17 lack real depth.

That said games are not played on paper but it could be a long season for Wire in my opinion and I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make top 4!!!

Wire - Russell, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan

Russell did well in the World Cup but mostly played against lesser opposition and certainly showed off some areas of his game that he needs to improve as well as some very good attributes.

Are Riley and Bridge a good enough pairing to really worry that many defences or worry too many attacking sides...........I don't think they are. Atkins and Monaghan though are a very solid top class pairing.

Compare it to the best 1-5 on paper and you can see a big difference in my opinion.

That 1-5 being Leeds..............

Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall

Top top top class from 1-5

Wigan's only worry for me is Gelling if they play him at 5 as his squad number suggests they might.

Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Gelling

Not as good as Leeds but plenty of ability and for me in front of Wire's first choice 1-5.

Huddersfield are solid in Grix, McGilvray, Cudjoe, Wardle and Murphy and possess real strike with Cudjoe and Wardle, with the latter one to watch I think in 2014.

Saints possibly have the most youthful 1-5 and the most underrated back in SL in Tommy Makinson.

Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Jones and Swift all have tries in them and this season will have a much stronger pack to play behind as well as a proper halfback pairing, so I expect them to show more improvement than any other team.

So there you go on paper at 1-5 Wire I feel have a bit of catching up to do and outside of their top 17 lack real depth.

That said games are not played on paper but it could be a long season for Wire in my opinion and I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make top 4!!!

Fair enough, valid enough reasons mate, not that I agree.

On your points about our three-quarters - the four in question have returned:

63 tries in 2013

74 tries in 2012

67 tries in 2011

So yes, I think they will worry plenty of defences.

Our main issue imho is if Ratchford can make that number 6 spot his own and control the team like Briers used to.